Oil filter picture instructions

I know you don't care, Tom, but I'm with Jesse on this one. Unprofessional. There are too many other perfectly legitimate ways to handle that situation.

I don't even know what it was supposed to accomplish. If it was completely impossible for you to avoid doing the oil change for him, then how were you possibly going to be able to avoid doing the next one...the one where you'd have to remove the oil filter you just near-permanently installed?

Doesn't make sense.

I know you don't care, Tom, but I'm with Jesse on this one. Unprofessional. There are too many other perfectly legitimate ways to handle that situation.

I don't even know what it was supposed to accomplish. If it was completely impossible for you to avoid doing the oil change for him, then how were you possibly going to be able to avoid doing the next one...the one where you'd have to remove the oil filter you just near-permanently installed?

Doesn't make sense.

Him not coming back. Besides, it was contact cement on steel and rubber, this isn't something destructive. Contact cement doesn't stand up to heat and hydrocarbons well.

Last edited:
Him not coming back. Besides, it was contact cement on steel and rubber, this isn't something destructive. Contact cement doesn't stand up to heat and hydrocarbons well.
There is just no way you're going to convince me that it is acceptable for a professional A&P-IA to intentionally install an oil filter incorrectly, apply rubber cement to something that shouldn't have rubber cement, and then proceed to incorrectly torque the hell out of it which could potentially cause damage. All to "get even" with a customer.

There is just no way you're going to convince me that it is acceptable for a professional A&P-IA to intentionally install an oil filter incorrectly, apply rubber cement to something that shouldn't have rubber cement, and then proceed to incorrectly torque the hell out of it which could potentially cause damage. All to "get even" with a customer.

First thing that will damage is the filter housing and it will be visible. I wouldn't do it, but there was no risk of harm or expensive damage. At worst it required half an hour to get off and scraped clean.

if the guy doesn't change his own oil anyway how is glueing the filter going to do anything but really annoy the next mechanic down the line?

First thing that will damage is the filter housing and it will be visible. I wouldn't do it, but there was no risk of harm or expensive damage. At worst it required half an hour to get off and scraped clean.
Either way it's not something a professional A&P-IA should be doing while working on an airplane. There is no reason for it. It's grade-school irresponsible.

I wouldn't expect you to do it Henning. You've never seemed to have posted anything indicating you would intentionally do bad work. I'd think you'd have the character to refuse work instead of doing something ridiculous.

I'd be steemed if someone did that to my motorcycle. If I found out a mechanic did that to my AIRPLANE they would be regretting their decision.

Last edited:
Jesse is still young, when he gets screwed a few more times and beat down by the system. He may find more amusement and justice in Toms method. Even if he personally wouldn't use it.

Lets tune back in in 50 years and see how he is doing?

Jesse is still young, when he gets screwed a few more times and beat down by the system. He may find more amusement and justice in Toms method. Even if he personally wouldn't use it.

Lets tune back in in 50 years and see how he is doing?

I don't understand your quote of being beat down by the system. If the guy is a PITA then tell him to leave and not come back.

Sorry guys but I'm with Jesse on this one. Screwing with someones property just because they annoy me is not a code I live by.

I'm 42.

Todd

Tom knows that what is said on this board comes back to haunt (re: Washington "IRS"). I have a feeling he's yanking your chains, guys.

I'm on the fence on this one, I wouldn't do it but having had problem customers I sure can understand the reasoning.

Tom knows that what is said on this board comes back to haunt (re: Washington "IRS"). I have a feeling he's yanking your chains, guys.

Well now we know who gets really up tight at the thought of me doing any thing out of the ordinary..

But it was a very long time ago. when aviation and owners were a different sort. You could have fun and play practical jokes on folks, and do things that are frowned upon now.

Remember we didn't have fences around our airports and kids would come into your hangar and asked if they could clean your hangar for a ride, but when you found an a##hole we would all have a go at him.

Some thing changed, aviation and airports aren't as much fun as they once were.

But do not misunderstand, what I did to this jerk, was intentional, and deliberate, to let him know he was not going to get good service from me any more, talking to him never seemed to work. this did. he had to pay to get the oil filter off, and that was a new ides to him. So he never came back, and that was good with me. mission accomplished.

OBTW this is the guy who busted SEA class B and got violated and lost his PPL-IA about a year after this oil filter incident

Last edited:
'85 Pontiac Bonneville, 5.0L Chevy small-block, Rochester E4ME carburetor, Turbohydramatic 200 transmission (made out of coffee cans). I ordered this car, so it had less than some1.5 miles on the clock (if that much).

At 1500 miles, first oil change: Comes time to remove the oil filter, and none of the filter wrenches will turn it. In goes the screwdriver, and finally I get it to turn. Some Neanderthal in Canada had apparently used an impact wrench.
And no oil on the gasket.

But for the airplane (Cherokee, O320), I use a torque wrench (at 180 inlbf) and no oil on the gasket (only because the manual sez not to--which makes no sense to me). Only because the FAA might pop open the hood and look around, given my luck, and note the little bit of oil about to drip and think, "aha!"

Only because the FAA might pop open the hood and look around, given my luck, and note the little bit of oil about to drip and think, "aha!"

The FAA would never do that, they will always ask permission to inspect.

I once put a new filter on using contact cement and a long cheater bar..

the cheap skate owner never asked me to change his oil for free again.

Fact is, I haven't seen him in a while.

How did you know you weren't going to be the next guy that had to remove the filter?

Highlight of my OSH trip, and directly related to (and came about by) this thread! I owe Ryan big time for asking the question that started this. When edited, I'll post a multi-camera multi-ship video of the acro routine they did with us. This is me, in ship #2, being photographed by Stan, in lead ship #1.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN8507.JPG
    DSCN8507.JPG
    389.2 KB · Views: 49
You could have fun and play practical jokes on folks, and do things that are frowned upon now.
That also may explain why Ford used that 3rd hidden bolt on the F-150 starter in the 1970s. It took a fully articulated arm, 14" minimum length, to even touch the bolt. Couldn't get at it from the top, find by braille from the bottom. Ford was just having a bit of fun. The die hard Ford owners took it in stride. The rest of us never went back.

BTW: knowing Tom and knowing that he woulda' done this to the cheapskate, I wouldn't hesitate to have Tom maintain my aircraft.

Screwing with someones property just because they annoy me is not a code I live by.
A guy wrapping the drive shaft on my truck with a 24" zip tie is annoying. A cheapskate that comes into the mx hanger drives away other work and affects the business bottom line and it's reputation. Hard to believe but a cuff behind the ears is all some people understand. Even then, they may not get the hint.

Back