Oil filter picture instructions

n12365

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
I am having problems understanding the last picture instruction on a Champion CH48110-1 oil filter. Can anyone explain what step 8 in the attached picture means?

Ryan

Attachments

• IMG_0474.JPG
    IMG_0474.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 175
I've always took it to mean do not puncture but really never payed too much attention to it because I know how to change them

don't dent/deform the canister during installation

easy to do if you use a strap wrench

A quick email to Champion gave the answer. I told him they need a new icon artist; there's not a screwdriver anywhere in that icon!

And I guess they've heard of Doctor Dave. :rofl:

EDIT: SEE CORRECTION EMAIL FROM KEVIN LATER IN THIS THREAD!

Hi Troy,

The icon is telling you not to stick a screwdriver through the can to install it or remove it. Sounds funny, huh? Believe it or not we get cans back with screwdriver holes in them and complaints that they leak. I guess the same people who need to be told that probably think we are telling them not to take a bite out of the side of the can. Maybe we are doing our part to save the teeth they have left....

Have a good weekend........kevin

attachment.php

Attachments

• noname.jpg
    noname.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
That would be an interesting advertisement:

"Our oil filters are so good, we have to print a warning for people not to eat them."

I may have removed one or two filters in my life my slamming a screw driver through it. Works well, makes a giant mess.

I too have pierced a filter cannister to remove however I just cannot imagine the stupidity to install using that method. I think we just discovered a new low to 'Hey ya'll, watch this'.

So tell me, given this is an oil filter for an aircraft engine, should I expect there are such pilots who think this is okey dokey for installation? :yikes:

I would bet that someone over-torqued the filter on installation and caused the gasket to leak; then they had to use the screwdriver through the can trick to remove it and then had the gall to send it to Champion complaining about the leak. No, it wasn't me.

Times are tight, and so are oil filters. Use the ol' screwdriver-through-the-core trick to remove, then flush it out with a little parts cleaner fluid (sometimes the nozzle from the parts cleaner fits perfectly in the screwdriver holes), wrap some duct tape around the body to cover the holes, and reinstall. It's those damn greedy oil filter companies who say you need to replace the filter at every change, but I'm smarter than that!!

Times are tight, and so are oil filters. Use the ol' screwdriver-through-the-core trick to remove, then flush it out with a little parts cleaner fluid (sometimes the nozzle from the parts cleaner fits perfectly in the screwdriver holes), wrap some duct tape around the body to cover the holes, and reinstall. It's those damn greedy oil filter companies who say you need to replace the filter at every change, but I'm smarter than that!!

:rofl:

wrap some duct tape around the body to cover the holes, and reinstall.

That's ridiculous! You know darned well that duct tape always needs a double wrap of baling wire on top to keep the tape in place. I am reporting you to the FAA Monday.

That's ridiculous! You know darned well that duct tape always needs a double wrap of baling wire on top to keep the tape in place. I am reporting you to the FAA Monday.

Baling wire? You must be some old guy. We use a hose clamp over the duct tape.

Dan

I am having problems understanding the last picture instruction on a Champion CH48110-1 oil filter. Can anyone explain what step 8 in the attached picture means?

Ryan

Don't dent it when tightening it.

Kevin sent me an update this morning....

Troy! You were right! I have always thought the little picture was telling people not to stick it with a screwdriver, but my history buffs here tell me that it's actually a picture of a dent. We always tell people not to use a dented can because it can interfere with the flow of oil through the filtration media, but I couldn't find explicit instructions to that point anywhere. I have passed it along to my engineer for the filter products to see if he can make it more clear. Thanks again for the feedback. If you ever get up to Oshkosh for Air Venture, make sure to swing by and see us. Thanks...........kevin

To: Kevin
Re: Question about spin-on oil filters

Thanks! I thought it meant "don't use if dented". You need a new graphics artist... ;-) There's not even a screwdriver in that picture!

I would bet that someone over-torqued the filter on installation and caused the gasket to leak; then they had to use the screwdriver through the can trick to remove it and then had the gall to send it to Champion complaining about the leak. No, it wasn't me.

Considering I once broke the welds off "nut" crushed the filter with a strap wrench then tore the whole end off after the screwdiver I put through the filter turned but not the filter:mad2::mad2:

Finally came off after pealing the can away from the base plate and heating it while beating on it in the loosening direction with a hammer/punch

That was a waste of a day that could have been avoided by the use of a torque wrench.:rolleyes2:

Considering I once broke the welds off "nut" crushed the filter with a strap wrench then tore the whole end off after the screwdiver I put through the filter turned but not the filter:mad2::mad2:

Finally came off after pealing the can away from the base plate and heating it while beating on it in the loosening direction with a hammer/punch

That was a waste of a day that could have been avoided by the use of a torque wrench.:rolleyes2:

Or oiling the gasket and using nothing more than hand strength to tighten the filter.

I have often had questions about the 16-18ftlbs shown on the side of champions, when it comes time to take off you wonder if 5 would have done the job very nicely.

I have often had questions about the 16-18ftlbs shown on the side of champions, when it comes time to take off you wonder if 5 would have done the job very nicely.

Best to use a bit of Dow Corning #4 silicone grease on the gasket. It will come off easier next time.

Dan

I once put a new filter on using contact cement and a long cheater bar..

the cheap skate owner never asked me to change his oil for free again.

Fact is, I haven't seen him in a while.

Best to use a bit of Dow Corning #4 silicone grease on the gasket. It will come off easier next time.

Dan

I use DC4. And one of those dedicated oil filter torque wrenches on installation.

FM_KS5639.jpg

Probably overkill, but no problems so far.

I seriously hope that's a joke.

Moral of the story: Don't tick off the A&P. Sometimes it's a lot more fun getting even with the cheap skate who is also a royal PITA. If it's done right, cheap skate won't dare to even think of coming back. Mission accomplished.

Moral of the story: Don't tick off the A&P. Sometimes it's a lot more fun getting even with the cheap skate who is also a royal PITA. If it's done right, cheap skate won't dare to even think of coming back. Mission accomplished.
One can refuse work instead of vandalizing someones property. I sure the hell wouldn't do business with anyone who thought that was an acceptable way to handle a customer.

Customers pay. This guy was a freeloader.

That freeloader would walk into the shop and start talking to you while you were working on some other customers aircraft, once he did while my PMA was doing an audit.

Rude and callous, cheap skate who had been told to take his aircraft to the other A&P-IA several times but thought I was joking with him.

Customers pay. This guy was a freeloader.
You can just refuse to work on his airplane. You don't have to vandalize a freeloaders airplane.

There is no way to justify intentionally vandalizing someone's property simply because they are a freeloader. The only way someone is a freeloader is if you enable it and do the work for free.
Tom-D said:
That freeloader would walk into the shop and start talking to you while you were working on some other customers aircraft, once he did while my PMA was doing an audit.

Rude and callous, cheap skate who had been told to take his aircraft to the other A&P-IA several times but thought I was joking with him.
So don't work on his airplane. I thought you were better then that Tom. You're working on expensive aircraft that people's life depend on and you decide to vandalize an owner's engine simply because the guy is annoying?

Putting someone's oil filter on with rubber cement and then tightening it with a huge cheater bar isn't a joke. Would you tell the FAA that you do work like that? Did you write exactly what you did in his logbook and sign your name on it?

Last edited:
You can just refuse to work on his airplane.

That didn't work...........

You don't have to vandalize a freeloaders airplane.

It wasn't a vandalism,, it did no damage to any thing but his ego..

There is no way to justify intentionally vandalizing someone's property simply because they are a freeloader. The only way someone is a freeloader is if you enable it and do the work for free.

Did that or a while, but he never tried to pay, thought flying was free

So don't work on his airplane.

It was simpler to do the repairs to get him to go away.

I thought you were better then that Tom. You're working on expensive aircraft that people's life depend on and you decide to vandalize an owner's engine simply because the guy is annoying?

Putting someone's oil filter on with rubber cement and then tightening it with a huge cheater bar isn't a joke. Would you tell the FAA that you do work like that? Did you write exactly what you did in his logbook and sign your name on it?

The rest of your post is simply a personal opinion..

What log books? I did give him a work order, it is his responsibility to get the sign off not mine.

Don't get your shorts in a wad Jesse, no one got hurt and every one involved got a laugh, cept the cheap skate.

Last edited:
Whatever Tom. There is no way you're going to convince me that a good way to handle someone's aircraft that you don't want to work on, is to work on it, and then proceed to rubber cement his oil filter on and over torque the hell out of it. That's a really good way to damage something.

I don't care if you got a "laugh" out of it, or your hangar buddies got a "laugh" out of it. I wouldn't find it funny if I was one of your paying customers and heard about it. In fact, I'd be going elsewhere. You're working on airplanes - not lawn mowers.

Can you say that cementing a rubber filter on an airplane and tightening with a long cheater bar is good work? Work that should be done on an airplane?

Last edited:

Brown 182?

Whatever Tom. There is no way you're going to convince me that a good way to handle someone's aircraft that you don't want to work on, is to work on it, and then proceed to rubber cement his oil filter on and over torque the hell out of it. That's a really good way to damage something.

I don't care if you got a "laugh" out of it, or your hangar buddies got a "laugh" out of it. I wouldn't find it funny if I was one of your paying customers and heard about it. In fact, I'd be going elsewhere. You're working on airplanes - not lawn mowers.

Can you say that cementing a rubber filter on an airplane and tightening with a long cheater bar is good work? Work that should be done on an airplane?

No matter Jesse, it'll never happen to you, you can count on it. but remember you play, you pay in one way or the other, and never PO your Mechanic.

Back