Obama care website is finaly working.

It would seem apparent from his discussion that he is talking about those poor who don't qualify for Medicaid. I'm not sure what that income group has to do with this discussion.

I think that is likely part of the disconnect from reality.

The "omg!!!! Millions are losing insurance" is not really poor people that are now forced to buy crappy bronze policies as he states.

medicaid is soup.

soup without meat.

also without vegetables.

but it is soup...

it is also very expensive soup (because the states cook it using a recipe provided by the feds. And if you think the feds suck at running stuff, you haven't encountered the chimps the states hire to run their medicaid programs)

What is VA Medical?

Did you miss the fact that the person on the phone has to go through the website to get you the information you need?

They really don't....

But, the website will be the preferred portal, when it gets fixed. Luckily, there is still time, so no urgency.

What exactly is your question? I have extensive experience in the VA medical system.

I was just wondering if it was a Federal Program?

If it had Chimps running it?

If it was "insurance"?

And if it is soup without meat or vegetables?

Last edited:
More Schadenfreude. I just can't help it.

San Francisco architect Lee Hammack says he and his wife, JoEllen Brothers, are “cradle Democrats.” They have donated to the liberal group Organizing for America and worked the phone banks a year ago for President Obama’s re-election.

“We’ve both been in very good health all of our lives – exercise, don’t smoke, drink lightly, healthy weight, no health issues, and so on,” Hammack told me.
The couple — Lee, 60, and JoEllen, 59 — have been paying $550 a month for their health coverage — a plan that offers solid coverage, not one of the skimpy plans Obama has criticized. But recently, Kaiser informed them the plan would be canceled at the end of the year because it did not meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act. The couple would need to find another one. The cost would be around double what they pay now, but the benefits would be worse http://www.propublica.org/article/loyal-obama-supporters-canceled-by-obamacare

To all those here who have told us their rates and deductibles are stable: Just wait.

There is always "more to the story".....

I called Kaiser Permanente and spoke to spokesman Chris Stenrud, who used to work for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. He told me that this was indeed a good plan. Patients in the plan, known as 40/4000, were remarkably healthy, had low medical costs and had not seen their premiums increase in years. “Our actuaries still aren’t entirely sure why that was,” he said.

Sounds like a programming error at Kaiser..... Fat Finger Discount for the Win!!!

Did you miss the "100% subsidized" part? :rolleyes2:

Wouldn't that be medicaid?

Or are you thinking some sort of Paul Ryan plan with coupons and vouchers where Grandma has to go find some insurance company that will take her coupon each month?

Once it gets fixed, there is still the problem of convincing David White and his generation to sign up in large enough numbers to subsidize the rest of us.

I was just wondering if it was a Federal Program?

If it had Chimps running it?

If it was "insurance"?

And if it is soup without meat or vegetables?
I don't know if you are just being a smartass but it is obviously managed by the federal government. I don't understand the questions about Chimps or insurance.

I quit reading the Washington Times after I found out Rand Paul's opinion pieces are cut and paste plagiarisms....

That's one way to conduct your life...

...over time, however, I have learned that, just because I don't care for the source of information, doesn't mean it lacks substance.

--

I appreciate Rich's thoughtful and well-stated ideas.

Always amazes me that in a free country, the gooberment thinks it can provide better products than the private sector. Was there any credible effort by the current administration to try to fix the perceived problem with as little interference to the part that was working as possible? If so, please point it out. For millions for which it worked, they are now forced into gooberment choices. That's simply not what this country is about. This affects up to 20% of the private sector. When a private provider isn't competitive: I can leave. Here, I get fined if I don't like it.

And let's see how they went about it:
People with vast experience in the field were put in charge---uh, no.
We have choices, but if we chose not to participate, we are fined.
Ten million or more uninsured will be added to the roles, but no new doctors; and the fee paid to doctors will be lowered--I guess they'll lose money on each patient now and make it up in volume.
And, If I want to pay extra for something I want or if I wish to tip my doctor; that's not allowed.
16,000 IRS agents will be hired to administer this: the folks who conducted themselves so honorably in denying Tea Party tax free corp applications and whom we all otherwise love and trust.
Written by a committee chairman that said he didn't fully understand it.
Passed by Congress critters that said they didn't have time to read it before a final vote which was expedited before a newly elected Rep could vote.
Congress exempted itself from the disaster.
We will be taxed for four years before the benefits begin in full.
Did one Republican vote for it? Weren't all possible amendments/riders turned down by Dems including one addressing keeping current policies?

And records privacy wasn't a priority.
HHS secretary testifies today before Congress, no background checks were conducted on Obama Care navigators; they could be convicted felons, but that's not important.

What could possibly go wrong.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
There is always "more to the story".....

Sounds like a programming error at Kaiser..... Fat Finger Discount for the Win!!!
It appears that you are jumping to conclusions. I guess if the facts don't support your distorted world view then ignore them.

Rich, you are brilliant, and I couldn't agree more. I hope you don't mind if I take the liberty to share your ideas (with appropriate attribution) with my Facebook friends. These are serious issues that need serious discussion, something is NOT happening currently.

Sure, with or without attribution. And thank you.

-Rich

Will medical providers will start charging deductibles up-front, instead of billing later?

You can also put your fingers in your ears and go "La, la, la, la...."

Or just read the original source material prior to Mr. Paul's copy and paste plagiarizing.

Uhhhhhh.....Ohhhhhhh..... Looks like the Washington Times fired Mr. Paul....

The Washington Times announced later Tuesday that the newspaper and Paul had "mutually agreed" to end his weekly column.

Last edited:
We can assume Jose has quit reading the NY Times as well, then, if plagiarism disturbs him so.

Unfortunately, we the people are left to find our facts, sans spin, where we can. The truth almost always resides in a mix of inputs, combined with observing what is going on in the world with clear eyes, as free of ideology as possible.

Unfortunately, ideologues are often in charge, not only of our country's laws and coffers, but of the media. And ideologues are almost always immune to feedback.

Ideologues of all political ilk tend to use the scattershot method of interaction ... isolated incidents, non sequiturs, ignoring the big picture in favor of a skewed sort of rabid attachment to an idea or a person who represents that idea, regardless of what actually is playing out in front of them.

Ideologues consistently avoid addressing the larger issues, like personal freedom, system sustainability, linking life choices to consequences, thinking a problem through creatively, and constructing systems of government that serve most, best, or that get government out of issues entirely when it makes sense to do so.

It stuns me beyond belief to see ACA expecting young, healthy folk to pony up in the years when they're trying to get their careers going, raise families and buy homes. All while the government racks up more debt for them and their children and grandchildren, ad infinitum, to pay off. And to launch this one-party-voted-in bill in our enfeebled economy ... idiotic.

I don't talk with ideologues anymore beyond polite hellos and trivial topics, because they glaze over when you use words like sustainability and competence. If the ideologue is liberal, he/she will pepper you with little digs about George Bush, under their erroneous assumption that if you believe competence and sustainability are important, and you don't think our current administration is competent, you must have approved of everything George Bush did, and, from that, that you approve of everything the Tea Party does. Crazy leaps, designed, I guess, to shut down any real discussion and protect the ideologue from really having to think about the flimsy façade of an unworkable idea he is trying to hold up as something to admire and to govern a nation by.

I spend my effortful conversation time these days with those who can engage in dialogue and talk without leaping to assumptions based on perceptions of one another's political leanings.

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that read "Where was the Tea Party when Bush was overspending?" Does that mean the car owner approves of the Tea Party and hopes they'll stop Obama's overspending? The back and forths and fingerpointing and ping-pong insults based on party and perceptions do no one any good, and keep our attention off solutions.

Unfortunately, I have a sick and sinking feeling that truly competent people, who could lead effectively, avoid public office. And that if such a person did arise, and seek office, their signal would be drowned out by the screech and static of ideologues.

From the FAQ on Catastrophic plans...

Note: Catastrophic plans – which have very high deductibles and essentially provide protection from worst-case scenarios, like a serious accident or extended illness -- are available to people under 30 years old and to people who have hardship exemptions from the fee that most people without health coverage must pay. Learn more about catastrophic plans.

https://www.healthcare.gov/how-do-i-choose-marketplace-insurance/

Just went to Helathcare.gov and tried to browse plans... Which, kicked me to my State's website to try and browse plans...... Which gave me a list of insurance companies and links that sell approved plans.

I picked Blue Cross and found the rate cards....

A Bronze Plan for me (48 years old, non-smoker) is $226-249 per month.

A Silver Plan for me is $278-346, including a non-deductible for $319

A Gold Plan for me is $323-357

and Platinum is $403

My 21 year old kid would range from $136 to $246

The "devil is in the details", and would have to figure out deductibles, copays, etc.... But, at first glance, they seem reasonable.

As an added point, for a 64 year old (the most expensive) the range is from $415 (Bronze) to $740 (Platinum).

Dental rates would be from $35 to $42 per month.

Just went to Helathcare.gov and tried to browse plans... Which, kicked me to my State's website to try and browse plans...... Which gave me a list of insurance companies and links that sell approved plans.

I picked Blue Cross and found the rate cards....

A Bronze Plan for me (48 years old, non-smoker) is $226-249 per month.

A Silver Plan for me is $278-346, including a non-deductible for $319

A Gold Plan for me is $323-357

and Platinum is $403

My 21 year old kid would range from $136 to $246

The "devil is in the details", and would have to figure out deductibles, copays, etc.... But, at first glance, they seem reasonable.

As an added point, for a 64 year old (the most expensive) the range is from $415 (Bronze) to $740 (Platinum).

Dental rates would be from $35 to $42 per month.

Wow, what state do you live in? The lowest cost for me, same category as you, is $379 with a $13,7xx deductible. To get to a deductible below $2000 I was at $592 a month and still had a 30% copay. That's Florida.

Wow, what state do you live in? The lowest cost for me, same category as you, is $379 with a $13,7xx deductible. To get to a deductible below $2000 I was at $592 a month and still had a 30% copay. That's Florida.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could buy insurance across state lines....

Here is the rate card:
http://shoppers.bcidaho.com/resources/pdfs/healthcare-reform/rates/HCR-Rates-Medical-Area-5-6.pdf

The Silver Plan with no deductible is Silver Choice for $346.

It has no deductible, you pay 50% of your care up to the out of pocket max of $6350.

Contrast that with the Silver Plan with $4000 deductible for $303.

It has $10 co-payments for 5 office visits a year, then you pay everything until your deductible, then 30%... (I think.... Usually about this point in trying to figure out insurance plans, I give up and call my agent.)

Wouldn't it be nice if you could buy insurance across state lines....

Doesn't seem to have anything to do with what state you buy insurance from, seems like it is more related to what county/city you consume medical care. My rates are specific to the local zip codes. Other zip codes in the same state have different rate cards.

I don't know where else to ask this, but what kind of situation would y'all say a man should be in before he just goes self insured?

If it's going to cost thousands per year for a plan with a big deductible, and very limited payouts, I might want to take my chances.

Is that an option? Can one qualify for self insured?

I don't know where else to ask this, but what kind of situation would y'all say a man should be in before he just goes self insured?

If it's going to cost thousands per year for a plan with a big deductible, and very limited payouts, I might want to take my chances.

Well, it's the law now.

Not anymore. You could have a net worth of 10 mil and one mil in a bank account just for your medical care, you still got to buy your goverment approved broccoli or pay 1-2.5% of your income as tax for being such a burden to society.

Not anymore. You could have a net worth of 10 mil and one mil in a bank account just for your medical care, you still got to buy your goverment approved broccoli or pay 1-2.5% of your income as tax for being such a burden to society.

Assume the usual position and expect no Vaseline. :frown2:

Assume the usual position and expect no Vaseline. :frown2:

Then again, if you are in a financial position to finance your own healthcare, the $500/month for your 'bronze' plan is not going to break the bank either.

We have the occasional patient who just pays cash. Mostly contractors who are used to pay for goods and services. I dont mind, saves me a lot of work on the billing side if no insurance company is involved.

Then again, if you are in a financial position to finance your own healthcare, the $500/month for your 'bronze' plan is not going to break the bank either.

True.

But the problem with that approach should be obvious to even the casual reader.

True.

But the problem with that approach should be obvious to even the casual reader.

It is certainly obvious to me.

Otoh, rich folks and insurance are funny. My wife saw a guy who is in the fortunate situation to give his money away 10 to 50mil at a time, yet he had medicare and a AARP secondary for his health insurance.

President of the Texas Medical Association interview. I know it's Fox, but he makes good points. In many counties, limited choices at hospitals. Only one or two policies accepted. Notice, he says Medicare is below break even for him and he doesn't charge for it. Cheaper to do for free. Notice he says he doesn't know what to tell patients, etc.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2813185414001/why-top-hospitals-are-opting-out-of-obamacare/

E-mail from my state rep this morning after the President's visit to Texas. 36 States now have rejected exchanges. We don't seem to here much in the media about only just over 1/4 of States participating.

Yet, the drum beat goes on about how wonderful it is.

I'm in a position to take care of my own medical needs; yet, am forced to participate. For me it's different because I'm over 65, but if I don't enroll in Medicare, I can't draw the Social Security I've paid into since I was age 16. If I enroll in Medicare, I go through annual income verification--they look at my tax return which is none of their business--each year after looking, they astutely advise me I'm not entitle to any subsidy. And, I'm bound by all Medicare rules. I can't pay my doctor anything extra, etc.
They are infuriating a lot of folks that are independent and don't like being told what to do when they don't want or need the "help" of big gooberment.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
Would'nt it have been cheaper and less disruptive to leave the people that have/had insurance alone to their choices, then instead of hiring 12,000 or so new Fed. employees to run this new system ,hire X amount of doctors to take care of those who can't pay or don't or won't work.
They could have their healthcare provider on auto-speed dial on their Obama phone.
Maybe the Congress and Prez could use the same new system.
If they did'nt have enough doctors here to be hired on, we just import some from whatever 3rd world country, they could live in our slums( to keep the cost down and closer to their patients) which are far better than where they came from.
Sounds like a win /win to me.
Everybody is happy
People who want choice in a supposedly free country choose their healthcare.
People that have no healthcare are now with coverage equal to what the prez and congress have and we help 3rd world Doctors up their lifestyle.
I know a simplistic approach, but will probably work better than what's coming.

Once it gets fixed, there is still the problem of convincing David White and his generation to sign up in large enough numbers to subsidize the rest of us.

That won't be an issue, they'll be getting the money either way. Remember the fine goes up to 2.5% of income in 2016

That won't be an issue, they'll be getting the money either way. Remember the fine goes up to 2.5% of income in 2016

Cash and barter will be more common, people will get more creative on reporting.

Back