Obama's Alaska visit

SkyDog58

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Canis Non Grata
Looks like Obama is visiting Alaska at a very inconvenient time for local operators and will cause major disruptions. Perhaps it is time to petition the FAA to change their VIP TFR policies? Is there really a need for these burdensome restrictions?

Alaska Dispatch News Article

Apparently yes.

While I do not agree with our current white house resident, I will agree that we need to keep our leaders safe.

And yes it will be inconvenient here.

But my summer is just about over.

No matter who the Potus ,they have to be protected. 30 miles does seem to be a bit much. The current Potus could use some discretion on where he visits,especially if it impacts people lives and business. Doesn't seem to be a good reason to travel to Alaska during the main hunting season.

The FAA has no control over the VIP TFR and the rules that limit (ground) aircraft. You need to talk to the Dept of Homeland Security (DHS).

Looks like Obama is visiting Alaska at a very inconvenient time for local operators and will cause major disruptions. Perhaps it is time to petition the FAA to change their VIP TFR policies? Is there really a need for these burdensome restrictions?

You misunderstand. The thing about security theater is it has to be obvious and obtrusive. Otherwise no one notices and the theater doesn't work. If your work isn't obvious, no one notices, your fiefdom shrinks, your budget gets cut...

They have golf courses still open up there this time of year??:dunno::dunno::redface:

Limitations aren't specified yet. He won't be in Anchorage for very long before he heads to Seward and Kotzebue. 3 days in Alaska total. The TFR won't be too difficult to deal with. Since he'll land at a secure military installation that's already off limits I don't get what the reasoning is for any TFR. He'll be surrounded by a pretty well equipped fighting force as it is.

You don't make any one safe by advertising where they are. and that is exactly what a TFR does, a big bull's eye.

He'd be safer by dressing him in cargo shorts, and a hoody, and sending him by bus. You'd never tell which rider he was.

Last edited:
How many times in the past has the security of the U.S. been compromised when a president has been killed in office?

ZZZZEEEEE ROW

Better question, how much money have we spent to protect the prez. when there are 309 million who could replace him.

Last edited:
How many times in the past has the security of the U.S. been compromised when a president has been killed in office?

There is an open question whether the Vietnam war would have happened if Kennedy wasn't shot.

But that's probably less important in the planning scheme of things these days than the hit that Wall Street would take if a sitting president is assassinated.

Even as little as a 100 point hit on the Dow will pay for centuries of secret service protection... Unfortunately it's not just $DJIA holders who pay for it.

TFR's don't stop traffic cold. That's what I've never understood about them. With clearance, you can fly in.

So if someone smart enough with nefarious reasons wanted in, they'd get in.

I just don't see the deterrent.

I agree that we need to protect POTUS no matter who he/she is but when has any POTUS been threatened air-to-air? VIP TFRs are completely unnecessary and deter nothing. About the only way POTUS would be at risk while flying on AF1 is if someone had a Stinger type of weapon. Even then the onboard countermeasures would hopefully prevent a hit.

I do not want to see any POTUS killed regardless whether or not I support his policies. Yet, I do not believe in going to extremes and using any means necessary to protect him. We just need to use reasonable methods. No POTUS has ever been the only person alive at the time that could have led us through whatever crisis or situation we were facing. They like any of us are easily replaceable and we do have a succession order in place to ensure the continuity of the government.

There is an open question whether the Vietnam war would have happened if Kennedy wasn't shot.

Actually, the SS didn't want him in a convertible but were overruled. Notice you haven't seen a POTUS in one since.

Still, that's a way different deal than a 30nm TFR. No one has ever tried to assassinate a POTUS from an airplane. Even if they did, diving in a spam can will attract some notice. Stupid, stupid stupid, and paid for with your tax dollars. I was always worried he'd wind up in Chicago the week of Oshkosh.

Drones people think of the drones that could take out AF1. Scary thought indeed

Actually, the SS didn't want him in a convertible but were overruled. Notice you haven't seen a POTUS in one since.

Still, that's a way different deal than a 30nm TFR. No one has ever tried to assassinate a POTUS from an airplane. Even if they did, diving in a spam can will attract some notice. Stupid, stupid stupid, and paid for with your tax dollars. I was always worried he'd wind up in Chicago the week of Oshkosh.

Frank Corder may have. No one really knows his motivations, but he failed spectacularly.

You misunderstand. The thing about security theater is it has to be obvious and obtrusive. Otherwise no one notices and the theater doesn't work.

A VIP TFR is probably noticed by less than 0.05% of the US population. How is that "obvious and obtrusive"?

Maybe he can visit the Polar Bears? They are very tame, and timid creatures. He could probably poke one with a stick, and nothing would happen.

A VIP TFR is probably noticed by less than 0.05% of the US population. How is that "obvious and obtrusive"?

The majority of the population don't fly, but they do read all the articles about the president's traveling no-fly zone and the evil doers who violate it and must be intercepted by fighters.

I would imagine obama is about as opposite from the average Alaskan as you can get, why is he even bothering to go up there?

I would imagine obama is about as opposite from the average Alaskan as you can get, why is he even bothering to go up there?

Because although he has been to 57 of the states, he hasn't been to Alaska. He wants to be able to check off number 58.

7 more states and he completes his map. :idea:

By virtue of setting foot in AK he will become expert on ANWR.

Last edited:

His stated reason is to kick off a new discussion of climate change.

I think he's just trying to rack up more frequent flyer miles for when he retires...

Limitations aren't specified yet. He won't be in Anchorage for very long before he heads to Seward and Kotzebue. 3 days in Alaska total. The TFR won't be too difficult to deal with. Since he'll land at a secure military installation that's already off limits I don't get what the reasoning is for any TFR. He'll be surrounded by a pretty well equipped fighting force as it is.

It's the flight time of a flying inbound threat that governs the 30nm circle of protection to 18,000 ft MSL. Got to give the AF fighters a chance to run an intercept.

It's the flight time of a flying inbound threat that governs the 30nm circle of protection to 18,000 ft MSL. Got to give the AF fighters a chance to run an intercept.

Not nearly enough time for fighters. It's to give SS time to get the president off the X.

7 more states and he completes his map. :idea:

By virtue of setting foot in AK he will become expert on ANWR.

He wants to be able to keep an eye on Russia for when Putin rears his head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back