Ohio and aviation firsts

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Heard on Paul Harvey this morning (paraphrasing)

"The first men to fly were from Ohio.
The first man into outer space was from Ohio.
The first man to step on the moon was from Ohio.

What is it about Ohio that causes people to go to such great lengths to leave?"

I'd be more curious about what is it about Ohio that instills adventure in people?

gkainz said:
Heard on Paul Harvey this morning (paraphrasing)

"The first men to fly were from Ohio.
The first man into outer space was from Ohio.
The first man to step on the moon was from Ohio.

And Paul had one fact wrong. The first man into outer space was not from Ohio, he was from the Soviet Union. The first American to orbit the earth was from Ohio. Otherwise, it was a cute story.

What is it with Ohio, anyway? :D

yeah, maybe that's what Paul said... maybe it was "The first American..." ... it was early, I was running late and didn't make coffee, the line what too long at the gas station to get a cup to go... excuses, excuses...

gkainz said:

That's funny, I always thought the same thing about NJ.

(before you send a flame, look left)

Ken Ibold said:
Hey, as a native of Cincinnati I resemble that remark!

You're a Cincy native?!? Grew up on Skyline?!?

I lived there for a few years up in Clifton Gaslight. Still have friends there.

gkainz said:
yeah, maybe that's what Paul said... maybe it was "The first American..." ... it was early, I was running late and didn't make coffee, the line what too long at the gas station to get a cup to go... excuses, excuses...

I heard it too. What I heard was "the first person to go into orbit", and that was wrong, too. Still had to be qualified as the first American in orbit. Oh well...

wsuffa said:

I lived there for a few years up in Clifton Gaslight. Still have friends there.
I have found Skyline (frozen) in the grocery store a few times. Grossed my wife out big time, but sure tasted GOOOOOOOOD to have a 5-way again.

Saw Ted Klesewski hit a homer that I swear was still going up when it hit the Crosley Field scoreboard, went to a game during the first Series at Riverfront and dad scored 45-yard-line club seats for one of the first Bengals games. Good memories.

gibbons said:
Too easy. I'm not going to comment on that.
Careful, Chip! I have incriminating video now. We wouldn't want to see that in the wrong hands, now would we?

I don't always have 5-ways, y'know. 3-ways are good, too.

"Whooooooshhhhh!"
(The sound of the above comments going way over my head)

Ken Ibold said:
I have found Skyline (frozen) in the grocery store a few times. Grossed my wife out big time, but sure tasted GOOOOOOOOD to have a 5-way again.

Saw Ted Klesewski hit a homer that I swear was still going up when it hit the Crosley Field scoreboard, went to a game during the first Series at Riverfront and dad scored 45-yard-line club seats for one of the first Bengals games. Good memories.

Fresh is best.

About time for me to visit and get a dose.

Ken Ibold said:
Careful, Chip! I have incriminating video now. We wouldn't want to see that in the wrong hands, now would we?
I want to see the video!!! I promise not to show it to anyone else. :yes:

gkainz said:
"Whooooooshhhhh!"
(The sound of the above comments going way over my head)
Skyline Chili is a local institution, although some think the chili is gross because Cincinnati style chili has cinnamon and sometimes unsweetened chocolate in it. It's typically served over spaghetti with shredded cheese (3-way). Add diced onions or red beans for a 4-way. Add onions and red beans for a 5-way.

http://www.skylinechili.com

Ken Ibold said:
Skyline Chili is a local institution, although some think the chili is gross because Cincinnati style chili has cinnamon and sometimes unsweetened chocolate in it. It's typically served over spaghetti with shredded cheese (3-way). Add diced onions or red beans for a 4-way. Add onions and red beans for a 5-way.

Also called Skilinia's by the locals, sorta like shopping at Tar-Jay.

When I was building a datacenter in Cinci, I once brought back a motherlode of Skyline. I had a bucket of "Chili Mac" I carried on and put in the overhead bin and a bunch of cans of chili in my checked bags.

We can get Skyline frozen here, too.

Brought back a mess of catfish and trimmings from Uncle B??? in Nashville once, too.

Ken Ibold said:

When I was there, we had a first-timer ask to go to lunch with us.

He ordered a 5-way, a cheese coney, and a (urp) chili taco.

And then he rushed to catch a flight to Atlanta. As I recall, his admin assistant described his trip back as "very unpleasant". :vomit:

I don't think he ever went into a Skyline again.

I, on the other hand, can't wait for my next fix. Skip the taco.

wsuffa said:

Skyline just ain't right... :vomit:

Come up here and I'll make you some real chilli.

Missa

Missa said:
Skyline just ain't right... :vomit:

Come up here and I'll make you some real chilli.

Missa

OK, next time I can get up that way.

wsuffa said:
OK, next time I can get up that way.

Carefull, I think that Cinniman has it's place in apple pies, cider and french toast... but shoud in no way come anyplace near Chilli!

If you like Skyline, you may not like my Chilli... it has well, chilli peppers in it that you can actually taste!

Missa

Missa said:
Carefull, I think that Cinniman has it's place in apple pies, cider and french toast... but shoud in no way come anyplace near Chilli!

If you like Skyline, you may not like my Chilli... it has well, chilli peppers in it that you can actually taste!

Missa

I like about any type of chili. Some good stuff in Texas, too.

wsuffa said:
I like about any type of chili. Some good stuff in Texas, too.

Ditto. I love the variations. I like Cinci chili, Texas chili and even the stuff at Steak and Shake. I make big batches myself.

You can get McCormick Cincinnati chili mix which makes a pretty good representation. I also like Carol Shelby's Texas chili mix.

:cheers:

Yeah, why does everyone want to leave Ohio?

Welcome signs on the border of various states:

Maine: The Atlantic State!
Massachussets: Freedom's Cradle!
New York: The Empire State!
Pennsylvania: America Starts Here!
Ohio: Its Pretty Dull from here on out...

Ohio State Buckeyes? :fingerwag:

I'm a native of Ohio - and left 40 years ago. I'm from Akron - my Grandfather, Father, Mother, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins - all worked for the rubber companies. Didn't want to do that, so left as soon as I was free to go.

Coincidentally, I picked up a pack of frozen Skyline and had it last night. I've tried it a couple of times in Cincinnati as well - and the attraction is lost on me. I'll eat it, but definitely prefer other varieties. I always keep a can of Vietti Chili, from Nashville, TN in the cupboard.

Dave

We have skylines here in C'bus. We once had visitors from the west coast for a couple days, and we decided to take them for skyline, just to give them a bit of local flavor. We met another fried of their for lunch who hoped they hadn't been exposed to that awful chili.

Any POAers hit my town I'll happily take out for a three-way.

yeah, maybe that's what Paul said... maybe it was "The first American..." ...
Even then Paul would be wrong. The first American into space was Al Shepard he was from New Hampshire, the 2nd American into space was Gus Grissom from Indiana and the third American, who was the first American to orbit the earth was John Glenn and he WAS from Ohio as had been mentioned.

The first man into space was indeed from the USSR and his name was Yuri Gagarin and he was from what is now known as Smolensk Oblast, Russia

There is one reason people leave Ohio: the weather. 61 degrees in August just ain't right.

Everything else is merely a contributing factor.

Summer has been spectacular this year. The schlubs down in the Carolinas can have all that hot sticky stuff. I'll happily take all the cool wx we've had.

Summer has been spectacular this year. The schlubs down in the Carolinas can have all that hot sticky stuff. I'll happily take all the cool wx we've had.

It's been cool, but it's been raining a ton. I've only been able to have the top down on my Jeep for one week, and even then it got rained in. We can't seem to stitch together more than 2 or 3 rainless days.

I hate the hot, sticky stuff with a passion, but my ideal would be something out west, like Arizona or New Mexico. Somewhere where it's hot but not humid. I spent a week in Phoenix this summer and loved it.

I hate the hot, sticky stuff with a passion, but my ideal would be something out west, like Arizona or New Mexico. Somewhere where it's hot but not humid. I spent a week in Phoenix this summer and loved it.

Down where I am we've had tons of good wx with little rain. Seriously. Weather or not I would like my time in Phoenix depends on the week. It gets HOT there.

Back