Off to Bahamas

bahama flier

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
bahama flier
Since I started flying 11 years ago, I have now flown to the Bahamas 0ver 80 times.

I leave in central Fl, so Bahamas are closer than the Fl Keys. I have leased a small home on a couple of Islands at different times, and that's why I get over as often as I do.

I haven't been over for three months, been fighting a cancer, but I need a rest and got to get away from doctors, tests and treatments, and before major surgery next month.

As soon as my ass is well enough to sit after surgery, I will go back to heal and relax. Can't get far enough from those needle sticking blood suckers.

But I can be fixed..its just time and at my age I don't want to loose anymore time.

You have an excellent attitude towards your very trying situation.

Enjoy the trip and I hope you get well soon. What are you flying?

I have been flying a Cherokee Six for ten years, just love it, had a 180 Cessna before that.

My Six is a 260, less expensive to annual , still its 15 GPH, takes 75 gallons to go and come from Bahamas.

Best wishes, hope to see you there one day

Good health to you,love the Bahamas,been there a few times. Hope you the best.

Hope you get back there soon!

I just got back from my 2nd trip in little more than a year and planning more soon. The first time was with my wife and we were both hooked. This time my wife was touring Europe with her Mom on a 5 year cancer survivor celebration - 5 cities for 5 years - so I went with an old fishing buddy to chase Bones. So many cays, so many strips, so many fish, and so few people. Personal aircraft are the way to go in the Bahamas.

I noticed that Cherokee Sixes seem to be the most popular aircraft out there I'm guessing because of load carrying ability.

I fly an RV10 and find the IO-540 LOP gas mileage very handy in the land of so many strips without 100LL.

Bill "S. Andros, Cat, Long, Staniel, Eleuthra" Watson

Enjoy the bahamas! Post some pictures when you return. I only made it to Bimini and it was a cool experience, but nothing like the outer islands (from what I hear).

Sorry to hear about your cancer. Prayer sent.
Hope you enjoy your trip. The Bahamas are great.

We've been considering taking out Lance to the Bahamas after we talked to another couple at our airport who did it in their Bonanza. I still am not sure. Everything the pilot told me sounded awesome...until he started talking about all the fees they hit him with at the airport.

Fight the good fight, Blue skies and tail winds to you always!

The Cherokee Six is the most popular aircraft in the Bahamas, yes because it is the only aircraft made that will carry a lot of weight equal to its own weight

When I tie down, there are usually 6 out of 8 aircraft that are Sixes on the tarmac, other than heavy haulers.

The designer of the original Six spoke at Sun n Fun years ago, said the old Hersey bar wing was the strongest wing ever made by Piper, and if it had been up to him, that would still be the wing today.

It ain't pretty, but its tuff..

Enjoy your trip, come back refreshed then beat the crap out of the illness on your return

prayers heading your way

Thanks for sharing, I love hearing about trips to the Bahamas. Once my family and I have some time under our belts we want to start flying between Orlando and the Bahamas fairly often. Do you have any advice or tips for getting prepared for this sort of flight?

When you create your flight plan can you send it to us so we can track your progress? We would like to see it!

What islands do you prefer in the Bahamas? Considering a honeymoon there next year...

What islands do you prefer in the Bahamas? Considering a honeymoon there next year...

IMO you won't go wrong on any of the islands other than Nassau or Freeport, but my choices for most pilots would be the Exuma Chain if you love boating. Otherwise Eleuthera or Long Island are great.

Me personally, I just loveeee the FAR out islands (Mayaguana, Crooked, Great Inagua) where there are some hard to reach, yet prestine beaches that might see 1 person per year!

As for nightlife here though..............well......there's the moon and the stars.

For years we visited the Abaco's by boat. When I got my ticket and started to fly, my first long lease was on the North Eleuthera part of the Island.

I always wanted to go on down the chain but could not work in it. The last two years I have been leasing in Great Harbor, part of the Berry Island chain.

Great Harbor Cay is only 2 hr15 min from my home and takes less fuel than Eleuthera.

Its quick and reasonable for me, but you will not catch me in Nassau or Freeport, crime rate is too high, if Americans are victims, criminals are not punished. US often post warnings about the crime rate in the Bahamas, the out island are generally OK, not the two major tourist traps.

Heading out now,,,, see ya..

Safe travels, and enjoy your getaway. I hope for a quick recovery for you.

Back