Oh, that is how pilots land gear up!

I've suffered from Mooney envy on occasion, when I've felt "the need for speed" whilst slogging along in my Cardinal RG. But stories like this make me think I made the right decision after all!
Only a few of the Mooney's have the carnivorous gear. Yes, one of them bit me when stowing the gear. Left me bleeding it did.

I've suffered from Mooney envy on occasion, when I've felt "the need for speed" whilst slogging along in my Cardinal RG. But stories like this make me think I made the right decision after all!

Mooneys are both fast and efficient. I wanted the Johnson Bar Mooney because there just wasn't a whole lot to break. You do have to change the doughnuts every so often, but there are no seals to break leaving your gear stuck up. No motors to break similarly. And no motors to inspect every year. And no emergency gear system to worry about either. And like I said, I've learned that swinging that Johnson Bar is an event, and its a big thing in the panel. I've no doubt J-bar Mooneys have landed gear up, I personally know someone who did it (gear was "fixed" wrong) but I'll bet J-bar Mooneys gear up at a much lower rate than other aircraft. Especially since the J-bar is fast, too.

While the Navion is in restoration, my neighbor is letting me fly his M20C. The Johnson Bar gear is taking some getting used to but I'm finally getting the leverage I need on it. He's a lot shorter than me and the mechanics to do this are different for the two of us.

I don't think the 201's (M20J) had Johnson bars. Mooney went all electric in 1974 and the 201 came out in 77.

Mooney went all-electric on flaps and gear in '69. I've never flown one, but some advocate "the Mooney dip" when first learning to swing the Johnson bar. Speed is very important, try to raise the gear at 80 mph, certainly no more than 85 mph. Lowering it at too high airspeed will make the bar move rapidly through the cabin, so be careful with that, too.

Some people wish there was an STC to put a Johnson bar in their J, K or even later models . . . .

P.S.--enjoy the low fuel burn for your speed. It can be addictive! :D

A Friend of mine, while on a business trip and thinking about business, rather than flying. Upon touchdown, reached over and flipped the first switch that his hand touched, intending to retract the flaps. Was the gear switch, and not enough weight to activate the squat switch yet.
That oopsie, came complete with prop strike, and gear up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back