O'Hare eight - unable to comply with altitude?

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
I am listening to the Live ATC feed for the KORD Clearance/Metering freq. After being asked if they can comply with all heading and altitude requirements, I am hearing quite a few guys saying they are unable to comply with the altitude restrictions on the SID. Why is that?? Is it that they just don't want to?

They're probably multi engine airplanes that can't make the climb gradient with an engine inop. Since it's probably (without actually looking at the SID/airport info) an ATC requirement for aircraft separation rather than an obstacle requirement, they simply stagger operations to maintain separation.

I bet it was my company, call-sign "Weber." I've never heard any other operator decline it... The standard DME O-8 is to climb to 3,000' by 5 miles ORD DME, 4,000' by 8 ORD DME, and top out at 5,000'. Since we fly Caravans which have a low thrust-to-weight ratio (campared to the jets which the O-8 was designed for), we sometimes have to decline it. If we depart 22L, you start out about 1.3 DME from ORD VOR, and fly away from it. Combine that with hot/heavy/tailwind ect, the climb gradient needed is more than what we can achieve. A departure from the other standard runways for our ops (28C, 10C, 9R) can usually be achieved, unless a particularly stiff tailwind. I do know that some pilots don't want to cut it too close and will decline it if, for example, our climb gradient calculated with reported conditions will give less than 1 mile of "buffer".

Last edited:
They're probably multi engine airplanes that can't make the climb gradient with an engine inop. Since it's probably (without actually looking at the SID/airport info) an ATC requirement for aircraft separation rather than an obstacle requirement, they simply stagger operations to maintain separation.
The 0-8 is designed to get ORD departures above the corridor for MDW. If you can comply with the climb-via, then great, nothing to worry about from an ATC side. If not, then they need to coordinate the non-compliant ORD departure with the MDW to ensure the separation. I'm hoping Marc Z will be along shortly and correct/confirm my basic understanding here...

Last edited:
The 0-8 is designed to get ORD departures above the corridor for MDW. If you can comply with the climb-via, then great, nothing to worry about from an ATC side. If not, then they need to coordinate the nonn-compliant ORD departure with the MDW to ensure the separation. I'm hoping Marc Z will be along shortly and correct/confirm my basic understanding here...

Yeah, "simply" was a bit of an oversimplification on my part. ;)

A380 is correct. The ORD 8 departure however serves several purposes. First and foremost, the climb gradient allows ORD ATCT to climb departures on any "fanned" heading clear of the arrivals dump area. That way the tower can spit out departures without delay and the ORD departure will climb above MDW, PWK, DPA, 06C, and all other satellite traffic. When aircraft cannot comply, the tower supervisor calls the TRACON, who assigns the initial heading after coordinating with the affected departure and satellite sectors. So if I'm working satellite, I know a heavy (or WBR) is coming off ORD negative SID, and I know I need to miss that departure with my traffic.

Just a tip for you GA folks who depart Chicago satellite airports...The other purpose of the ORD 8 departure is for all TRACON departures leaving the airspace en-route. All the fixes on the ORD 8 are the TRACON fixes we use when feeding departures to our neighboring facilities (either ZAU or tower en-route TRACON's). For example, if you are filing off PWK heading to LNK, you're going to want to file a westbound fix (MYKIE, NOONY, or PLL).

Thanks. So there is obviously more concerns with respect to climb performance on these SIDS or larger aircraft than matching up the climb rate per NM on the takeoff minimums. I wouldn't have thought big jets would struggle with 220'-240' per NM.

...I know a heavy (or WBR)...
I've never been compared to a heavy before... :goofy: Didn't realize they had to decline it that often.

Additionally Mark, how critical is it for you to get the word that we won't make the climb? Obviously 95% of the time we'll know early and let clearance delivery know, but occasionally they'll take us from 28R and we're positive SID climb and last minute switch us to 22L and we're negative. Obviously it was out of our control and we'll let whoever know right away, but just curious what kind of impact that change makes on your side.

For the most part, jet performance is determined with an engine inop. Take away 50% of the airplane's rated thrust (or more, if the density altitude is high enough), and performance can get a bit, shall we say, sluggish.:yes:

Didn't realize they had to decline it that often.

It's pretty common on the 747 and the 777 and other large airplanes, especially during the summer. At gross weight and on a hot day it just isn't possible to make the climb restriction comfortably.

For what it is worth, it isn't an engine out issue. The E word trumps all of those restrictions.

It's pretty common on the 747 and the 777 and other large airplanes, especially during the summer. At gross weight and on a hot day it just isn't possible to make the climb restriction comfortably.

For what it is worth, it isn't an engine out issue. The E word trumps all of those restrictions.
Learn something new everyday, thanks.

I've never been compared to a heavy before... :goofy: Didn't realize they had to decline it that often.

Additionally Mark, how critical is it for you to get the word that we won't make the climb? Obviously 95% of the time we'll know early and let clearance delivery know, but occasionally they'll take us from 28R and we're positive SID climb and last minute switch us to 22L and we're negative. Obviously it was out of our control and we'll let whoever know right away, but just curious what kind of impact that change makes on your side.

Yeah, it's mostly heavies during warm weather, and small GA type that have issues with the climb gradient.

If your ability to comply changes with the runway change, just tell the tower as soon as you know. ORD local will take care of the rest.

I bet it was my company, call-sign "Weber." I've never heard any other operator decline it... The standard DME O-8 is to climb to 3,000' by 5 miles ORD DME, 4,000' by 8 ORD DME, and top out at 5,000'.

:lol: I flew yesterday in the 20 degrees F and gusty winds in my Cherokee 235. I could have done climb easily. I had to make an effort to keep the sucka below the Bravo.

Accepting the SID only requires compliance with all engines. Failing to make the climb restrictions after losing an engine isn't a concern since at that point you'll be an emergency aircraft.

What if that climb restriction was for terrain or obsticals? No problem, most operators develop or pay for single engine procedures based on the airport and runway. So if the engine cages you abandon the SID, fly the SE procedure and tell ATC what you're doing when you have time. My standard phrase once aircraft control and navigating are good is to tell ATC "we've lost an engine, declaring an emergency, and are complying with alternate routing, standby"

Point is SID compliance isn't based on engine out performance.

Accepting the SID only requires compliance with all engines. Failing to make the climb restrictions after losing an engine isn't a concern since at that point you'll be an emergency aircraft.

Point is SID compliance isn't based on engine out performance.
I still think what MauleSkinner said was correct: "They're probably multi engine airplanes that can't make the climb gradient with an engine inop."

If your SOP is to plan on using ODPs and SIDs come hell or high water (no alternative solutions) you would decline it if the gradient can't be met. Purchased emergency procedures are based on engine failures at V1. What are you gonna do if it fails afterwards and you've already turned onto a SID? A lot of those store-bought procedures, IIRC, are to maintain runway heading.

dtuuri

I still think what MauleSkinner said was correct: "They're probably multi engine airplanes that can't make the climb gradient with an engine inop."

If your SOP is to plan on using ODPs and SIDs come hell or high water (no alternative solutions) you would decline it if the gradient can't be met. Purchased emergency procedures are based on engine failures at V1. What are you gonna do if it fails afterwards and you've already turned onto a SID? A lot of those store-bought procedures, IIRC, are to maintain runway heading.

dtuuri

They do plan on runway heading...unless obstacles or terrain penetrate to protection zone. If an operator is in fact turning down SIDs due to inability to comply in the event of an engine failure they are doing it wrong. That last sentence is not opinion, IMO.

On our side of the radar, we protect an east-west line 4 miles north of MDW for O'Hare departures. That's where the ORD traffic needs to be at 4000 to protect the MDW traffic climbing to 3000 (particularly the 250 heading off MDW's 31C).

From the ATC standpoint, a 180 heading off 22L puts you at conflict with the MDW departures westbound, where a 220 heading gives much more room before there is a conflict. If you can't make the SID going southbound, ORD ATCT should give a 200 or 220 heading off 22L, which will give time to cross the 4 miles north of MDW line, as opposed to the 180 heading which gets you to that line much sooner.

A lot of the heavies also can't comply with the 250-KT requirement on the SID...they'll need to do 260 or 270 in their climb out, so sometimes "negative SID" isn't just for the initial climb.

If an operator is in fact turning down SIDs due to inability to comply in the event of an engine failure they are doing it wrong. That last sentence is not opinion, IMO.
IMO, there may be no other reasonable option than to use another procedure or wait for VFR weather.

dtuuri

IMO, there may be no other reasonable option than to use another procedure or wait for VFR weather.

dtuuri

?

121 doesn't have that option. We're talking about ORD and SIDs, right?

?

121 doesn't have that option. We're talking about ORD and SIDs, right?
I was commenting on "Point is SID compliance isn't based on engine out performance." Of course that's a true statement, but if you don't have special OEI procedures developed by an engineering department you can simply plan your departure the normal way assuming engine failure at V1. If a Caravan can't make the gradient at ORD, I'm guessing some multiengine aircraft (on one) can't either.

dtuuri

My point is the decision to do the SID or not is not based on OEI performance. When deciding if you can comply with the altitudes you consider all engines operating. Especially true if'n you're flying a Caravan.

If your company pays for runway analysis then great, your OEI route is right there if needed. If it's not there then it's straight out you go. If your company doesn't buy it then you get to do it yourself. Part of that "be familiar with all aspects of flight" thing.

I've never heard of a company flying a jet that doesn't buy runway data, BTW. I suppose it's possible, but it'd be pretty reckless IMO.

So, the idea folks are turning down SIDs based on non-compliance should an engine fail is incorrect. That doesn't, or at least shouldn't, happen.

My point is the decision to do the SID or not is not based on OEI performance. When deciding if you can comply with the altitudes you consider all engines operating. Especially true if'n you're flying a Caravan.

If your company pays for runway analysis then great, your OEI route is right there if needed. If it's not there then it's straight out you go. If your company doesn't buy it then you get to do it yourself. Part of that "be familiar with all aspects of flight" thing.

I've never heard of a company flying a jet that doesn't buy runway data, BTW. I suppose it's possible, but it'd be pretty reckless IMO.

So, the idea folks are turning down SIDs based on non-compliance should an engine fail is incorrect. That doesn't, or at least shouldn't, happen.
Different strokes for different folks. Just because you buy some data doesn't mean you have a better plan.

dtuuri

Different strokes for different folks. Just because you buy some data doesn't mean you have a better plan.

dtuuri

From my experience it does mean exactly that. No pilot can do as detailed an analysis as the engineer who's day in day out job is nothing but analyzing runways. It typically takes APG a couple days to get the data for a new airport/aircraft/engine configuration.

The pilot who launches on his own might be checking a few data points. The engineer is checking literally hundreds.

From my experience it does mean exactly that. No pilot can do as detailed an analysis as the engineer who's day in day out job is nothing but analyzing runways. It typically takes APG a couple days to get the data for a new airport/aircraft/engine configuration.

The pilot who launches on his own might be checking a few data points. The engineer is checking literally hundreds.
Most of the engine out departure procedures are runway heading, right? If you lose an engine at V1 that could be around 20 miles before you reach 1500', right? (A quick deduction based on 200'/nm being 3.3% and 1.2% being 1/3 of that.) There you are, at pattern altitude a long way from the pattern with no positive course guidance at all. How's that a good thing?

On the other hand, you can plan the departure like any other with the exception that you assume you lose an engine and have a poor climb gradient. Of course, corporate pilots actually do (or should do) the work themselves, but airline types have to live with what the company furnished.

dtuuri

One more thing... the Instrument Procedures Handbook includes this revealing statement concerning company/store-bought analyses:
"A takeoff weight limit provided on the analysis does not necessarily ensure compliance with the all-engines-operating climb gradient published on an IFR departure procedure even if the track of the OEI special procedure and the IFR departure procedure are identical."​
In other words, you'll be loaded down with too much profit-making payload to get to altitude safely, but those who planned for safety instead of profit will.

dtuuri

Last edited:
One more thing... the Instrument Procedures Handbook includes this revealing statement concerning company/store-bought analyses:
"A takeoff weight limit provided on the analysis does not necessarily ensure compliance with the all-engines-operating climb gradient published on an IFR departure procedure even if the track of the OEI special procedure and the IFR departure procedure are identical."​
In other words, you'll be loaded down with too much profit-making payload to get to altitude safely, but those who planned for safety instead of profit will.

dtuuri

Super. To counter my point that SIDs are based on all engines operating you quote the IPH that warns the performance data on the RUNWAY ANALYSIS doesn't mean you have the performance to comply with the SID and goes on to point out ALL ENGINES OPERATING.

What's more, that little blurb comes immediately after the section that black and white says exactly what I said. Here it is, literally the sentence before your quote In the Instrument Procedures Handbook (Link in Previous Post):

"An engine failure during takeoff is a non-normal condition, and therefore the actions taken by the pilot including the use of an OEI turn procedure takes precedence over noise abatement, air traffic, SIDs, DPs, and other normal operating considerations."​

Nobody cares if you make SID altitudes after you lose an engine and that is no reason to decline a SID. You accept the SID based on your ability to comply with all the engines working. The runway analysis data and OEI procedure if applicable only ensure you don't hit man made or nature made actual stuff with or without an engine failure. It doesn't consider make believe points in space required by various SIDs because that would be crazy complex and, again...you blow off the SID if you lose an engine.

Last edited:
Super. To counter my point that SIDs are based on all engines operating you quote the IPH that warns the performance data on the RUNWAY ANALYSIS doesn't mean you have the performance to comply with the SID and goes on to point out ALL ENGINES OPERATING.
No, that's not the point I want to counter. I agree that SIDs are all-engine. It's a point that I think that's so obvious, in fact, I didn't see the need for an advisory circular (AC 120-91) in the first place. The point I want to counter is your statement that it's "wrong" to plan an IFR departure using OEI performance from the AFM. That's something I and many others had done for years. There's more than one way to skin a cat. My point is the technique in the AC is driven by economic forces, not safety. "My" technique preserves TERPS safety margins, the Advisory Circular compromises it, though you could argue it's still safe if you think TERPS is overly cautious.

dtuuri

No, that's not the point I want to counter. I agree that SIDs are all-engine. It's a point that I think that's so obvious, in fact, I didn't see the need for an advisory circular (AC 120-91) in the first place. The point I want to counter is your statement that it's "wrong" to plan an IFR departure using OEI performance from the AFM. That's something I and many others had done for years. There's more than one way to skin a cat. My point is the technique in the AC is driven by economic forces, not safety. "My" technique preserves TERPS safety margins, the Advisory Circular compromises it, though you could argue it's still safe if you think TERPS is overly cautious.

dtuuri

I don't think I ever said it was 'wrong'. Just not as safe. On your best day you consult what...three or four spaghetti charts out of the AFM? Paid data uses them all. It's computerized and has an engineer working the numbers. No pilot here can come close to doing what they do. That's just a fact, don't feel bad.

I suspect you are safe and just don't operate close to limits. That's fine, but I do. Look down your nose at what is clearly safer all ya want. It is what it is.

BTW, this has been a pretty annoying argument. You're all over the place changing the argument and posting stuff that doesn't even support your point. Try to clean that up, will ya?

Most of the engine out departure procedures are runway heading, right?
I would say, "no." Almost all of the EO DPs I've seen have some sort of turn after departure. The whole idea is that you can't fly runway heading without hitting an obstacle, therefore a turn is required.

These EO DPs can be simple, like in ANC, or downright complicated like at ROA, but they almost all require some sort of turn.

They do plan on runway heading...unless obstacles or terrain penetrate to protection zone. If an operator is in fact turning down SIDs due to inability to comply in the event of an engine failure they are doing it wrong. That last sentence is not opinion, IMO.
It depends. Is the climb gradient published for obstacle avoidance or for ATC climb rate? Flying a multi-engine airplane in the ANG (KC-135R), this is the basic Air Force guidance: All climb gradients that are published for obstacle avoidance have to be able to be met with One Engine Inoperative (OEI). If the climb gradient is published for ATC crossing restrictions, we only have to meet that with All Engines Operating. To me, this makes sense. If the climb is for an obstacle, you can't just tell ATC that you've lost an engine and to move the mountain in front of you.

At my civilian job, if we can't meet the published climb gradient, we either have to pick another runway, pick another departure, or ask ATC for a radar vector departure.

If your SOP is to plan on using ODPs and SIDs come hell or high water (no alternative solutions) you would decline it if the gradient can't be met. Purchased emergency procedures are based on engine failures at V1. What are you gonna do if it fails afterwards and you've already turned onto a SID?
The constructed EO procedures do assume a failure at V1, and are good until you diverge from the EO routing. Even after airborne, if you are still on the EO routing, you can still fly it. If you have already departed the routing, due to turning on the DP, you're on your own and just have to avoid the rocks using whatever means you can.
A lot of those store-bought procedures, IIRC, are to maintain runway heading.
They aren't. See above.

I don't have data, but my guess is that 'most' EOPs are straight out. That position holds from my experience too, however, I haven't taken off from every runway at every airport so I can't say with absolute certainty.

Another clue would be building codes. For a random runway at a random airport you'd expect the area most clear of obstacles to be on the runway centerline. Obviously there are examples contrary to this...but in general they limit obstacles on the runway centerline.

I don't have data, but my guess is that 'most' EOPs are straight out. That position holds from my experience too, however, I haven't taken off from every runway at every airport so I can't say with absolute certainty.
I disagree. Any of the published EOPs I've seen at work have some sort of turn after departure. Obviously, if there is no obstacle issue, you'll climb straight out. If you can't go straight out, there will probably be a turn, and a EOP may be published.

I picked a few random airports where there may be obstacle issues and looked at the EOPs that Jepp published for us. All turning. If you can think of some that you may go straight out, let me know, and I'll look.
KSLC%2520EOP-page-001.jpg
KLAS%2520EOP-page-001.jpg
KROA%2520EOP-page-001.jpg

view

I don't think I ever said it was 'wrong'.
You did.

On your best day you consult what...three or four spaghetti charts out of the AFM? Paid data uses them all. It's computerized and has an engineer working the numbers. No pilot here can come close to doing what they do. That's just a fact, don't feel bad.
Not true. Those charts are for pilots, that's why they're onboard the airplane in the AFM and required to be there.

I suspect you are safe and just don't operate close to limits. That's fine, but I do. Look down your nose at what is clearly safer all ya want.
Can't you see the irony in this statement?

BTW, this has been a pretty annoying argument. You're all over the place changing the argument and posting stuff that doesn't even support your point. Try to clean that up, will ya?
I think it's annoying for you because you don't understand the issues. I'd suggest getting familiar with basic departure procedure design under TERPS, reading Chapter 4 of any Part 25 airplane and then studying AC 120-91 to see an approved method for shaving TERPS criteria to allow for more payload. "Safer" it is not, IMO.

dtuuri

Almost all of the EO DPs I've seen have some sort of turn after departure. The whole idea is that you can't fly runway heading without hitting an obstacle, therefore a turn is required.
We're in agreement on everything else and would be on this too if you can accept that a straight-out procedure is an exception to TERPS criteria also. Take a diverse departure under TERPS as an example. A pilot adjusting takeoff weight to meet a 3.3% OEI climb gradient can depart in any direction, but an operator meeting only second segment climb requirements of 2.4% is restricted to runway heading. The lateral buffer is just 2000' either side of centerline too, so it's much less of a safe operation, IMO.

dtuuri

We're in agreement on everything else and would be on this too if you can accept that a straight-out procedure is an exception to TERPS criteria also. Take a diverse departure under TERPS as an example. A pilot adjusting takeoff weight to meet a 3.3% OEI climb gradient can depart in any direction, but an operator meeting only second segment climb requirements of 2.4% is restricted to runway heading. The lateral buffer is just 2000' either side of centerline too, so it's much less of a safe operation, IMO.

dtuuri

2,000' is just for straight out. It goes to 3,000' with a turn. It's safe. That's almost a mile wide corridor to hold a heading and well over a mile wide with a turn.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, goes through each and every spaghetti chart for every takeoff...tell me you do.

I don't think I ever said it was 'wrong'. Just not as safe. On your best day you consult what...three or four spaghetti charts out of the AFM? Paid data uses them all. It's computerized and has an engineer working the numbers.

Not true. Those charts are for pilots, that's why they're onboard the airplane in the AFM and required to be there.
Captain is correct about this. You are not going to design an alternate procedure like those shown in post #32 just by using the spaghetti charts because you also need the surrounding terrain and obstacle information. This is what the engineers do.

I think it's annoying for you because you don't understand the issues. I'd suggest getting familiar with basic departure procedure design under TERPS, reading Chapter 4 of any Part 25 airplane and then studying AC 120-91 to see an approved method for shaving TERPS criteria to allow for more payload. "Safer" it is not, IMO.
TERPS departure procedure design and Part 25 standards use different methods to calculate climb gradient/performance. Here is a good article which explains the whole thing.

http://www.nbaa.org/ops/safety/clim...ne-inoperative-climb-performance-planning.php

As a consequence of the obscurity and lack of understanding related to the integrated system components of takeoff performance computations, the variability of AFM aircraft performance charts, TERPS and departure charting requirements and limitations, Part 25 aircraft certification requirements, and the difficulty in obtaining obstacle information in the takeoff path, the ability for pilots to determine exact flight paths and takeoff weights is problematic, thus relying on SIDs and ODPs is a convenient way to manage OEI performance planning. However, failure to account for critical differences between the TERPS criteria, the Part 25 OEI takeoff certification rules, and the operating rules OEI takeoff obstacle avoidance contained in Subpart I, pilots are confronted with the highlighted problem areas.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, goes through each and every spaghetti chart for every takeoff...tell me you do.
Of course not. If diverse departures are allowed and you know from experience the single engine climb gradient is around 5 or 6 % why would you? Planning for a departure off less cut and dried runways, like RWY 25 at KLUK need a bit more thought. But it's quite doable. Figuring the departure fuel load keeps Part 91 pilots from boredom too. :)

dtuuri

Captain is correct about this. You are not going to design an alternate procedure like those shown in post #32 just by using the spaghetti charts because you also need the surrounding terrain and obstacle information. This is what the engineers do.

TERPS departure procedure design and Part 25 standards use different methods to calculate climb gradient/performance. Here is a good article which explains the whole thing.

http://www.nbaa.org/ops/safety/clim...ne-inoperative-climb-performance-planning.php

Well, the Queen of Dogma has arrived. You obviously haven't read anything I've written, but oppose it just the same. If you had, you'd know that by simply complying with SID, ODP or diverse gradients after an engine failure a pilot can avoid an "alternate procedure" that is less safe, requires an engineer and costs money.

dtuuri

Well, the Queen of Dogma has arrived. You obviously haven't read anything I've written, but oppose it just the same. If you had, you'd know that by simply complying with SID, ODP or diverse gradients after an engine failure a pilot can avoid an "alternate procedure" that is less safe, requires an engineer and costs money.

dtuuri
They are "less safe" how? Did you read the article in the link I posted? Is that why the airlines use them? As far as costing money, yes they do. The people who design these things don't work for free.

Last edited:
Okay, we're making progress.

BTW, I know it CAN be done...I've done it. The argument is what's safer and/or provides more weight. Remember...more weight means more fuel so the tie to safety is unavoidable.

Doing it yourself you have the AFM with a host of spaghetti charts and an a/fd showing a few obsticles, runway data and current weather. Runway analysis uses all that plus dozens of obsticles, is computer based, and has a dedicated engineer crunching the numbers.that guy isn't distracted by a cramped cockpit, FBO issues, destination weather, customer rental cars, if the FO got coffee and ice, is the fuel bill paid, is the iPad charged, etc...

Its been a winding road to get here...a suggestion that SIDs were turned down due to OEI performance. I said no and the ball started. That original position of mine has been proven correct by your link and now we've migrated to the safety ratio of paid data verses a pilot doing it.

I'm fine with a pilot doing it. Really. It can be done safely. But its below the level provided by dedicated analysis for each departure condition for the above reasons. Disagree if you like, I think my position is pretty solid but YMMV.

Back