Oh boy....FAA checkride tommorow....

Legiox

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
RatherBflying
Oh boy....FAA checkride ***UPDATE***

Already having an upset stomach. Nerves are killing me right now. I have studied, studied, and studied some more. But keep thinking im going to forget something, or miss an area he will ask me on. Instructor says i will do fine. AHHHHHHHH get this over with already!!!

Last edited:
Look at it like this: It's not that big a deal - the worst thing that can happen is you fail. If you fail, what is the penalty? You have to FLY MORE! :)

Yeah i know. It's more anticipation than anything. Just ready to get this over with. My bank account will thank me very much. :D

And on the bright side. I turn 29 on Saturday. So getting my pilots license on wed, then celebrating on the 16th for my b/day will be best week ever!

Good luck on that checkride! Just relax and act normal. You have done this plenty of times!

Mine will be coming up before I know it.

Just like the guys said. Relax. DPEs don't bite when well fed. The absolute worst case scenario is you take a small kick to the ego and a bigger one to your wallet.

Actually, the worst case scenario is you're going to be crispy crittered by flaming wreckage, but you aren't going to let that happen, are you?

I think I got about 1 hour of sleep the night before my ride. I just stared at the ceiling the whole night going over questions in my mind; boy did I make the check-ride out to be way more than it was.

Before the flight portion, I talked to the DPE for about an hour and a half about flying and I kept thinking to myself: "When is the exam going to start"..it was that much of a non-event. The whole thing was a great experience. I remember once I got signed off and we filled out IACRA and the DPE left, I just sat at the entrance of the terminal for about 20 minutes just watching planes come and go, feeling like I was on cloud 9, I'll never forget how happy I was.

Good luck, have fun!

The checkride was the easy part for me. I had (IIRC) about a 6hr gruel oral session, while we waited to see if the weather would clear. While we waited, the "discussion" continued.

Looking back on it, I could have asked for the discontinuance earlier, but I thought the weather would improve. It didn't and I called it a day. DPE gave me kudos for the decision.

You'll do fine. Your instructor was alot harder on you then the DPE will be. Be sure to take your time he's just your first passenger. Be sure to fly after your certified (sorry to your bank account) but you'll regret it if you don't keep your skills up.

The problematic thing about any check ride is the anticipation and pressure you put on yourself. I've never done a checkride with a civilian DPE, but I'm sure they approach it as an evaluator, not an executioner. Trust your training and, as impossible as it may sound, relax.

What they all said. Relax, you will make a mistake or two. The important part is don't make it a pattern; acknowledge (mentally) and correct it. It will most likely be easier than your check ride prep.

I planned my cross country into airspace that I was not allowed to go into and still passed my checkride. My point being that the examiner wants you to pass. If you fail, its not the end of the world. Just think how good it will feel when he hands you that ticket.

Yeah i know. It's more anticipation than anything. Just ready to get this over with. My bank account will thank me very much. :D

And on the bright side. I turn 29 on Saturday. So getting my pilots license on wed, then celebrating on the 16th for my b/day will be best week ever!

We'll want to hear all about it when you pass tomorrow! AND what you get for your birthday... an airplane would be good!! :D (Unless you already are an owner and then I guess you'll just have to think of something else just as cool.) Good luck tomorrow!

Relax - they can't take away your birthday.

Worst case is a delay and an expense. If you're getting into flying, you're going to have plenty of both in the future, might as well get used to the idea!

Just imagine Larry the Cable Guy... "Get 'er Done!" :)

(Trying to offer some comedy for you... I got unnecessarily nervous before my IR ride recently, too...)

Just fly the plane. And um... don't forget to pull the nose wheel chock. ;)

(Still kicking myself over that one... hahaha... DPE laughed... I'm sure he's seen it all before...)

Take the rest of the day off - go see a movie or something.

There's nothing you're going to learn in the next 8 hours that is going to make a difference tomorrow. Effectively, everything is done, you really can't do any more. So now relax and enjoy the process. You're there, you're good enough, just go out and fly.

Total flying time for me was just over 1/2 hour. You can fly well for 1/2 hour, can't you?

Just treat it like any other flight, but only this time there will be a guy observing you. Most DPE's are good people who want you to pass.

I just passed mine two months ago. Just remember that it's up to your CFI to decide whether you're ready to be a Private Pilot and the checkride is just a double check of your CFI. My checkride prep was much more difficult then the checkride itself.

The best advice I can give you is to remember that this is your first time as PIC with a passenger (even though it won't feel like it) so act like it. Treat the DPE like a passenger that just happens to be assigning you maneuvers.

He's not there to talk you through them or advise you on proper pattern entry or anything like that. Take charge of the flight and prove that you know what your doing. He just wants to see that you're ready to handle the responsibility of being PIC with passengers.

I'll ditto the notion that you need to shift gears now; go do something to take your mind off it. Go see a movie, or take a walk, or call some old friends or family you haven't talked to in a while. Get drunk if so inclined, and hit the sack early.Whatever it takes. You need to de-frag your wetware if you're already feeling over-prepared yet still nervous.

Brain farts WILL happen. Just continue to be PIC when they do :)

Sometimes we are our worst enemy. Don't worry about failing to the point of making yourself fail!

Good luck and ..... Relax.

Edit: oh, and don't bust any airspace:lol:

Already having an upset stomach. Nerves are killing me right now. I have studied, studied, and studied some more. But keep thinking im going to forget something, or miss an area he will ask me on. Instructor says i will do fine. AHHHHHHHH get this over with already!!!

Relax..... The lack of sleep tonight while you worry is your biggest enemy....

Ps.. You can pass the check ride tomorrow... We are all sure of it..:yesnod:

Everyone here is way off base. Right now is the time to panic.

Captain Levy’s Checkride Advice

1. Relax and enjoy it. Nationwide, about 90% of applicants pass on the first try, so look around and see if you think you’re as good as 9 out of 10 other students. Also, your instructor must maintain a pass rate of at least 80% to get his ticket renewed, so he’s not going to send you up unless he’s pretty darn sure you’ll pass – otherwise, he has to find four other people to pass to make up for you, and that’s not always easy.

2. Go over with your instructor the logbooks of the aircraft you're going to use the day BEFORE the checkride to make sure it's all in order (annual, transponder checks, ELT ops and battery, 100-hour if rented, etc.). If the airplane's paper busts, so do you. Run a sample W&B, too – get the examiner’s weight when you make the appointment. If you weigh 200, and so does the examiner, don’t show up with a C-152 with full tanks and a 350 lb available cabin load – examiners can’t waive max gross weight limits.

3. Relax.

4. Rest up and get a good night's sleep the night before. Don't stay up "cramming."

5. Relax.

6. Read carefully the ENTIRE PTS including all the introductory material. Use the checklist in the front to make sure you take all the stuff you need -- papers and equipment. And the examiner’s fee UP FRONT (too much chance a disgruntled applicant will refuse to pay afterward) in the form demanded by the examiner is a “required document” from a practical, if not FAA, standpoint.

7. Relax.

8. You’re going to make a big mistake somewhere. The examiner knows this will happen, and it doesn’t have to end the ride. What’s important is not whether you make a mistake, but how you deal with it – whether you recover and move on without letting it destroy your flying. Figure out where you are now, how to get to where you want to be, and then do what it takes to get there. That will save your checkride today and your butt later on.

9. Relax.

10. You're going to make some minor mistakes. Correct them yourself in a timely manner "so the outcome of the maneuver is never seriously in doubt" and you'll be OK. If you start to go high on your first steep turn and start a correction as you approach 100 feet high but top out at 110 high while making a smooth correction back to the requested altitude, don't sweat -- nail the next one and you'll pass with "flying colors" (a naval term, actually). If you see the maneuver will exceed parameters and not be smoothly recoverable, tell the examiner and knock it off before you go outside those parameters, and then re-initiate. That shows great sense, if not great skill, and judgement is the most critical item on the checkride.

11. Relax.

12. During the oral, you don’t have to answer from memory anything you’d have time to look up in reality. You never need to memorize and know everything. Categorize material as:

a. Things you must memorize (i.e. emergency procedures, radio calls, airspace, etc).
b. Things you must know or have reasonable understanding of (i.e. interpreting weather codes, non-critical regs).
c. Things you must know about but can look up and will have time to look up on the ground.

(Thanks to Mark Bourdeaux for this categorization.) So if the examiner asks you about currency, it’s OK to open the FAR book to 61.56 and 61.57 and explain them to him. But make sure you know where the answer is without reading the whole FAR/AIM cover-to-cover. On the other hand, for stuff you’d have to know RIGHT NOW (e.g., best glide speed for engine failure, etc.), you’d best not stumble or stutter – know that stuff cold. Also, remember that the examiner will use the areas your knowledge test report says you missed as focus points in the oral, so study them extra thoroughly.

13. Relax.

14. Avoid this conversation:
Examiner - Q: Do you have a pencil?

Applicant - A: I have a #2, a mechanical, a red one...
Applicant - A: I also have an assortment of pens, and some highlighters...
Applicant - A: Yes.
Examiner - Thank you.
One of the hardest things to do when you’re nervous and pumped up is to shut up and answer the question. I've watched people talk themselves into a corner by incorrectly answering a question that was never asked, or by adding an incorrect appendix to the correct answer to the question that was. If the examiner wants more, he'll tell you.

15. Relax

16. Some questions are meant simply to test your knowledge, not your skill, even if they sound otherwise. If the examiner asks how far below the cloud deck you are, he is checking to see if you know the answer is “at least 500 feet,” not how good your depth perception is. He can’t tell any better than you can, and the only way to be sure is to climb up and see when you hit the bases, which for sure he won’t let you do.

17. Relax

18. It’s a test of your flying skill, not your knowledge of PTS minutiae. Make sure you know which maneuver the examiner wants done, and confirm the details if necessary – before you start the maneuver. Does s/he want stalls taken all the way to the break or just to the buffet or “first sign of impending stall”? Is that “spot landing” s/he asked for the “power-off 180-degree accuracy approach and landing” no more than 200 feet beyond the spot or the “short-field approach and landing” which allows use of power but no more than 100 feet beyond the spot?

19. Relax

20. Remember the first rule of Italian driving: "What's behind me is not important." Don't worry about how you did the last maneuver or question. If you didn't do it well enough, the examiner must notify you and terminate the checkride. If you are on the next one, forget the last one because it was good enough to pass. Focus on doing that next maneuver or answering the next question the best you can, because while it can still determine whether you pass or fail, the last one can’t anymore. If you get back to the office and he hasn't said you failed, smile to your friends as you walk in because you just passed.

21. Relax and enjoy your new license.

Ron Levy, ATP, CFI, Veteran of 11 license/rating checkrides, including 4 with FAA inspectors

Well, look at the bright side, at least you've scheduled your check ride. I can't even seem to do that. Been trying for the last three days. I'm convinced that scheduling the check ride is, itself, part of the check ride...meant to test my conviction.

Enjoy the flight today and just fly the plane like you would on any other lesson. Honestly that's how my check ride felt, except you need to know how to do all the maneuvers without being guided trough them by your CFI. I was imagining a much tougher challenge then my ride. You've already done the work, now someone designated to evaluate your work needs to verify you know what you are doing.

Passing the check ride is definitely one of the best feelings I've ever had and a true accomplishment! Go join the .2 percent of people with a pilots license with pride!

If you weren't a little nervous, you wouldn't be human. Good luck to you (today, at this point).

It took two weeks for me to get my checkride in from the time I was signed off, to the day I got my license. I hit a streak of awful weather, and had to cancel six times before finally getting in an airplane. Enduring two weeks of being nervous and anxious sucked!

Last edited:
You can either be like eminem at the begining of 8 mile, or eminem at the end of 8 mile. Man up and good luck today! Post an update.

Today is tomorrow. Where is that picture of you with a huge grin on your face? How did it go? Who will be your first passenger?

Oh yeah!!! I passed today!!!! Man i was nervous, but the examiner made me feel comfortable. Taking my dad up next week for a belated fathers day flight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah!!! I passed today!!!! Man i was nervous, but the examiner made me feel comfortable. Taking my dad up next week for a belated fathers day flight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations! Now that you've got your license to learn, go have some fun. And have fun next week with your dad.

Back