Ocean City, MD or NJ for July 4th

AirplaneIt

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Nicholas S
Hey all! Any suggestions on destinations for a day trip out of central New Jersey (N14) for the 4th of July? Beach, hiking, food, all good suggestions. Here's what I'm thinking so far, maybe you can comment:

Ocean City, NJ (too short of a flight in my opinion)

Ocean City, MD: does anyone know about transportation into town? How long of a walk is it?

Any other suggetions? I would also love to hear about any airports with good hiking trails nearby.

-Nicholas

Hey all! Any suggestions on destinations for a day trip out of central New Jersey (N14) for the 4th of July? Beach, hiking, food, all good suggestions. Here's what I'm thinking so far, maybe you can comment:

Ocean City, NJ (too short of a flight in my opinion)

Ocean City, MD: does anyone know about transportation into town? How long of a walk is it?

Any other suggetions? I would also love to hear about any airports with good hiking trails nearby.

-Nicholas

KOXB- Bring your checkbook for the honor system landing fee (not sure if it's in the AF/D yet, but wasn't when I went there last year).

Get a taxi. I used the list in Foreflight; many non-working numbers until we found a good one.

Runway 14 on a moonless, starless night is a black hole on downwind leg. You're staring out into the Atlantic decending before making your base turn. Ask me how I know that it's a scary thing to do for a new PPL with 1st Pax aboard:yikes:

26N- Attempted to go there at night, couldn't get the lights to work (at night) and unable to identify the airport without them. I diverted to KACY. Perhaps I'll add that to my logbook in the near future.

Maybe I'll see you there (haven't yet decided to fly that day - but I do see that there will be fireworks at KOXB).

Runway 14 on a moonless, starless night is a black hole on downwind leg. You're staring out into the Atlantic decending before making your base turn. Ask me how I know that it's a scary thing to do for a new PPL with 1st Pax aboard:yikes:

How do you know?

Actually, you mean downwind for 32? Upwind for 14 is pretty amazing. Complete inky blackness, and then a brightly lit boardwalk complete with ferris wheel on the left. I did my night cross country to OXB. First trip at night taking off into that inky blackness was pretty crazy. It's good to know that the laws of physics still apply at night :)

How do you know?

Actually, you mean downwind for 32? Upwind for 14 is pretty amazing. Complete inky blackness, and then a brightly lit boardwalk complete with ferris wheel on the left. I did my night cross country to OXB. First trip at night taking off into that inky blackness was pretty crazy. It's good to know that the laws of physics still apply at night :)

Good catch

OCMD is the blue-collar summer holiday haven for MD, VA, DC, and PA. If you like souvenir T-shirts, cotton candy, funnel cake, franchise pizza, and soft-serve ice cream, and people who should not have worn spandex, you'll love it. Lots of HS/college kids on their own, too -- think about that if your teenage daughter asks about going there with friends.

The airport is on the mainland, but all the beachy stuff is on the strand on the other side of the bridge. You cannot walk to the beach from the airport -- if you don't get heatstroke, you'll get hit by a car. One of the taxi services monitors CTAF, so that's a better option. No hiking trails near the airport, but the boardwalk along the beach should keep you pretty busy for the day. Caution: no dogs allowed on the beach this time of year.

All in all, having been to OCNJ, too, I'd rather go there for a day trip.

BTW, if you don't have reservations for OCMD yet, you're probably out of luck for hotels for the 4th -- huge week down here, but you said day trip, not overnight, so that shouldn't be an issue for you.

OCMD is the blue-collar summer holiday haven for MD, VA, DC, and PA. If you like souvenir T-shirts, cotton candy, funnel cake, franchise pizza, and soft-serve ice cream, and people who should not have worn spandex, you'll love it. Lots of HS/college kids on their own, too -- think about that if your teenage daughter asks about going there with friends.

The airport is on the mainland, but all the beachy stuff is on the strand on the other side of the bridge. You cannot walk to the beach from the airport -- if you don't get heatstroke, you'll get hit by a car. One of the taxi services monitors CTAF, so that's a better option. No hiking trails near the airport, but the boardwalk along the beach should keep you pretty busy for the day. Caution: no dogs allowed on the beach this time of year.

BTW, if you don't have reservations for OCMD yet, you're probably out of luck for hotels for the 4th -- huge week down here, but you said day trip, not overnight, so that shouldn't be an issue for you.

What Ron said. It is fun for a -day- trip. Don't fly the black hole unless your IR and night competent. Nice airport.

The nice thing about OCNJ, 26N is that you can WALK to the beach from the airport. I know its a short flight for you, maybe go twice.

How about WWD? No hiking trails that I know of but short cab ride to the beach

How about WWD? No hiking trails that I know of but short cab ride to the beach

Without my relatives to pick him up we're talking $70 cab ride round trip to Cape May.

You cannot walk to the beach from the airport -- if you don't get heatstroke, you'll get hit by a car. One of the taxi services monitors CTAF, so that's a better option.

There is a non-brand rental car outfit at the airport, turned out to be cheaper than taking a cab. $20 and a handshake got me the keys to some sort of kia for 3 hrs.

There is a non-brand rental car outfit at the airport, turned out to be cheaper than taking a cab. $20 and a handshake got me the keys to some sort of kia for 3 hrs.

The non brand has been bought out by Hertz.

Without my relatives to pick him up we're talking $70 cab ride round trip to Cape May.

$70? You're getting ripped off. It should be about $15-20 each way.

I've used Kindle auto group (local at dealer that does rentals), but I haven't found a $20 deal in many years. Care to share who it was? The Ace car rental guy affiliated himself with Hertz and prices have gone up accordingly.

Care to share who it was? The Ace car rental guy affiliated himself with Hertz and prices have gone up accordingly.

Whoever worked out of the little office with the window just inside the terminal on the left. 3 or 4 weeks ago.

How about TGI for the day. Been thinking about doing that myself. Never been.

I can't go tomorrow. Most of our customers have the week off, so we have to stick around. In the horse biz, we have to work when everybody else plays. And vice versa. And a show this weekend.

Might be able to bust loose next week.

I might be able to swing a trip to TGI. We'd have to see. I enjoy the island--the beach is absolutely not to miss--and could probably spend the whole day there, though others might have a hard time with it. As I mentioned in another thread, you either like it or you don't. But even if you don't like it, there's no reason not to try it at least once.

If anyone's passing SBY on the way south to TGI or north to OCNJ and would like a rider tomorrow (Wed, 7/4), let me know -- my plane's still in pieces (but a lot fewer pieces than last week).

In OCMD now, runway 2/20 is still closed. Great airport and friendly folks. Cab ride to the boardwalk/beach is @ $12 each way. There are rental cars available too, see Don at the window in the terminal or call him in advance (410-213-7336).

Plenty to do and see on the boardwalk and the beach is right there. Make sure you check for the fireworks TFR today.

WWD/ cape may, ride to airport is $16/ each way to the beach according to taxi co I called.

The nice thing about OCNJ, 26N is that you can WALK to the beach from the airport. I know its a short flight for you, maybe go twice.

Be careful about dispensing that advice...someone may want to sue you one day:D

Myself and a friend walked it a couple months ago...the boardwalk was further than I imagined based on your advice.

Myself and a friend walked it a couple months ago...the boardwalk was further than I imagined based on your advice.

Well it would be important to read the advice correctly then. He said the "BEACH" not the " Board Walk" The beach is a few blocks walk. The board walk is not.:yes::D

I got the same deal in OC MD, only it was an older Miata, and no time limit. Though we got there later in the afternoon, right before he was about to leave anyway.

As a South Jersey native, I disagree that OCNJ is any nicer than MD. Both fit Ron's description equally imo. Especially the part about the spandex...

Thinking about an overnight trip to one of these. We've stayed in a local hotel flying into KOXB few years ago as wife found a smokin' deal on a 4/5 star (Sheraton IIRC).

Anything like that at 26N?

Just one more vote for New Jersey. Very nice airport, has lights, the ACY controllers will let you fly along and look at the city lights on the way home if you'd like; fun boardwalk, no hassle of a cab to the beach, etc. (The walk isn't very long at all, and can be along the beach.)

My trip on Labor Day afternoon was KMTN - KPHL - 26N - KPHL - KMTN, and there are a few pictures here: http://www.oxfordechoes.com/labor-day-in-ocean-city-nj/

OXB is fine ,you need to take a cab to the beach,boardwalk. A little pricey,some great sea food restaurants ,crab a specialty. Just stopped at WWD short cab ride to beach,plenty of old hotels ,and B&B's around the beach. Also a short ride to wildwood NJ. Both airports are worth a stop.

My son and I walked it (26N) a couple weeks ago & took a taxi back…..

Never been to OXB have been to 26N twice. They have out door showers at the airport which after a day at the beach is nice. Not a big fan of sand in the clothes. Although when I was there I they were kind of dirty.

If your going to consider OXB then you should also consider KWWD and get a cab to the beach. Its well worth it. Nice beaches, nice shops and restaurants.

Never been to OXB have been to 26N twice. They have out door showers at the airport which after a day at the beach is nice. Not a big fan of sand in the clothes. Although when I was there I they were kind of dirty.

If your going to consider OXB then you should also consider KWWD and get a cab to the beach. Its well worth it. Nice beaches, nice shops and restaurants.

I flew to WWD memorial day and they seem to be ran well. You can use relay rides and rent a car nearby. I got an older Mercedes c class for $40 with tax and insurance, and the owner left it at the airport for me.

Ocean city md. , grab a cab and be taken to fagers island resturant for lunch. Walk to the beach from there is easy.

My son and I walked it (26N) a couple weeks ago & took a taxi back…..
Wife and I do the same; from the gate of 26N to the south end of the boardwalk is a brisk 10 minute walk. The north end is about a mile further. Cab ride is about 10 bucks, plus tip. Get phone numbers from the sign-in desk at the airport. Also there is a parking fee at the airport, I think $10 (overnight is more), and a beach access ticket is $5/head IIRC.

One thing for sure -- if you don't have your OCMD reservations for this 4th of July by now, it may be slim pickings for a good room at a good hotel.

Wife and I do the same; from the gate of 26N to the south end of the boardwalk is a brisk 10 minute walk good 45 minute walk. The north end is about a mile further. Cab ride is about 10 bucks, plus tip. Get phone numbers from the sign-in desk at the airport. Also there is a parking fee at the airport, I think $10 (overnight is more), and a beach access ticket is $5/head IIRC.

Why do you folks keep saying that!!! We didn't walk PAST the boardwalk!!! I may even still have the receipt for the pizza joint we ate at (???).

It's 7/10 of a mile from the front door of the airport diner to the beach end of 23rd St (southern terminus of the boardwalk). So sayeth Google Maps.
Of course it's all residential for maybe the next half a mile up the 'walk.

Back