Odd things found in a POH

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
Okay, so I was looking some things up while browsing through my 152 POH and found this:

"Note: Never use gasoline, benzine, alcohol, acetone, fire extinguisher, or anti ice fluide, lacquer thinner or glass cleaner to clean the plastic (on the windshield). These materials will attack the plastic and may cause it to craze."

Because you KNOW there was a guy out there cussing at the bugs on his windshield and thought "ah hah! I know how to get them off....Blow them suckers with the fire extinguisher!" WHOOOSH!!!
....later that day Billy bob the pilot tells his friends it was solid IFR until the last few seconds but dangit, he could see out the side windows fine! You just know someone got a letter about it.

And acetone? Boy eventualy I'd think that would take off more than bugs, although for some reason it sounds like girls have been painting thier windows instead of fingers? I know bugs are hard to get off and they get under your nails...but ladies... please. LOL!

Kinda made me laugh and think back to my days at Toyota when I had to give speaches to new car owners why you shouldnt use scotch pads to clean bumpers, yes folks, people do that! A good mental picture of scraping metal pads across black bumpers usualy did the trick.

My little chuckle for the day

Some people will do anything to de-ice/defrost a windscreen. What's scary is those same people probably didn't give a thought to the stuff on the wings.

Some people will do anything to de-ice/defrost a windscreen. What's scary is those same people probably didn't give a thought to the stuff on the wings.

I keep 30 grit sand paper in my flight bag to deice the wings. Works good---not my airplane to repaint.

LOL I think I'm gonna get you a spray bottle of that alcohol stuff for the wings.

almost sounds like some of those signs;

"Caution: The contents of this bottle should not be fed to fish." -- On a bottle of shampoo for dogs.

"Recycled flush water unsafe for drinking." -- On a toilet at a public sports facility in Ann Arbor, Michigan

"Shin pads cannot protect any part of the body they do not cover." -- On a pair of shin guards made for bicyclists.

"Do not eat toner." -- On a toner cartridge for a laser printer.

"Eating rocks may lead to broken teeth." -- On a novelty rock garden set called "Popcorn Rock."

"Do not use orally." -- On a toilet bowl cleaning brush.

"Please keep out of children." -- On a butcher knife

"Do not recharge, put in backwards, or use." -- On a battery.

"For use on animals only." -- On an electric cattle prod.

"For use by trained personnel only." -- On a can of air freshener.

"Remember, objects in the mirror are actually behind you." -- On a motorcycle helmet-mounted rear-view mirror.

"Warning: Do not climb inside this bag and zip it up. Doing so will cause injury and death." -- A label inside a protective bag (for fragile objects), which measures 15cm by 15cm by 12cm.

"Not for weight control." -- On a pack of Breath Savers.

"Warning: has been found to cause cancer in laboratory mice." -- On a box of rat poison.

"Fragile. Do not drop." -- Posted on a Boeing 757.

"Warning: do not use if you have prostate problems." -- On a box of Midol PMS relief tablets.

"Not for human consumption." -- On a package of dice.

"May be harmful if swallowed." -- On a shipment of hammers.

"Do not dangle the mouse by its cable or throw the mouse at co-workers." -- From a manual for an SGI computer.

"Warning: Misuse may cause injury or death." -- Stamped on the metal barrel of a .22 calibre rifle.

"Do not put lit candles on phone." -- On the instructions for a cordless phone.

HAH! Thats awesome! I think these should be on the blue collar comedy.

My favorite

"Do not use while in shower", on a hairdryer.

"This drug may cause drowsiness", on a bottle of sleeping pills.

"Do not drive or operate machinery, while taking this drug", on a bottle of childrens cough syrup.

My favorite:

Braille numbers on a drive-up ATM keypad. Note that the screen isn't read aloud, either!

"Caution: The contents of this bottle should not be fed to fish." -- On a bottle of shampoo for dogs.

"Recycled flush water unsafe for drinking." -- On a toilet at a public sports facility in Ann Arbor, Michigan

"Shin pads cannot protect any part of the body they do not cover." -- On a pair of shin guards made for bicyclists.

"Eating rocks may lead to broken teeth." -- On a novelty rock garden set called "Popcorn Rock."

"Remember, objects in the mirror are actually behind you." -- On a motorcycle helmet-mounted rear-view mirror.

"Warning: Do not climb inside this bag and zip it up. Doing so will cause injury and death." -- A label inside a protective bag (for fragile objects), which measures 15cm by 15cm by 12cm.

"Warning: has been found to cause cancer in laboratory mice." -- On a box of rat poison.

"Warning: do not use if you have prostate problems." -- On a box of Midol PMS relief tablets.

"Do not dangle the mouse by its cable or throw the mouse at co-workers." -- From a manual for an SGI computer.

"Warning: Misuse may cause injury or death." -- Stamped on the metal barrel of a .22 calibre rifle.

Strange? Yes. But it just goes to show people will sue for any reason they can find.

Last edited:

Strange? Yes. But it just goes to show people will sue for any reason they can find.

I tend to take a more cynical viewpoint: somewhere, sometime, those instructions were a necessary warning for someone :rolleyes:

My favorite:

Braille numbers on a drive-up ATM keypad. Note that the screen isn't read aloud, either!

I seem to recall there being some stupid regulation that requires this.

I saw a funny regulation that said no large women or horses were allowed in bikinis at the airport.

Another said no person may air dry thier undergarmets in view of others at the airport.

Not sure if thats the exact wording, but it was funny. I'll have to see if I can find where I saw that.

On a tour of the Boeing 747 assembly line, we came to one of the behemoths waiting for its engines to be installed. We were told that the planes were somewhat tailheavy without the engines. The nose was weighted down with two enormous cement cubes, prolly 4' each side, chained to the airframe.... with the familiar red flag: "remove before flight".

-Skip

You got to go on an actual tour of boeing??? I'm jealous!! They just took us up to the top level and let us look out. I was dissapointed.

Sorry, but this wasn't in a POH.

OK, maybe not the best for mixed company, but here's one I saw.

In a pub in northern Scotland, in the men's room was the familiar vending machine. One of the items for sale was "whiskey flavored condoms".

The fine print below said "WARNING: Not to be used whilst driving."

HAHA!! That reminds me of a place in colorado. They said the guys bathroom had a see through glass that was a mirror on the outside. When you walked into the girls bathroom it was a cowboy mannequin hovering over a urinal. It freaks everyone out the first time!

Can't speak for anything in Colorado, but there was a place (may still be there, for all I know) in Lawrence, KS that had a mirror/window in the mens' room above the, ahem, urinals that looked out towards the bar.

Can't speak for anything in Colorado, but there was a place (may still be there, for all I know) in Lawrence, KS that had a mirror/window in the mens' room above the, ahem, urinals that looked out towards the bar.
There's restaurant under the Chicago 'L' tracks that has the Men's john on the second level exactly at the same level with the train platform. I noticed the first time when I was inside and looked out right at the platform. Standing on the platform more than once I saw that, yep, you could look right in the bidness going on a mere 25 or so feet away. The blinds were closed only occasionally.
The only thing mitigating was that the urinals face away from the platform.

Yep thats what this was, it was pretty funny. Think the place was called Cassedy's.

There is a bar in LaCrosse, Wi. Like that. The window is to where everyone is playing darts and they constantly will walk up to the window/mirror and bang on it and 'scream I see you!"

There is a bar in LaCrosse, Wi. Like that. The window is to where everyone is playing darts and they constantly will walk up to the window/mirror and bang on it and 'scream I see you!"
that should shorten the visit to the bathroom significantly

N/A, but related: At a nukular power plant every word written down is to be taken literally (even though many are not). So, during our most recent refueling outage I saw a temporary sign posted opposite the personal contamination dress-out area (we're already wearing cotton running shorts/tee shirts) which read:

Fire safety zone. Absolutely no clothing, hard hats, or other
garments permitted in this area.

About 15 feet away is the dress-out area. Some of us speculated whether that meant we were to go completely nekkid:hairraise: through that marked-off area. Of course doing so would mean we would be violating safety standards, since we would have taken off our steel-toed shoes!!

Fortunately, nobody took the sign too literally.

Jim

I seem to recall there being some stupid regulation that requires this.

Actually it's a simple explanation. Why would you make two separate models of keypads, one for drive-up and one for walk-up? Yeah, the braille is not needed on the drive-up ATM (unless the blind guy is in the back of your car ;) ), but I'm sure the company saves a bit of cash by only having one mold for the keypad w/ braille.

Actually it's a simple explanation. Why would you make two separate models of keypads, one for drive-up and one for walk-up? Yeah, the braille is not needed on the drive-up ATM (unless the blind guy is in the back of your car ;) ), but I'm sure the company saves a bit of cash by only having one mold for the keypad w/ braille.

Whats the whole point of braille being on an ATM anyways?? I blind person can't see whats on the screen anyways. :dunno:

Whats the whole point of braille being on an ATM anyways?? I blind person can't see whats on the screen anyways. :dunno:
Many ATMs have a plug for an audio output. The blind person walks up, plugs in his speaker, and uses the braille keys.

One less hurdle for the blind person to get by.

-Skip

This is getting totally off topic but last year at a tour of the lockmart plant, our guide shared an amusing anecdote as we passed the restrooms - there are these circular basin-things about 4' across, outside the restrooms, with a circular bar you step on to activate the water so as to wash your hands. Yup, very recently a foreign visitor relieved himself right there in the wash basin, in the main hallway of the factory with crowds walking by!

Many ATMs have a plug for an audio output. The blind person walks up, plugs in his speaker, and uses the braille keys.

One less hurdle for the blind person to get by.

-Skip

Precisely. Not as absurd as one initially thinks :D

This is getting totally off topic but last year at a tour of the lockmart plant, our guide shared an amusing anecdote as we passed the restrooms - there are these circular basin-things about 4' across, outside the restrooms, with a circular bar you step on to activate the water so as to wash your hands. Yup, very recently a foreign visitor relieved himself right there in the wash basin, in the main hallway of the factory with crowds walking by!
Okay as to get TOTALY of topic, I heard that they are designing toilets in other countries that spray up to "wash" you. Hmmm...Not sure how I feel about that one.

Okay as to get TOTALY of topic, I heard that they are designing toilets in other countries that spray up to "wash" you. Hmmm...Not sure how I feel about that one.
You've not watched "Crocodile Dundee II"?

I had the pleasure of watching a newbie plumber install a number of those "freedom" toilets on a commercial project. He, uh, got an eyeful. hahahahahaha

Japan Toliets!!!

They are the coolest. They are made by Toto and have this really cool instrument console right next to the seat ala Capt Kirk that controls all the stuff. Heated seat, air fan to pull air into the toilet and then the water spray controls. There is the stream heat, pulsating or smooth, frequency of the pulse, aim of the spray, etc. I cannot help but think to myself when using them, "we need more power!" :D;)

otaku_p1-2.gif

washlet.jpg

Westerners are amazed at these things and toilet talk will soon ensue for first time visitors.

Last edited:
Japan Toliets!!!

They are the coolest. They are made by Toto and have this really cool instrument console right next to the seat ala Capt Kirk that controls all the stuff. Heated seat, air fan to pull air into the toilet and then the water spray controls. There is the stream heat, pulsating or smooth, frequency of the pulse, aim of the spray, etc. I cannot help but think to myself when using them, "we need more power!" :D;)

Sounds like you and the toilet got a bit...too acquainted.

I've still gotta make plans to visit Japan, but not for the toilets :p

I'm putting one in when I finish my upstairs. Wash and dry vs wipe and chafe, it's a no brainer.

Back