Ocean City is out, crabcakes are in

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
Well, I can't / don't want to climb up on the wing of a Cessna right now for preflight, so I've cancelled the Skyhawk reservation and reserved a Tiger for the 4th. The thing with that is that it's a two hour round trip drive to get to the plane, and the flying time would only be about an hour. I've just got to fly at least as long as I drove to get to the airport, so Ocean City, NJ is out.

Instead, crabcakes are in. I've been dreaming of flying down to the Eastern Shore and getting crabcakes since before I got my ticket, but for whatever reason haven't made it. Well, this trip is it. Time for some yummies.

What are a couple of the best places to get crabcakes in DE, MD, or even VA? I think we'll stop at a couple places and compare, kind of duplicate the article I haven't read yet in AOPA Pilot.

Hope the weather is good. We worked so long and hard to get the ticket, I can't think of a better way to celebrate freedom on the Fourth of July than puttering around the sky whereever I want chasing the best concoction made by man... crabcakes :)

What is it with you folks on the east coast. We have crabs in the Pacific (Dungeness) that are so good that to do anything other than crack them and eat the meat is almost sacrilege. And you want to make cakes out of yours? :D :D :D

Have a great flight. Any excuse works for me.

Ghery said:
What is it with you folks on the east coast. We have crabs in the Pacific (Dungeness) that are so good that to do anything other than crack them and eat the meat is almost sacrilege. And you want to make cakes out of yours? :D :D :D

I hate to admit this, but I've never just cracked them open and eaten them :redface: Crab cakes, crab soup, mushroom and crab stuffing, I've had, but never plain ole crab legs. Heck, I don't even know how to go about it LOL

Ghery said:

Dungeness...pbbbbtttt..and I used to catch them for a living. Blue crab is the best I've ever had and they're not limited to just the east coast. Crabcakes are worth it.

Crabcakes are great.

But man, oh man, let me at those alaskan king crab legs. Mmm.

We went to vegas, my wife had never been to a Vegas buffet before. So went to the one in the hotel, the Alladin.

She went and browsed, I literally ate nothing but crab legs.

OK Joe. This is really getting to me. The best place for crabs and or crab cakes are Cambridge, MD, CGE, Crisfield, MD, W41, Tangier Island, TGI or Georgetown, DE, GED. Tiger and crab cakes? Perfection.

And for you California people, Dungennes crabs ain't nothin like East Coast Blue Claw Crabs. Totally different.

Anthony said:
OK Joe. This is really getting to me. The best place for crabs and or crab cakes are Cambridge, MD, CGE, Crisfield, MD, W41, Tangier Island, TGI or Georgetown, DE, GED. Tiger and crab cakes? Perfection.

And for you California people, Dungennes crabs ain't nothin like East Coast Blue Claw Crabs. Totally different.

I was actually thinking about hitting 3 out of 4 of those. I don't think anyone has mentioned TGI before. I've got the plane for 7 hours... that's plenty of time to let the belly settle a bit before the next stop :)

I have to vote for Maine - I think that southern Maine has, by far, the best crabs I've ever had.

And yes - you do need to eat some crab legs as just crab legs....delicious!

If you really want, McDonalds had McLobster Rolls, and McCrab Cakes when I was up there....but I wouldn't suggest it :D

NickDBrennan said:
I have to vote for Maine - I think that southern Maine has, by far, the best crabs I've ever had.

And yes - you do need to eat some crab legs as just crab legs....delicious!

If you really want, McDonalds had McLobster Rolls, and McCrab Cakes when I was up there....but I wouldn't suggest it :D

I would never, even with an employee discount, buy a crab cake from McDs. That's just wrong!! :)

Anthony said:

What you mean, you California people? As if we don't know crab? To me, Dungeness is towards the bottom of the list of good tasting crab. I've been everywhere, man. Besides, you're in CO.B)

Anthony said:

California people? Well, I am a 4th generation native, but I escaped. My wife is a native Washingtonian, and she'll agree with me. Dungennes fresh off the boat. It doesn't get any better than that.

The best crabs I ever had in the Chesapeake area were the ones I caught myself with a piece of rope, a chicken back, and a friend. We took 'em back to our campsite and cooked 'em in an aluminum bucket fifteen minutes later. Vise-grips and a rock took care of the shells...

Isn't it sad how most people think of crabmeat as those "SeaLegs" artificially colored things you get in the store, made of cornstarch, sugar, and pollack.

Terry

Bay bridge has some good restaurants, but I don't believe any are within walking distance. Excellent on the pier seafood though. And I can attest to the crab cake sandwiches at GED. Damn, I'm gettin' hungry.

Jim G

Ghery said:
Dungennes fresh off the boat. It doesn't get any better than that.

Ghery,

Kind of a long ride for a day trip in a Tiger...a Mooney maybe but a Tiger!? C'mon.

:<)

Len

grattonja said:
Bay bridge has some good restaurants, but I don't believe any are within walking distance. Excellent on the pier seafood though. And I can attest to the crab cake sandwiches at GED. Damn, I'm gettin' hungry.

Jim G

Jim. You can walk to Hemmingways from W29 (Bay Bridge). Its right on the water. There is also the "gourmet garage" a Citgo station with a great restaurant attached a few steps from the airport. Hemmingways, is a little bit of a haul walking, but its worth it for the food and view.

Joe. My wife and I did a Chesapeake Bay tour once. We hit CGE, W41 and TGI in the same day, maybe W29 also, but I forget. They're all pretty close.

Last edited:
Richard said:
What you mean, you California people? As if we don't know crab? To me, Dungeness is towards the bottom of the list of good tasting crab. I've been everywhere, man. Besides, you're in CO.B)

Ha! You got me there! I've been cutting Elk steaks into an outline of a crab. Just not the same. :)

Joe Williams said:
I hate to admit this, but I've never just cracked them open and eaten them :redface: Crab cakes, crab soup, mushroom and crab stuffing, I've had, but never plain ole crab legs. Heck, I don't even know how to go about it LOL

Joe,

It is not just the crab legs...there is meat in the body of the crab but only eat the white stuff...don't eat the yellowish/greenish stuff and don't eat the lungs.

Opening the body of the crab is easier than the legs and claws...they even come with their own pull tab on the bottom.

As someone else mentioned, crabbing is also a lot of fun. It can be done from the dock or in a row boat with some kite string, a hunk of chicken as bait and a net. A chicken leg works well, just tie the kite string to the end of the chicken leg, toss it in the water, pull it up when you feel a tug, use the net before pulling the leg with attached crab(s) out of the water.

Len

Anthony said:
Jim. I forget the name of the restaurant, but you can walk to it from W29 (Bay Bridge). Its right on the water, but a little pricey.

Joe. My wife and I did a Chesapeake Bay tour once. We hit CGE, W41 and TGI in the same day, maybe W29 also, but I forget. They're all pretty close.

Based on reviews I've read in Airnav and stories I've heard, I've long wanted to hit W41. But the latest couple reviews in Airnav aren't so glowing. Anyone here been there recently?

Anthony said:
Jim. I forget the name of the restaurant, but you can walk to it from W29 (Bay Bridge). Its right on the water, but a little pricey.

Hemmingway's is at Bay Bridge (W29). A bit of a walk due to the marina. but doable. It is pricey, but good food and a superb view. For crabs cakes, my favorite is still Sussex Co (GED). For the real thing, Crisfield MD (W41) is hard to beat.

I've always wanted to try Kentmoor (3W3) and Cambridge (CGE) but have never made it.

Joe Williams said:
Based on reviews I've read in Airnav and stories I've heard, I've long wanted to hit W41. But the latest couple reviews in Airnav aren't so glowing. Anyone here been there recently?

Joe. Obviously I haven't been there since we moved to CO, but Max (former airport manager) is gone, but has been replaced, but not by a full time person. Just make sure you call ahead and can get a ride into town where all the restaurants are. Crisfield is where the ferry comes and goes to Tangier Island. Not that you need that, cause you can fly to TGI. It is VERY close to Crisfield, you can easily hit both.

Anthony said:
Jim. You can walk to Hemmingways from W29 (Bay Bridge). Its right on the water. There is also the "gourmet garage" a Citgo station with a great restaurant attached a few steps from the airport. Hemmingways, is a little bit of a haul walking, but its worth it for the food and view.

I would have said that Hemmingways was a VERY long walk, definitely too long for Joe with his cast on. Great eats, though. I have not tried the "gourmet garage" at Citgo. How is that food?

We all should do a fly-in to Tangier some time.

JIm G

grattonja said:
I have not tried the "gourmet garage" at Citgo. How is that food?
We all should do a fly-in to Tangier some time.

JIm G

Not impressed with the "gourmet garage".

Tangier would be fun, never been there!

Gary

Gary said:
Not impressed with the "gourmet garage".

Tangier would be fun, never been there!

Gary

I was dubious of good seafood from a Citgo, but you never know. Some of the dives in the South with good food in them are a surprise.

Jim G

Back