Odd Report

Palmpilot

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Palm
Palo Alto Airport is showing an odd weather report right now.

Odd Report.png

do you mean that portions of the reporting area are broken and 900 and others are overcast at 900?

No wind and mist isn't all that interesting.

Hmmm, not seeing it...winds calm, 6sm mist, broken AND overcast 900, temp 15 dew point 13, alt 29.95...

It'll probably even out after a while.

do you mean that portions of the reporting area are broken and 900 and others are overcast at 900?
Yes, that's what I meant. For some reason I had always assumed that the percentage of sky coverage that defines overcast, broken, etc. referred to percentage of the entire sky that's visible from the airport, but your explanation makes sense. It's just that this is the first time I've seen a report like that.

Yes, that's what I meant. For some reason I had always assumed that the percentage of sky coverage that defines overcast, broken, etc. referred to percentage of the entire sky that's visible from the airport, but your explanation makes sense. It's just that this is the first time I've seen a report like that.
It don't work like that. FEW, SCT, BKN and OVC are based on the % of coverage of the entire horizon. I'm sure that's just a boo boo.

Back