Ocassionally G5 HSI does not power up

Baron62

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Baron62
Ocassionally G5 HSI does not power up when I turn on the battery master. I then proceed to hold the G5 HSI power button for 10 seconds and the unit starts up to run correctly. Has anybody else run into this issue?

Ocassionally G5 HSI does not power up when I turn on the battery master. I then proceed to hold the G5 HSI power button for 10 seconds and the unit starts up to run correctly. Has anybody else run into this issue?

They sure don't flat out say anything about fixing your issue but its worth a shot upgrading the software to find out if it changes it.

Change History
Changes made from version 6.20 to 6.30:
  • Added support for G3X system configurations with no ADAHRS LRUs
  • Added support for sending GAD 13 OAT data over ARINC 429
  • Improved SD card flight data logging
  • General improvements to system operation
  • Includes update to GAD 29 software version 3.20
  • Includes GMC 507 software version 2.80
  • Includes GSA 28 software version 4.40
  • Includes GMU 11 software version 2.00
Changes made from version 6.10 to 6.20:
  • Added additional expert-level autopilot gain configuration
  • Changed to allow GPSS for all configured GPS navigation sources
  • Improved GPS data processing
  • Improved flight director VOR/LOC capture during post-installation ground test
  • Improved powerdown process
  • Includes update to GSA 28 software version 4.40
  • Includes GAD 29 software version 3.10
Changes made from version 6.00 to 6.10:
  • Added outside air temperature and true airspeed display to PFD page
  • Added density altitude display to PFD page when not airborne
  • Added wind display to HSI page
  • Added option for larger HSI display
  • Added display of selected course to HSI page, replacing groundspeed field
  • Added status message to indicate when an LRU software update is in progress
  • Added attitude diagnostic page
  • Added ''Airdata'' ARINC 429 input format
  • Improved formatting of position fields in NMEA RS-232 output
  • Includes GAD 29 software version 3.10
  • Includes GSA 28 software version 4.30
Changes made from version 5.70 to 6.00:
  • Improved VLOC2 selected course control
  • Improved VOR TO/FROM flag operation for NAV radios connected via RS-232
  • Includes update to GAD 29 software version 3.10
  • Includes update to GMC 507 software version 2.80
  • Includes update to GSA 28 software version 4.30
Changes made from version 5.60 to 5.70:
  • Improved GMC 507 pre-flight test processing
  • Includes update to GMC 507 software version 2.60
  • Includes GAD 29 software version 3.00
  • Includes GSA 28 software version 4.10
Changes made from version 5.50 to 5.60:
  • Improved contrast of vertical deviation indicator
  • Improved flight director command display across multiple displays that use different attitude sources
  • Improved NMEA date/time output prior to initial GPS fix
  • Includes update to GMC 507 software version 2.50
Changes made from version 5.30 to 5.50:
  • Added support for GTN VNAV guidance
  • Includes update to GMC 507 software version 2.40
Changes made from version 5.20 to 5.30:
  • Added config mode indication when GMC 507 attitude calibration has not been performed
  • Added config mode indication that aircraft is in motion during magnetometer calibration
  • Improved CAN bus error reporting
  • Improved VHF NAV radio RS-232 OBS course data output
  • Improved GMC 30x annunciator light processing
  • Includes update to GMC 507 software version 2.30

Change History
Changes made from version 5.00 to 5.20:
  • Added support for GSA 28 yaw damper in certified aircraft installations
  • Improved GAD 29B analog heading/course datum outputs
  • Improved battery status display
  • Changed glideslope deviation to be hidden when not flying inbound on localizer course
  • Includes update to GMC 507 software version 2.20
  • Includes update to GSA 28 software version 4.10
Changes made from version 4.10 to 5.00:
  • Added support for GMC 507 AFCS mode control panel
  • Added support for GSA 28 trim servos
  • Added support for flight director VOR, LOC, and GS modes
  • Added display of AFCS pre-flight test status
  • Added support for additional configuration for certified aircraft installations
  • Added ability to display AFCS data on all displays when multiple displays are present
  • Improved status message display
  • Improved ESP operation
  • Includes update to GMC 507 software version 2.10
  • Includes update to GSA 28 software version 4.00
Changes made from version 3.20 to 4.10:
  • Added support for GAD 29B and analog autopilot interface with GPSS
  • Added option to configure roll indicator for sky pointer or ground pointer
  • Added ability to adjust pitch/roll calibration without leveling aircraft
  • Added ability to configure unit yaw installation offset for use in angled panels
  • Added display of battery status on backlight adjustment page
  • Added 'EFIS/Airdata 2' ARINC 429 output format
  • Changed battery status display when battery is unable to charge
  • Changed selected track bug symbol
  • Improved heading tape bug indicator display
  • Improved altitude display when adjusting baro setting
  • Improved HSI page data field display
  • Improved configuration of hectopascal pressure units
  • Includes GSA 28 software version 3.20
Changes made from version 3.10 to 3.20:
  • Improved display of battery status
  • Improved attitude calculation
  • Includes GAD29 software version 2.30
  • Includes GMU11 software version 2.00
  • Includes GSA28 software version 3.20
Changes made from version 2.70 to 3.10:
  • Added support for GMU11 magnetometer
  • Added ability to reset to factory defaults
  • Added auto-slew support to sync VLOC course when switching from GPS to VLOC
  • Improved VHF radio VOR bearing display
  • Improved display of HDG and GPS fields on PFD
  • Improved display of LOI/DR and MSG/WPT indicators on HSI
  • Save PFD heading bug, track bug, and VLOC course through power cycles
  • Includes GAD29 software version 2.30
  • Includes GMU11 software version 2.00
  • Includes GSA28 software version 3.20
Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.70:
  • Improved GPS aiding from GTN and GNS navigators
Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.60:
  • Added configuration option to disable VLOC course selection on standalone unit
  • Changed VLOC course to use decoded OBS setting from MapMX input, if available
  • Changed flight director TO mode to disengage autopilot when activated
  • Changed flight director GA mode to disengage autopilot if minimum airspeed limit is not configured
  • Improved attitude calculation
Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.40:
  • Added display of CDI scale and GPS navigation source annunciations to HSI
  • Added support for Text Out RS-232 format
  • Added configuration setting to allow display of navigation data with a GDU display is present
  • Added configuration setting to hide HSI page
  • Added configuration setting to hide navigation data
  • Added configuration setting to inhibit user pitch offset
  • Added synchronization of TRK bug between multiple units
  • Improved flight director GPS mode when IFR GPS is navigating a heading leg
  • Improved attitude sensor processing
  • Improved GPS receiver performance
  • Improved GSA 28 software update process
  • Improved visibility of VNAV deviation indicator
  • Improved horizontal and vertical deviation data

Last edited:
Thanks. The shop installed version 5.20 so it does have the most up to date software. This actually happened with earlier revisions also.

Not seen the issue in more than 25 flights since install. Are they not powered separately? Seems that if one is drawing power from the other it might not register that it is turned on.

My gut says it's an installation issue. Garmin tech support would probably be able to provide a good direction on what the culprit is.

haven't seen that happening on my set up for regular operation. but I have seen it once when I turned the HSI off, then turned it back on and it didn't came back up until I was holding the button for 5-6 secs

Not seen the issue in more than 25 flights since install. Are they not powered separately? Seems that if one is drawing power from the other it might not register that it is turned on.
I only have the G5 HSI (no G5 AI) in my panel.

I just saw this with dual G5s running 5.7 - my AI did not power on. I was told by my installer to turn the master off, then turn it back on while holding the power button of the G5 AI. It worked fine. I never tried the "hold for 10 seconds" method.

e60d16ab528f989a5c52516450776a44.jpg

I just saw this with dual G5s running 5.7 - my AI did not power on. I was told by my installer to turn the master off, then turn it back on while holding the power button of the G5 AI. It worked fine. I never tried the "hold for 10 seconds" method.

Thats BS if i ever heard it. Not the technique, but having to do so on Brand... New.... Gear. I'd be raising hell till it was solved. Emails followed by phone calls so it is documented and "In warranty" is not questioned.

Three or four of the owners on the Husky board I follow have posted about the exact same thing. All seem to be dual G5 installations. The first two posts are similar vintage to the start of this thread...early 2018. In both cases AI didn't power up. Both were told by their dealers to pull the unit out a bit, remove battery for 60 seconds and reinstall. Problem was supposed to be permanently fixed by doing this. Didn't work.

That's when the "hold power button for 10 seconds" started. Seems to work. Would appear whatever is causing it has not been resolved; most recent post about it was last week. One pilot noticed it seemed to happen consistently on power up after a short power down - eg: start, taxi to fuel pumps and shut down, power up again a few minutes later and the G5s won't start.

I've only had my Dual G5s for 3 flights (over an hour each), as they were installed late 2018. Today at the hangar I needed to reconfigure my 330ES transponder to tell it that I had 1090 and UAT ADS-B in (previously it was mis-configured to only UAT in). The 330ES will not go into configuration mode when the GTN750 is powered on so I needed to pull the breakers for the 750, then turn the master and avionics on. That all worked fine and the 330ES was reconfigured. I then turned everything off.

When I turned the master back on, only the lower G5 came up and it was in AI mode. A call to my avionics installer suggested the "hold the power button, turn master on" technique. After it came up ok, I turned the master off and back on - both G5s came up ok. Hopefully it was just a side-effect of having the 750 disabled briefly.

I honestly don't know if both G5s came on when I first turned on the master as I was focused on the transponder. Maybe the top one went blank when I turned on the avionics with the 750 breakers pulled? Dunno.

Last edited:
Mine just acted up again. It did not power on again when turning on the master 3x. It had not happened for a while. I called Garmin and they stated that it is a known problem. I was instructed to hold the power button for 10 seconds mimimum to reboot the software load with the Master switch power applied. Garmin support told me that this will be fixed in a future software release.

We have seen this two or three times in the 15-16 months we have had dual G5’s. It is as if the bottom one just doesn’t get the calendar invite to fly. Holding the power button resolves the issue and it is very infrequent.

I have been told that if you will manually power down the HSI instead of letting it power down on it's own, it won't act up like that....??? Supposedly, there is an update in the works to fix the bug, but until then, if it acts up, like others have said, hold the power button for about 10 seconds and it will power up.

I have been using dual set up for about an yeah now. This issue have happened may be 3 times, almost always when you turn the master on and off in very short order. Holding down for 10 seconds works every time. I do not have the latest update. Running 5.3 I think

I've been running the dual setup for a bit now and haven't had this issue ever (knock on wood).

I've seen this happen on mine when the unit has been powered on, off, on and back off in a short time.

Just had it happen in my Dakota -- 2 G5's and GFC-500 - all new as of 10/2019
HSI failed to power up -- will try the 10 sec power button hold and see if this now works

I've had it happen, in both the single and now dual G5 install. It's probably happened to me four or five times in a couple hundred flight hours.
Not that big of a deal, happens on start up, just hold down the power button and it boots up. I know there is a new software update out now, maybe that'll fix it?

they were supposed to fix it with a s/w update but none of their charge documentation calls it out

Happened to mine the first time a week ago. Running v6.40. After a short shutdown to take on fuel, the AI dis not come on after powerup to taxi to the hangar. The 10 second power button press resolved it.

I also have a mysterious backup battery drain of about 20% per week with the master off and the units powered down. Intermittently. That one makes no sense to me.

Thats BS if i ever heard it. Not the technique, but having to do so on Brand... New.... Gear. I'd be raising hell till it was solved. Emails followed by phone calls so it is documented and "In warranty" is not questioned.
Hey, you have to periodically power cycle the 787 to get it to work, maybe Garmin is taking cues from Boeing.

Just press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds and it will power up.

BINGO !! that worked -- to think the unit has latest software and new too !!
Thanks to all !!

I've had a thing where recently the G5 HSI doesn't automatically power down all the way. It's on the avionics master bus, but the AI is on the master bus. When I turn off avionics power, the HSI starts counting down to an automatic shut down. But then, sometime around when I turn the master off, it stops counting down and just stays on until I power it down manually. If I don't, it'll run the battery down all the way I guess.

Weird thing is that it didn't used to do this, and AFAIK nothing has changed WRT the software, install, etc.

With a dual G5 setup I experienced the same issue with the AI. It appears to have happened when I didn't give it the opportunity to fully boot up before turning power off (master switch on to check fuel level, and then back off too quickly for the G5 to completely finish the start up cycle). Next time it wouldn't power on. The hold for 10 seconds technique worked, and I haven't seen the problem since then.

BTW, v. 6.72 is current for the G5s, as of July 10. There have been quite a few updates issued in the last 3-4 months.

didnt encounter this issue for like 2 years now.

Back