Oil temp probe install

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
Does anyone have an idea of where to install a secondary oil temp probe in an O-320? I have a newly installed EI US-8A and was thinking about adding a oil temp probe but do not want to use the drain plug as is suggested in the EI install manual.

Does anyone have an idea of where to install a secondary oil temp probe in an O-320? I have a newly installed EI US-8A and was thinking about adding a oil temp probe but do not want to use the drain plug as is suggested in the EI install manual.

What do you have it hooked up to now? Mine runs as a 4 cylinder EGT & CHT.

What do you have it hooked up to now? Mine runs as a 4 cylinder EGT & CHT.

So does mine. I just thought that adding oil temp to one of the unused channels would be nice addition to the standard panel mount guage.

So does mine. I just thought that adding oil temp to one of the unused channels would be nice addition to the standard panel mount guage.

Thats why I asked, I don't have un-used channels with 4 egt and 4 cht probes.

Hmmm..On my unit there are 16 channels. Currently 8 are being used for 4-CHTs and 4-EGTs.

In all my toys / racecars /boats/ I always weld a fitting in the oil pan to get TRUE oil temps.. I want to know the REAL, extreme numbers..... Lyc and Conti use their location of oil temp probe on the return line back from the oil cooler..

So... If you do mount the new probe in the oil sump drain plug, Don't be surprised when it reads 30-50 degrees hotter... Because it will...:eek:

Back