Ocracoke Island (W95)

fyrmdc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
David
I am headed to Ocracoke Island in a few weeks. Can anyone give me some heads up about the MOAs and SUAs in the area? How difficult is it to get to the island from the Northwest (we will be coming from WV)? Any good suggestions on the winds? Fly early in the day? Any places to go (Kittyhawk is on the list).

Thanks!

Dave

I usually arrive from PUNGO intersection above 6k and there's no issue. Cherry Point will let you know if they're active or not if you prefer to pass through them. Enjoy your flight, Ocracoke is a fun place to visit.

Sometimes it's windy, but no worries, it's usually pretty steady and not very turbulent.

Plan to go around. As @Brad Z said, PUNGO is a good choice. But if it's not "hot" at the time, Cherry Point Approach will let you through the Restricted area. Almost a safe bet if it's a weekend.

Also agree on the winds. I've flown in in the morning and left in the afternoon. Not a big deal, but that of course depends on how comfortable you are with them.

Orcacoke is a great island for a day or weekend trip. Other places? How long are you staying?

We are flying in on a Sunday and are planning on staying until the following Saturday. Right now we have no plans except to sit back and relax.

Thanks for the responses so far,

Dave

If you don't mind the walk, fly to billy Mitchel field (hatteras) and go to the light house. On another day, fly up to kitty hawk, then hop over to Manteo and crab the crew car for a ride to downtown Manteo for Lunch and a stroll.

Hyde co. Has the cheapest gas in the area, but the field is in the middle of no where. Nice Fbo building.

Another option on the way in is to take the scenic route by more head city, and down around cape lookout, then up the shoreline to w95.

Just shy of 3000', sea level, 24hr pilots lounge, seem like a pretty easy strip, I'd just say have a GPS of some sort for those restricted areas, or talk to approach on 19.75 and have them give you some pointers. Seems like a cool little airport.

image.jpg

I'd like to take the bride down for a couple days. Any recommendations on lodging?

If you don't mind the walk, fly to billy Mitchel field (hatteras) and go to the light house. On another day, fly up to kitty hawk, then hop over to Manteo and crab the crew car for a ride to downtown Manteo for Lunch and a stroll.

Hyde co. Has the cheapest gas in the area, but the field is in the middle of no where. Nice Fbo building.

That's an 8 mile walk each way along a busy road to the cape Hatteras lighthouse from Billy Mitchell.

We get flight following from SE Ohio and ask if they are hot when we are close. They are usually cold on the weekends. We will be going down weekend after next. Walk into town and find a place to eat, rent a golf cart, rent a boat, rent a bicycle, walk past the lighthouse and go for a swim or picnic at the beach(1000' to water). Nothing out of the ordinary with winds, just practice before you go and don't exceed your personal limits. You definitely do not want to break something, it will be a few days getting help. FFA is a nice stop too, Hyde Co for fuel, fly up or down the coast. Enjoy.

Last edited:
I'd like to take the bride down for a couple days. Any recommendations on lodging?

We like the Anchorage Inn. Basic hotel, clean, well maintained and the people are very aviation friendly. Tell them you are flying in. Good location, get a room on the third or fourth floor, much better view (see attached). The Ocracoke Harbor Inn and the Castle on Silver Lake are also a very nice places. There are a few other B&B's around the harbor, but we haven't stayed at them. Lots of good places to eat from good basic food (Jaysons) to fairly upscale (Back Porch & Flying Mellon).

October is a beautiful time to be there.

Attachments

• IMG_0473.JPG
    IMG_0473.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 27
Call Howard's Pub on the unicom before you land. They will come get you as long as you eat there. Beats walking to town. If you're not in a hurry to get there I also vote going the long, scenic way around EWN then MRH/Cape Lookout and up under the Core MOA. Fly on the western side of NKT as you head south if you don't want a section of Harriers shoved in your earhole on their way to the 5306A.

Most of the hotels will come pick you up at the airfield if you arrange it before hand, then just call from the pilot shack at the field (squawk VFR for the door code).

Well, it looks like a hurricane has other plans for us rather than visiting Ocracoke. Anyone have any good ideas for places to go for a couple of days away from hurricane winds?

Back