Offer on Hanger Queen Airplane

I've seen barn airplanes. Not pretty outside or inside. Barns are for animals, including mice and birds and flies and who know what, and those beasts make a corroded mess inside any airplane. Guy I know got a Tri-Pacer that had been sitting; one mag had been removed for some reason, and mice had built nests inside the engine. What a mess. I bet the mag had failed, the guy took it off to get fixed and never got around to putting things back together again.

Currently working on a 39-year-old 180 with less than 1100 hours on it. On floats. Always hangared. Should be perfect, right? Fuel and oil hoses as hard as wood. Stainless aileron and elevator cables worn right out because the hangar was an open affair that let the wind through, and even with the control lock in the wind wiggles the surfaces and keeps those cables rubbing on fairleads and rub strips. 39 years of that eats stainless cables. Wheels and brakes are still brand-new, 14 hours ferry time on them, but the seals in the brake masters and calipers will be hard as rocks.

Airplanes rot whether they fly or not.

Dan

Yeah, and some people will patch the plane you talk about up with spit and bubble gum and slap a $3000.00 paint job on it was what I was referring to.

Had a guy try to sell me an RV-8 last year that was rolled down the field by a tornado. I assume he bought it from the insurance company. He patched it up, put a really fancy paint job on it, slapped $80,000.00 on it, and it flew like it was going to shake apart imo.

I like RV-8's, but not that one. :nonod:

And your point is? There a plenty of things in the vernacular that are incorrect. When was the last time you saw a real assault rifle, as opposed to what the media keeps calling one? They are just as wrong. Repetition of a mistake doesn't make it right. Maybe that's just the engineer in me. Tarmac is NOT a location on an airport, regardless of how many times some idiot newsie thinks it is.

I was thought the Tarmac was the asphalt. Our runway is concrete.

And your point is? There a plenty of things in the vernacular that are incorrect. When was the last time you saw a real assault rifle, as opposed to what the media keeps calling one? They are just as wrong. Repetition of a mistake doesn't make it right. Maybe that's just the engineer in me. Tarmac is NOT a location on an airport, regardless of how many times some idiot newsie thinks it is.

However 'The Tarmac' has been used colloquially for decades within the aviation community and industry to mean "out on the paved part of the airport" that you can't really fault the media personnel for using the term as well.

Unfortunately this scenario is all too common. Half the aircraft at our airport buy less than $500 of fuel per year. That's less than 20 hours of flight time. Several of our tenants bought NO FUEL last year. That's the sad state of affairs at many places. The big fear about a hangar queen is an irretrievably internally corroded engine.

That just means they don't buy fuel from YOUR airport. I know quite a few who fuel elsewhere on their way in/out...

In engineering and technical language, maybe not. But in standard English, repetition of a "mistake" is how language forms. Dictionaries don't prescribe correct language; they describe language in use.

There is no deeper reason that "dog" means dog. Repetition of that use over thousands of years made it standard. If lots of people (especially media and pilots) use Tarmac to mean apron or runway or whatever, then that's what it means. And that's why it's beginning to appear in dictionaries that way.

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2011/12/tarmac.html

If you're not game I'll through the guy an offer, PM me his details.

We're doing the prebuy/annual on it. It sold for a really reasonable price, too. For the buyer, that is, though he'll be spending money on fixing the shortcomings before it's done.

Dan

Back