Office in T-Hangar

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
Anyone ever built a free-standing office or room in a T-Hangar? Our city rules basically say nothing attached to the hangar, so I'm thinking it's acceptable. I would ask forgiveness instead of permission though!

I'm thinking of building a small room or even buying a shed from Craigslist and modifying it. A friend of mine had a small room where he had a window unit AC and it made a nice place to hang out. Not wanting to spend much money, just wondering if anyone here has attempted such a thing!

Anyone ever built a free-standing office or room in a T-Hangar? Our city rules basically say nothing attached to the hangar, so I'm thinking it's acceptable. I would ask forgiveness instead of permission though!

I'm thinking of building a small room or even buying a shed from Craigslist and modifying it. A friend of mine had a small room where he had a window unit AC and it made a nice place to hang out. Not wanting to spend much money, just wondering if anyone here has attempted such a thing!

I have seen it done.....

Don't ask.... Don't tell...:no::no::rolleyes:

if you've got space, go for it. you could also "Store" a camper if it fits. That's easier than building and probably pre-plumbed.

I've seen it done as well. In fact, I was in one guy's hangar at KAPA that had a kitchen, an office, a bathroom and a sleeper area. There are lots of other ones that appear to have offices in them.

I don't know why you couldn't just construct a couple of "non-attached" partition walls in a corner and call it a day. That would be easy and would give you more space than an inside building.

Just thinking of something that I could cool. I could do that, but I see some sheds for less that $500 on Craigslist. I figured even taking that apart and reusing the material might be cheaper than building from scratch.

I don't know why you couldn't just construct a couple of "non-attached" partition walls in a corner and call it a day. That would be easy and would give you more space than an inside building.

Just thinking of something that I could cool. I could do that, but I see some sheds for less that $500 on Craigslist. I figured even taking that apart and reusing the material might be cheaper than building from scratch.

Geez...

A 2X4 bottom and top plate, a dozen or so precut studs, some 5/8 sheet rock or 1/2 CDX and you are golden.... You might have 250-300 in materials...

I keep my pop-up camper in mine, beds slide out over the wing.. Full kitchen bath and a/c.

I keep my pop-up camper in mine, beds slide out over the wing.. Full kitchen bath and a/c.

Do you have a picture of this? I'd love to see it, I did not think there would be enough room in a T hangar for a pop up camper and an airplane.

Two of the owners of my home base have done just that. One built an office into one of the corners. Complete studded walls and ceilings. The other has a camper just outside the hangar with office inside.

Granted, they're part owners, but the atmosphere of the facility is that you can do w/e you want. I have strung lights, refrigerator, bug zappers, etc. All depends on mgt.

Do you have a picture of this? I'd love to see it, I did not think there would be enough room in a T hangar for a pop up camper and an airplane.

I just pulled it out yesterday for a trip this weekend so I can't get a good pic, however it's in this one, just behind the plane. It's a huge pop up too.. About as big as they get. There's about 2' on each side of the horizontal.
e60989d57ff86132e1341bfa4160deb5.jpg

I'll get a better one on Monday when I put it back

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I built one in the corner of my corner hangar a while back. There was language in the lease that I can't put any permanent structures in. I just made it free standing, and put a simple swing door on it with a lock. I called it a 'storage locker'. Basically a 14x10x8' box with some thin ply on the outside. When I moved out, I took my car hauler trailer down there and loaded it up with two buddies and it went to my house for storage shed.

Need to be real careful with what the hangar lease has to say. Here, hangars are for airplanes, not for storage of extra cars, campus, RVs, household goods, etc.. They even got fussy about a couch or table and chairs for "mission planning", computer for mission planning and weather briefing, maintaining aircraft records. No fridge for inflight refreshments. No couch for pilot naps.

We argued and they relented a little. It's 110F here today, working on the aircraft requires cold water available for safety.

Ours does say no cars unless you are putting your car in your hangar while you go fly. I don't think that would apply to a travel trailer, but not sure. I thought about buying a classic small trailer and putting it across the back of the hangar. I have a Cessna 140, so I would have plenty of room and a classic trailer would fit right in. I think a small office would be okay though.

No way I'd give up the fridge or chairs, etc!
11780000_10206170243727578_2999377261167669846_o.jpg

Need to be real careful with what the hangar lease has to say. Here, hangars are for airplanes, not for storage of extra cars, campus, RVs, household goods, etc.. They even got fussy about a couch or table and chairs for "mission planning", computer for mission planning and weather briefing, maintaining aircraft records. No fridge for inflight refreshments. No couch for pilot naps.

We argued and they relented a little. It's 110F here today, working on the aircraft requires cold water available for safety.

Jesse built a slick little free-standing room in his hangar. Maybe he'll see this, post a picture.

Every big hangar I saw in Georgia had a shack in it. The mechanic who did my pre buy air-conditioned his. Damn smart move.

In hangars I've rented, I've made a "cool room" out of 1x2s and heavy plastic. Stick an air conditioner (or heater) through the side, and go. The whole thing cost less than $100, and was suspended from the ceiling beams with ropes.

In our current hangar that we own, we have a real lounge, bathroom, etc. It's as nice as our home, and we have plans to expand it.

In our current hangar that we own, we have a real lounge, bathroom, etc. It's as nice as our home, and we have plans to expand it.

In ours we have a lounge, bathrooms, running hot and cold water, kitchen, outdoor kitchen, office, bedroom, and wine cellar...because it is our home.

If it's a federally obligated airport -- I wouldn't.

If these guys can have a brewery, I think you should be able to have an office. The original Aviator Brewery at 5W5 in Fuquay-Varina, NC.

attachment.php

Attachments

• aviator_hangar.jpg
    aviator_hangar.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 216
I miss the "T" part. I see them more in box hangars but if you can fit it in there, cool. An office is neither aviation nor non-aviation related. It is no different than a work bench aviation work, just for a different kind of aviation work - like flight planning.

It's aviation-related enough.

If these guys can have a brewery, I think you should be able to have an office. The original Aviator Brewery at 5W5 in Fuquay-Varina, NC.

attachment.php

woah, so, can u fly in and sample? I mean, if u had a DPIC?

5W5 is privately owned so they can put anything...POA visit?

attachment.php

In ours we have a lounge, bathrooms, running hot and cold water, kitchen, outdoor kitchen, office, bedroom, and wine cellar...because it is our home.

This post is worthless without pics! This would be my true dream home!!!

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll try to make this simple. This is a hot button for the FAA right now and they are performing spot audits. If you are at an airport that receives FAA funding for projects, don't be surprised if they (or their representative if you are in a block grant state) show up. They have been asking questions about hangars and what rules & regs you have regarding them. This is all within their rights through grant assurances. Don't shoot the messenger...just telling you what's happening out in the world right now.

And I think that most of us know this and I think that most of us agree that if someone is taking up hangar space for the storage of cars, boats, campers, etc. but do not have anything aviation related inside then they need to be tossed. However, if one has a hangar that only has room for one airplane and there is an airplane in there that is either actively being flown or actively being built / restored then any thing else that is in there is not causing any real harm in regards to what I feel the intent of the regs are. Now please don't ask me to define "actively" as it can be very subjective. The point is that the airplane should be taking up a predominant amount of the floor space and should be the main focus of activity in that hangar. Workbenches, tables, chairs, office space of any sort, refrigerators, etc. can all be deemed to be in support of the aviation activity.

Oddly enough, we got some unwanted attention about having an "Office" in the hangar. (we rent 1/2 of it)

There is now a sign that says "Nxyz1 Flight Briefing Area"

"We ain't got no offices in here, sir" ;)

My hangar agreement says:
I can't store cars, but can put mine in the hangar when I'm flying.
I can store my aircraft, with accessories or other personal property necessary or ancillary for the operation of the aircraft and Lessee's use of the hangar.
I shall not make any additions or modifications to the hangar unless approved by prior written consent from the city.

It wouldn't be a modification because it would be attached. The catch would be where they say anything necessary to the operation of the aircraft.

I'll try to make this simple. This is a hot button for the FAA right now and they are performing spot audits. If you are at an airport that receives FAA funding for projects, don't be surprised if they (or their representative if you are in a block grant state) show up. They have been asking questions about hangars and what rules & regs you have regarding them. This is all within their rights through grant assurances. Don't shoot the messenger...just telling you what's happening out in the world right now.

I agree that the FAA needs to fix the problem of hangars being used as cheap boat barns. The airport in Port Aransas has just 19 hangars, the majority of which are full of boats. Unfortunately, the corrective action available to the airport is so onerous that no one is willing to do anything about it.

(Which is why, after 5 years of waiting, we finally gave up and bought a hangar at TFP, nine nautical miles away.)

Conversely, the FAA does NOT need to meddle in people's business WRT what is in hangars that actually have airplanes in them. If someone wants to build an office behind their airplane, in a hangar that they own (obviously rented hangars are different) why in the world would anyone care?

As usual, however, bureaucrats being what they are, the FAA seems to be unable to distinguish the line between these two paradigms. One is wrong, and unacceptable, while the other is right, and fine, yet both are being targeted.

Last edited:
I am just hoping my T Hangar will stay warm this winter with a forced air heater.. I def have the room in the back for some type of building/room though !

Back