odyssey battery odyssey

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
Just in case you wanted to know the punch line to "how many FAA people does it take to change a battery"...

Earlier this year, I suspect a mis-adjusted voltage regulator deep discharged my battery and reduced its capacity. It continued to work ok, but I figured I should replace it before the weather got too cold. While I'm in there, I also figured that I should replace my Concorde with an Odyssey SBS J16 and save some weight.

The Odyssey is STC'd for the Cessna 170 and 180, but not the 140, so I downloaded a sample 337 off the type club and sent it to the shop in July.

The shop wrote up the 337 and sent it off to OKC, who returned it after only a couple of months, saying that it should instead have been sent to the local FSDO. After a couple more weeks of phone tag, the FSDO guy says he wants an 8130 for the battery.

So, I call Spruce this morning. It's my lucky day. Not only do they have one in stock, they can provide an 8130 for only $50, and the DAR works on Wednesdays, so he'll be able to bless my battery tonight and they'll be able to ship it out tomorrow.

Or so I thought, since they couldn't actually find the one battery they had in stock, so I'll have to wait until they get more. What's another couple of weeks?

Oh no! Im going to give earthx a minute to get their stcs approved then check that out...

Thank God that the FAA is protecting us from battery installations with inadequate paperwork. I mean, come on man, just because the battery works just fie in a 170,172,180.182,177,185... doesn't mean that it will be adequate to crank over the mighty C-85 in the 140.

Can someone explain why the 8130 is specific to the battery's serial number? Is there a more generic document that applies to all batteries of the same type? If I replace the battery, do I need another 8130?

Can someone explain why the 8130 is specific to the battery's serial number?
It's an airworthiness approval tag specific to the part at hand. It's the only stand-alone option if you want want to document the "legality" of a part that is not marked per Part 21 or 45 or is used. But it is not a required document in all cases. In this case it's probably due to the field approving ASI. Just out of curiosity, who recommended you needed a field approval? And are you simply replacing an existing lead acid with a different lead acid with no other alterations?

Both are lead acid, but the Odyssey is physically smaller, so you need to add a bracket to the battery box to hold it in place. My understanding is that the lack of an STC for my aircraft type implies the need for a field approval; at least that's the way that others on the type club have done it.

My understanding is that the lack of an STC for my aircraft type implies the need for a field approval
Technically, the deciding factor is whether the battery replacement is considered a major or minor alteration per Part 43. Then, if considered a major by the installer the use of approved data is required, i.e., the STC or field approval. As a side note, for Odyssey to sell/advertise it for install on a TC'd aircraft they need an STC or PMA, or TSO to be legal per Part 21. But there's guidance that permits certain battery swaps as a minor alteration also.

Battery arrived, 8130 delivered to the FSDO. 337 real soon now...

In an old airplane, the Equipment list often only lists the battery as 12v 25 amp hour, no manufacturer, certifications, or requirements. Seems like any battery is fine to replace it in that case. The original battery probably did not have a TSO certification anyway, just like the Kx-170 radios or the GE-4309 bulbs, or the pull style delco tractor starter originally installed in my plane.
As long as you get the W&B updated after an oddysey battery swap.

AC43.13-2b chapter 10. Your IA didn't need to contact the FAA about an Odyssey installation and you didn't need to spend any money on the PMA'd version.

AC43.13-2b chapter 10. Your IA didn't need to contact the FAA about an Odyssey installation and you didn't need to spend any money on the PMA'd version.
It worked for me. Saved 6 pounds and $40 over the PMA version.

Maybe so, but then the next IA who looks at it will wonder "why come you got no 337?" and it begins again :/

Not if the IA can read. If the installation is deemed a major alteration there would be a 337,and there's nothing wrong with going that route, but still, the FAA doesn't need to be involved. The opening paragraph of 43.13-2B spells it out.

Oh no! Im going to give earthx a minute to get their stcs approved then check that out...

My buddy's RV-8 is in my hangar awaiting an Earth X replacement. He got a warning indication last flight and called asking them. Was supposed to be early onset alert, but it failed on very next flight completely. He has P-Mags, which if RPM gets < 1200 will also go TU without the battery help (just in case you're thinking of that combo and your EXP type). I think it is between year 3 and 4 in age.

My original ETX-900 flashed a code very early in it's life. EarthX replaced the battery via Fedex without hesitation even though the battery still worked, and still works today. It just isn't doing it in my airplane!

Pmags require a very small amount of current to work. Even a "dead" battery usually has plenty of juice for the mags.

PS- I have that combo in my exp. ;)

Seems like any battery is fine to replace it in that case. The original battery probably did not have a TSO certification anyway, just like the Kx-170 radios or the GE-4309 bulbs, or the pull style delco tractor starter originally installed in my plane.
FYI: all parts installed on an aircraft per the type design are considered "approved" at original production regardless of part type. Once the aircraft leaves the factory, how those original parts are changed fall under different rules depending whether the "replacement part" route is used (Part 21) or the part change is via an alteration (Part 43). In this case, since the new battery isn't OEM or have a PMA for the 140 it doesn't fit the definition of a replacement part and needs to be installed as an alteration. Now whether it is a minor or major alteration falls to the battery installer. AC 23-27, along with some other guidance, also provides additional options in certain instances when changing original type design parts.

The last 172 I bought had a Wal-Mart Lawn mower battery in it. It worked great for years.
I giggled when it finally went bad and I saw what was in there. LOL!

Odyssey makes a great battery. Been using them for years. I replace mine every three years as my experimental aircraft is electrically dependent. One of my old Odyssey batteries from several years ago is still cranking the Z-Turn mower ...

I have an Odyssey battery in my plane, no problems... though the first one I had was defective, but I was able to return it for full credit.

337 approved!

Lost a couple of weeks due to a coronavirus exposure at the shop. Apparently someone along the way had bodged in an RG25-sized firewall-mount battery box, so lost another week to source an original battery box (another plug for Smokin Rivet). It's finally installed.

Back