Oh Deer!

FormerHangie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FormerHangie
Unfortunate. Good he’s ok. Bad plane is toasted

Hmm, I know that when things happen, they happen FAST! In my case, the group of deer didn’t start charging out until just after I had touched down—no warning.

Great that this fella had somewhat of a heads up, but it’s hard to know if the two events are mutually exclusive. Glad he’s on the mend nonetheless!

Perhaps coincidental but more likely related. Perhaps something like being leaned out during the approach and forgetting to go rich on go around. But who knows...

I’ve hit one with a Maule wheel: Maule 1, Deer X. Never saw him despite early twilight conditions.

Last encounter was late in rollout. Three went one way, the 4th the other. Told passenger that she’ll be back and darn if she didn’t cross again to join the herd.

We should start naming ours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

No deer for me yet, but I had to go around once for a black lab.

I once hit a bambi with my car.. she just jumped in front of the car when I was cruising at 70.... I was in tears to see the aftermath...

of my car

On a night currency flight, I did a go-around at KOXC to avoid a Coyote. Traffic was light, Tower was in a good mood, and we exchanged all the "Why did the Coyote cross the runway" jokes. None worth repeating.

@Bill Watson, that's how it happens! Deer's herd instinct is very strong. When you see one deer (driving or flying) there are more! -Skip

On a night currency flight, I did a go-around at KOXC to avoid a Coyote. Traffic was light, Tower was in a good mood, and we exchanged all the "Why did the Coyote cross the runway" jokes. None worth repeating.

@Bill Watson, that's how it happens! Deer's herd instinct is very strong. When you see one deer (driving or flying) there are more! -Skip

Three (?) years ago I was landing at KOXC and just as I touched down the tower told me to scram, there was a fox chasing a bird around about halfway down the runway.
Pour on the coal, and go back into he pattern.
The plane behind us was a Gulfstream with a bunch of famous models going to a "shoot" somewhere nearby.
I'm midfield and my passenger keys the radio and asks "Tower, please advise. There are foxes all over the ramp."
There is dead silence for the longest time because the guys in the tower couldn't stop laughing.

Many years ago I was flying at night with landings at Rancho Something, SE of Sacramento. Taxi back to the threshold and a deer crossed the taxiway in front of me headed towards the runway. That was a heart in your throat Max performance short field takeoff. Hoping the deer was not the runway.

Company I used to work for operated from a rural grass stip. It became my standard practice to go down to 20' and then go to full throttle and stick forward to hold it at 20' over the length of the runway anytime I was landing after 5pm. Plane had straight pipes, no mufflers. A full throttle low pass was pretty effective at clearing the deer which were almost always there. After flying out of there as long as I did, I don't think I'd try to land at any rural airport after dark without doing a low pass first.

The deer population in the Baltimore-Washington area is humongus. Vast numbers of 'em wander about, and are oddly attracted to I-95 and our airports.

I've seen multiple deer on most all the Maryland airport runways. . .

My pre-brief is that if all three wheels are on the ground, Bambi dies, whether we are in TO or landing mode. Then we can call the insurance company to come pick up their plane.

Started a take-off run at EHO yesterday. Got to maybe 30MPH and had to stop to wait for a running herd of about 10 or more deer to stream across the runway... wish my GoPro was running!

A couple years ago as I was landing at dusk tower advised there was a coyote laying on the runway. Even at short final I couldn't see her so I did a low pass. Still didn't pick it out laying on the runway so I came back around and landed long. Tower then asked if I wouldn't mind turning around on the runway and shooing her off. That was fun although the coyote didn't look too happy to give her warm spot up.

Back