Odd Plane Circling

Traffic watch? AM station (740 I think) there usually has something up. Might be Atlanta PD helo too.

I remember seeing that one posted elsewhere and somebody had linked it to an FBI corp with the running theory that it's for sigint.

Crop circles. As in 'Circling' a marijuana 'crop' to lead in some ground troops.

It's FBI. You see them around DC alot too. They circle for hours around 5-7k. Usually they are registered to some shell company in Bristow VA. There's somebody or something of interested they're looking at/listening to.

So this may or may not be connected, but as the 182 left the area I saw the Gwinnett County police chopper leave LZU and head north near 985 and disappear.... I'm guessing they landed and got whoever the FBI plane was looking at. That's my theory anyway.

Rumor has it the Feds are using a 182 for surveillance. Has been spotted in many states,burning holes in the sky. If you look up,smile.

That's almost certainly not a standard patrol-function LE flight (and we usually use helicopters anyway)… the flight track just doesn't resemble that of a LE aircraft doing standard patrol functions. And, I doubt it is a traffic watch, though that is possible. But, as others mentioned, a number of the federal alphabet agencies fly small single engine piston airplanes for crime fighting around some of the major metro areas. They have a purpose, but they don't advertise their presence very much. A few of my friends have been on those flights, and the tracks look an awful lot like the ones typically flown for those missions. It's also possible that local LE was doing a high-and-wide surveillance of a specific target on the ground, waiting for the boots on the ground to initiate something.

Last edited:
Talking about government contractors.... I can only assume...
http://www.dynamicaviation.com

Click on some of the flight tracks that N8200h leaves...
and then some of N41J, from October 2015, 5 hr flights off the coast of florida...
You'll have to keep scrolling down and letting the tracks reload to get back to October. Then just click on a track and it will open a track window.

https://go.spidertracks.com/fleetpro/public/dynamicaviationinc/tracks

Then zoom in on Bridgewater air park in VA, and conjure up what operations are based from there. KVBW. Notice aircraft types, and the rolling fuselages without wings and tails.
https://go.spidertracks.com/fleetpro/public/dynamicaviationinc/dashboard (have to zoom in and click on the satellite view)

yup....Feds peeping on someone's text and data. Happens all the time. <....dons tin foil hat thingy>

We had that over our town....and they were tracking the anthrax dude before he killed himself. Seriously, stay out of the way of those guys....or they will make your life difficult. You can go to the red board and read about Greenwire's adventures with those guys.

Last edited:

I see about four non-standard antennas, all for fairly high frequencies and a number of them "patch" style, and a gyro-stabilized camera mount that's mounted low enough it's going to be completely covered in crap when landing on slushy/muddy/dirty runways, but has a 360 degree turn ability unlike those mounted higher on wing pods that can be blocked by the aircraft. Most of those are computer controlled to track a point on the ground, so circling is just to keep the aircraft within range, and the ball mount and the computer take care of keeping the camera on the target during reasonably shallow maneuvering.

Probably not just daylight capable either -- likely has FLIR or other low-light technology in the pod too. Keeping it away from light sources on the wingtips at night would be another reason it's mounted down low.

A Cessna is cheaper and quieter than a helo. (And less noticible to people paranoid about "black helicopters")

Fore to aft, I would hazard these guesses:
- Two standard VHF Comm antennas for Aviation band.
- DME antenna, center under the back seat. (Edit: Could also be ADS-B 978.)
- Gyro stabilized camera pod, same aft station as the DME antenna.
- Can't tell if that's a battery drain or an antenna on the starboard area just behind the rear seat.
- The "straight stick" is interesting, too short for VHF and too long for UHF, and not "swept back", so probably isn't originally an antenna designed for an aircraft. But it does have a fairing, so... hard to say from that photo.
- Another COM antenna. Likely hooked to FM 2-way gear to talk to ground personnal on "company" frequencies.
- Tiny square "patch" antenna or just a fairing, but looks antenna-ish. Similar to GPS sized patches but on the wrong side (bottom) of the aircraft.
- Larger blocky "patch" that's "access point" sized under the "5". Interesting.
- Dorsal "fin" style antenna, probably UHF by size furthest aft.

Oh and two of them mounted dead in-line with the crap coming out of the tailpipe. Dumb. Should have put at least the one forward of "Y" in the tail number on the other side. :)

Looks mostly like a camera platform. Not even seeing any tiny stub antennas for hooking say, a "Stingray" device to, but that "straight stick" could be a multiband wide-band colinear antenna for cellular frequencies.

1. Orbit bad-guys
2. Steal Underpants
3. ...

Profit!

The rubber leading edge boot on the horizontal stabilizer cracks me up... if you're tossing that much crap aft, that camera pod is also getting it's butt kicked. Most of them "stow" themselves pointing rearward for landing, so the hard cover takes the majority of the abuse, but still... crud in the collar where it rotates and what not means, they're probably not landing on too many unimproved strips or fouled ones with tons of precip either the melty or the non-melty variety, when they can avoid it. Airplane probably had it installed before they bought it and added their toys.

It's also interesting how zoom lenses flatten perspective. Check out where it looks like the pitot tube is. The flattening of the depth of field by the lens taking the shot of the airplane, makes the pitot tube look like it's mounted to the port side of the fuselage just by snapping the shutter at the right time. :)

yup....Feds peeping on someone's text and data. Happens all the time. <....dons tin foil hat thingy>

We had that over our town....and they were tracking the anthrax dude before he killed himself. Seriously, stay out of the way of those guys....or they will make your life difficult. You can go to the red board and read about Greenwire's adventures with those guys.
Have a link?

It's FBI. You see them around DC alot too. They circle for hours around 5-7k. Usually they are registered to some shell company in Bristow VA. There's somebody or something of interested they're looking at/listening to.

Not shell companies, legitimate contracting company performing some desired task for the government. We train pilots state side and then ship them off to other area's to practice circles there. Most of the purposes is some type of collection or another.

001067465.jpg

Here's one our shop used to work on. Federal agency for sure, and the camera that mounts on the side is ultra-capable. That's all I can say except I sure like the "picture window" behind the pilot.

I'm hangared with the local LE birds... They take their 182 up to 8,500' for their missions.. They have a "whosyerdaddybillybadass" gyro stabilized camera that captures stuff in fine detail The bad guys have no idea they are up there..

I'm just glad my up to no good days are long gone!

Almost looks like my training flight a couple weeks ago. lol
Granted I was only at 1000' AGL practicing ground reference maneuvers.
After a half dozen circles or so I joked with my CFI that the farmers down there are going to bring out their shotguns pretty soon thinking we're the government spying on them.

295946o.png

Well i hope its not him. He died two years ago. RIP.

Sorry to hear that. I haven't worked in ATL in a few years , didn't know. Always enjoyed the reports in the am when I'd drive down from Blue Ridge to ATL. RIP Capt Herb.

Not shell companies, legitimate contracting company performing some desired task for the government. We train pilots state side and then ship them off to other area's to practice circles there. Most of the purposes is some type of collection or another.

How many different contracting companies working out of the same PO Box in Bristow VA can there be? FWIW, Bristow is home to Manassas Regional Airport in Prince William County.

How many different contracting companies working out of the same PO Box in Bristow VA can there be? FWIW, Bristow is home to Manassas Regional Airport in Prince William County.
Last I looked our company was made up of 58 individual companies, all to the Ballston address.

Ok, I really have to quit flying my old Bonanza in circles to take pictures and look at the ground below... that shotgun comment about farmers is likely around here. (Although what I hear them shooting sounds more like what I had in the Army ...)

I'm hangared with the local LE birds... They take their 182 up to 8,500' for their missions.. They have a "whosyerdaddybillybadass" gyro stabilized camera that captures stuff in fine detail The bad guys have no idea they are up there..

I'm just glad my up to no good days are long gone!

How do you know you're not a bad guy?

Seems like it takes very little nowadays to be considered a bad guy.

Here's another one, just watching traffic over lunch and saw this guy over St. Pete, 182T and 7000 ish feet up.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 32
I'll bet it's aerial "mapping." These guys are based out of an airport near me and run work for the feds and PDs in several cities in the Midwest.

http://www.pss-1.com

Apparently they can circle up there and take highly detailed images of the entire city that is then uploaded to a database and used for crime solution. The images are so detailed they can track individuals.

Not sure what I think of it personally, but there you go. He offered me a slot flying their 210...I declined since he was what he was offering would be a violation of Commercial rules. :confused:o_O He's a shady guy running a shady operation as far as I'm concerned.

Back