Of all the reasons to cancel a flight...

Ghery

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Ghery Pettit
My wife and I need to go over to Pullman this weekend to work on her sorority house. The weather is absolutely gorgeous VMC and is predicted to remain so over the weekend. I've got the C-172N reserved starting at 6 PM and all is set. Routes planned, someone to pick us up at the FBO, everything. All was great until I pulled a briefing off of DUATS. Waded through all the NOTAMs and what do I see? The runway at PUW is closed all weekend. Called the FBO. A contractor is re-striping the runway and they doubt he'll be finished by 5 PM on Sunday.

Grumble, grumble, grumble. Back to plan B. Drive. Grumble, grumble, grumble. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Is the airport allowing any alternatives - like landing on the taxiway - if there is one

Ghery said:
My wife and I need to go over to Pullman this weekend to work on her sorority house. The weather is absolutely gorgeous VMC and is predicted to remain so over the weekend. I've got the C-172N reserved starting at 6 PM and all is set. Routes planned, someone to pick us up at the FBO, everything. All was great until I pulled a briefing off of DUATS. Waded through all the NOTAMs and what do I see? The runway at PUW is closed all weekend. Called the FBO. A contractor is re-striping the runway and they doubt he'll be finished by 5 PM on Sunday.

Grumble, grumble, grumble. Back to plan B. Drive. Grumble, grumble, grumble. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Are S94 or LWS viable alternatives?

I didn't know where this was, so I plugged it into RTFP with airway routing from my home drome, N71. Try it, you'll get a kick out of the routing it comes up with.

Aztec Driver said:
Are S94 or LWS viable alternatives?

I thought about them, but they would have been inconvenient for our ride. Drat. Anyway, six hour drive and we're in Pullman. Mom and Dad are out of town, but we have a key to their condo.

Graueradler said:
Is the airport allowing any alternatives - like landing on the taxiway - if there is one

The folks at the FBO didn't suggest that. Probably not. The taxiways would certainly work for a 172, though. I'll bet Horizon Airlines wasn't happy, either.

Ghery said:

I feel your pain.

Just before Thanksgiving last year our airport decided to repave the runway and taxiways. The job was supposed to be over the Wednesday before the holiday. It wasn't. They finished the Monday after the holiday.

Then they decided to widen the runway this year. So the week before the 4th of July they closed the airport to widen the runway, the expectation was to finish on the 27th. They didn't and we lost another weekend.

This Friday they closed again to restripe. And at the end of the month it will be close as we host Blue Oyster Cult for a concert

Those durned Cessna Pilots must have rubbed all the old stripes right off the runway!

:rofl:

You know you *could* land on the taxiway if it were not dangerous to do so. But I doubt it would be clear.

Still, for an airport such as this one, mightn't it have been less disruptive to restripe on a weekday, or in three or four successive nights?

Just thinking here (silly me).

BTW, looked at Airnav entry, saw this:

"NUMEROUS OBJECTS PENETRATE IMAGINARY SFCS JUST NORTH AND SOUTH OF RWY."

What in the hail does that mean?:dunno:

SCCutler said:
You know you *could* land on the taxiway if it were not dangerous to do so. But I doubt it would be clear.

Still, for an airport such as this one, mightn't it have been less disruptive to restripe on a weekday, or in three or four successive nights?

Just thinking here (silly me).

BTW, looked at Airnav entry, saw this:

"NUMEROUS OBJECTS PENETRATE IMAGINARY SFCS JUST NORTH AND SOUTH OF RWY."

What in the hail does that mean?:dunno:

All I would have needed a taxiway for would be takeoff tomorrow. The runway was open until midnight last night so we would have had it to land on. However, the taxiway is probably too close to parking and other things to allow its use for takeoff tomorrow afternoon.

Weekdays are as bad as weekends as Horizon Airlines flies into PUW. So, business travelers (such as they are in Pullman) would be more inconvienced on weekdays.

As far as objects pentrating the imaginary surface, those are hills. The Palouse Hills. Richest wheat land in the world. Walked out of Wal-Mart in Moscow this evening and the smell was unmistakeable. I love it over here. However, work is elsewhere. Drive back to the we(s)t side of the state tomorrow.

Back