Oh what a feeling

the400kid

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FLAAV8R
This past weekend I took my first major IMC trip since passing my check ride. After looking at the cloud tops on DUATS I purposely filed for an altitude which would put me in the soup and keep me there for a greater portion of the journey. About two minutes after departure I entered IMC and it lasted 45 minutes. I flew it manually for most of the ride, switching on the A/P only when I got tired. The approach was in IMC until 2,500 feet and there in front of me, several miles out, was the runway.

All of that training paid off handsomely. I was comfortable and at ease from the moment I entered the overcast until I spotted the runway, at which time I had a grin from ear to ear. Up until that time I wasn't exactly sure how I would react because all of my actual IMC training found my instructor right beside me.

Of course everything went off without a hitch, but it just doesn't get better than this.

I wish I could do that. Seems like any cloud I would enter at the MEA's necessary (typically 13K) there is forecast icing this time of year to go along with them :(.

I'mlooking forward to some spring IFR flying too. Its starting to thaw out here in NY

If your going to file IFR you might as well file an altitude that puts you in the clouds. Builds confidence.

If your going to file IFR you might as well file an altitude that puts you in the clouds. Builds confidence.

No way, 1. It's a bumpy ride, 2. The view sucks
I'll practice with a sim, which allows me add instrument failures if I want

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He is new. Don't be raining on his parade.
Maybe you are so old and grizzled you can't remember your first actual all by yourself.
Oh, wait a minute, I AM old and grizzled.
But I can still remember :goofy:

To the OP, good on ya :D
Now stay out of those ferslugginer clouds except as a last resort - for the reasons mentioned above.
Lumpy bumpy, lousy view, here there be ice, and other bad things such as Cumulus Granitus.

He is new. Don't be raining on his parade.
Maybe you are so old and grizzled you can't remember your first actual all by yourself.
Oh, wait a minute, I AM old and grizzled.
But I can still remember :goofy:

To the OP, good on ya :D
Now stay out of those ferslugginer clouds except as a last resort - for the reasons mentioned above.
Lumpy bumpy, lousy view, here there be ice, and other bad things such as Cumulus Granitus.

It's like frfly172 said, it's a confidence builder and once the novelty wears off I'm sure I'll be filing for the smoother altitudes. But for now I just need to know that I am safe, confident and comfortable. Even if it is a bit bumpy.

Got to have some time in the clouds! All filed flights aren't cloud-free, and if I have no recent cloud time, then I get uncomfortable and take a few minutes to settle back down when I go solid. My last time, I made it halfway through the second leg before hitting clouds, and I was in them for a half hour before descending out. Route was WV to N. GA in the clear, then east into the clouds halfway to SC, out the bottoms over W. NC. Beautiful view of the mountains when they appeared out of the gray!

Flying an IFR/IMC xc is definitely one of the most satisfying and rewarding things you can do following your instrument training. Congrats!

Back