Oil filters / changes for Cessna 150

samiamPA

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
samiamPA
Just got a new-to-me Cessna 150! It has about 1500 smoh and does not have an oil filter. I'm thinking about how to manage the oil changes.

It seems like the best thing to do would be to put an oil filter adapter on and change the oil and filter every 3-4 months. I only ask the question here because I'm likely only going to be putting 50 or at most 75 hours on per year. Thus, I would be doing a lot of changes based on calendar months and not hours.

1. With this low use time annually and high time engine, does a filter still make sense?
2. If the oil is changed every 4 months but the hours are low, do you always change the filter at the same time?
3. Is doing an oil analysis helpful with every oil change even if you are comparing a usage interval if the hours are different (for example, 8 hours vs 25 hours) or should it just be collected based on hourly intervals?

My thought is to just do it all, even if it's overkill, since oil is the cheapest part of owning an airplane and engines are pretty important.

Why would you not put an oil filter on an engine?

I'm amazed and a bit disappointed that a new O-200 doesn't come with one.

I'm in the same boat with my O200 140. It has a filter. I try to fly it weekly. Oil analysis is cheap.

My thought is to just do it all, even if it's overkill, since oil is the cheapest part of owning an airplane and engines are pretty important.
If this is your intent, then the answer to all your questions is yes. Following the OEM recommendations as you are doing is usually the best course all around.

Your money is better spent on oil, and change often. (25 hours)
you are at 1500 hours now, save the new filter for the overhaul.

A proper oil change involves more than just draining the oil. You’ll also need to pull the cowling to get to the oil screen on the lower rear of the accessory case to inspect it and clean as necessary. Done correctly also requires replacing the copper crush washer and re-safety wiring it. Installing a filter assembly deletes the screen. With a filter you don’t have to remove the lower cowl half. (Didn’t on mine). With a filter, you increase the oil capacity by nearly a quart leading to improved engine cooling. Also with a filter, you’ll increase longevity of the oil, also likely increasing the longevity of the engine.

I would only overhaul the engine when a problem arises (ie: excessive oil consumption or block crack, bearing wear, Ect). Top-overhaul/replace cylinders as necessary. TBO isn’t mandatory on a personally owned/operated a/c. By adding the oil filter you’ll be better able to see what is going on with the engine and save money by better longevity. A local flight school sees over 1,000hrs past o/h on its birds.

FWIW; I’ve experienced far more problems with recently overhauled engines than those nearing or past TBO. Better the devil you know than the devil you don’t...
I’d go ahead with the filter assembly. I did and never regretted.

Back