Oil - Use by date?

Jeff Cutler

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
Yep, it's the end of a new year, been cleaning out the utility room and found a case of AeroShell buried in a corner o_O. On the case it shows a 'use by date' of 012415... so do I toss it, or use for the next oil change?

It will turn back into dinosaurs within two years of the expiration date. Hurry up and use it!

Yep, it's the end of a new year, been cleaning out the utility room and found a case of AeroShell buried in a corner o_O. On the case it shows a 'use by date' of 012415... so do I toss it, or use for the next oil change?

I have an expired oil disposal service that can safely handle that for you. Send it to me, I'll cover shipping. It's the only safe thong to do.

BTW....it's for the children;)

Amusingly AeroShell said in a forum at Oshkosh you can just shake the stuff up and use it.

What does it say about an oil when its additive package has a use by date?

latest
latest

so why put a use by date on there ?
Lawyers and adhering to NATO standardization agreements.

http://www.shell.com/business-custo...339916ac568f024b0a4/aeroshell-book-1intro.pdf

and quoted therein from pages 1.24 and 1.25,
"The re-test periods and the tests required for AeroShell products are based primarily on those specified in the latest issue of NATO Standardization Agreement STANAG 3149 entitled 'Minimum Quality Surveillance of Petroleum Products'."
and
"To sum up In general, AeroShell products are inherently stable. If stored properly, their quality, properties and performance should not be affected by prolonged storage."

Joshua

The Phillips 66 data sheet lists a shelf life. Does it make a difference if it's expired? Good question. I had a gallon of Phillips that had been sitting around for a few years and went to add it along with a couple of fresh gallon jugs on a cool day. The older oil was thicker and poured slower than the new. Noticeably slower. That got my attention.

http://www.aviall.com/aviallstorefront/p/1045457=CP

I have about 20qts of various Aeroshell oils in my shed. All are near 20 years old. Free for the taking FOB south Anchorage. I won't use it.

If oil is in a sealed container it will not "age." If it is exposed to air then it will eventually oxidize which results in a higher viscosity and likely a darkening of the oil.

I wonder. Lots of articles pop up with a Google search. Most say motor oil additives (like viscosity modifiers and ashless dispersents) precipitate out of solution over time. Apparently cold storage makes it worse. Interesting.

There is a huge difference between "precipitation" and gravity segregation. If the "viscosity modifiers" segregate then the result will be the base oil viscosity which is lower than fresh product.

Whatever. I'm not schooled in such things. So why are there shelf life limits for motor oils?

So you'll use my 20-year old (stored in an unheated shed) oil in your plane?

I am interested in the topic. I'll ask a couple of my petroleum engineer friends tonight at dinner.

I'm a petroleum engineer but I'm not your friend. The person you really want to talk to is a chemical engineer who works in the downstream segment of the oil industry.

Yes, ship me the 20 year old oil which has always been in a sealed container. Oil is very stable...

I'm a petroleum engineer but I'm not your friend. The person you really want to talk to is a chemical engineer who works in the downstream segment of the oil industry.

Yes, ship me the 20 year old oil which has always been in a sealed container. Oil is very stable...
to a point.. the thicker the viscosity the more stable it is. the thinner oils like diesel fuel or jet-A the heavier molecules will fall out as sludge quicker.

Interesting. A fellow hanging up his wings was cleaning out his hangar and left me this at my hangar door last Wednesday. Would you use it?
IMG_5395.JPG

Interesting. A fellow hanging up his wings was cleaning out his hangar and left me this at my hangar door last Wednesday. Would you use it?
The one that is open ? not in an engine. hangar door rollers maybe.

Yeah I saw that after posting...thought the same thing. The others he left were the Phillips which looks current, and some black container Aeroshells which aren't that many years old but I don't ever remember seeing the white containers.

For you all that would use it, would you be ok with airlines violating their established guidelines and ignoring shelf life limitations?

The horse p!$$ they are selling for mogas today? Yes. The stuff from the 50s and 60s? Rarely.
Jim
I remember my dad either running the lawnmower dry or draining it, at the end of the season, and putting what was left in the gas can into the car, for some reason... oh yeah, so we'd use fresh gas next year... early 60's.

Back