Oil Brand / Type

What did you not understand about my request?

Let's make the question easier, would you rather replace your valves or your valve guides?

The answer to the previous question was lead forms a softer carbon deposit. which collects to the cooler component. ( the guide ) which is much easier to correct.
a simple valve guide reaming and you are on your way.

The non leaded fuels create a hard carbon that collects on the valve itself, then wears out the valve guide, only cure is the replacement of the guide. = Cylinder removal and probably a overhaul.

here is a picture of the typical unleaded valve. valve was perfect, guid was worn beyond usage allowing the valve to wobble and not seat properly.

Attachments

• exhaust valve.jpg
    exhaust valve.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 23
  • clean valves 1.jpg
    clean valves 1.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 23
Glues it to your valve stems, seats, and faces to cause top ends to wear out. Basically every issue that we have with cylinders comes from the mixture of carbon and lead. With unleaded fuel and EFI cylinders would go way longer than they do now.

And unleaded simply wears the whole mess out.

You mean his Bonanza. I don't doubt that he ever flew a 150, but when he traveled by air it was in a Bonanza. The IA at my old home field met him one time when he flew in. He said he was in shoes with holes in the soles, a suit with the lining tearing out and in what he called a "beat up" Bonanza.
He also had an old 182, I fueled him in it once at Harrison Arkansas. I asked him why he was flying a 182 instead of a G-IV. He said the G-IV couldn't do what the 182 does. What he used it for was to loiter over areas and watch traffic patterns when he was figuring out where to put a new store.

You guys need to get with the program and go all the way back to post #7! ;)

Sam had an Ercoupe and it's currently on display at the NW Arkansas air museum in Fayetteville. He may have had other planes later on in his career but what he's famous for is flying his little Ercoupe to various stores and checking to see how many cars were in the parking lot from the air. Not a bad way to spend the day.

You were in Harrison, Henning? When was that?

Back