Oil filler door repair

where can this be done....acceptable to the administrator? Not a hinged oil door. :D
You made the flat statement, aluminum couldn't be soldered. That's wrong.
I've already told you where this can be done. read the thread.

you are probably mistaken about it being broken

Did you look at the pictures?

it is probably due to a pilot attempting some unauthorized maintenance

If opening up the door to check my oil level is unauthorized maintenance, then I'm guilty.

replacing the part would involve replacing 4 rivets which, since you have a type certificated aircraft, is a highly technical task that can only be accomplished properly with the requisite paperwork - and only a properly certificated A&P would be trained in correctly making log book entries and filling out invoices.

This is exactly the information and opinion I was seeking. Thank you.

You shouldn't have to ask!

You're right, I should be born with all knowing airplane mechanic abilities or I should be a mindless drone. Noted.

Ok you two, go have some left over turkey and call it a day. I'll buy a new latch and have it installed by the pros. :)

rivets can be replaced with screws and locknuts

Pilots refuse to spend money on the stupidest s***.

True, but I've also seen that with APs, I needed a new exhaust manifold, oh I can order one for this much, I asked who made the exhaust, well it was one of those aircraft specialty ones or something, when for like $100ish bucks more I could get a HD SS Acorn one, which is much better, last for the long haul, and also looks sweet when polished!

Not a knock on that AP, or the OP, but you don't know what you don't know.

rivets can be replaced with screws and locknuts
They can be replaced with chewing gum and twist-ties too, but it doesn't mean it's an appropriate repair. It also doesn't mean that a non-A&P can do such.

What Ron said,
and those latches don't fail enough to warrant it, your kids will qualify for the Dennie's discount before that latch needs to be replaced again.
And is not the CORRECT way of doing it, and it sticks out, and not in a good way to anyone who as been around planes.

Ok you two, go have some left over turkey and call it a day. I'll buy a new latch and have it installed by the pros. :)
Call Wentworth Aircraft salvage see if the have a complete door, then all you must do is pull the hinge wire and replace the whole door. way too easy.

Call Wentworth Aircraft salvage see if the have a complete door, then all you must do is pull the hinge wire and replace the whole door. way too easy.

And paint (depending on what color they have).

rattle can.

078.gif

why are you talking about wing tips?
IOWs you don't have clue about what is made in the "O" condition, or is it that you don't know what an aerodynamic faring is ?

Last edited:
IOWs you don't have clue about what is made in the "O" condition, or is it that you don't know what an aerodynamic faring is ?
here I thought we were talking about repairing an oil door?....:lol:

here I thought we were talking about repairing an oil door?....:lol:
We were, until you said aluminum couldn't be soldered. Let's face it you didn't know there was aluminum solder, let alone where it is acceptable to use.
When you are wrong you know I'll correct you.

after Tom is done with it will be....:lol:
After I'm done with that door repair, he'd have a new latch riveted on just like Beech did it. I can do that, he can't. But he could replace the door assembly with a new or used one.

Honestly, I don't recall any aircraft part left in "O" hardness after fabrication.
The whole cowl assembly of the Fairchild was, as are many of the classic era aircraft.

Oh! Okay. Aircraft that you wouldn't be concerned about a bird strike because birds are faster. LOL. Is that the type aircraft we're concerned with in this thread?

We were, until you said aluminum couldn't be soldered. Let's face it you didn't know there was aluminum solder, let alone where it is acceptable to use.
When you are wrong you know I'll correct you.
thank you Tom...if you only knew.:eek:

Back