OAT Gauge

AlecT

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Alect
Considering adding an OAT gauge to a Grumman AA-1. Currently equipped with a Garmin G5 AI and GTX 327 transponder. Seems like an arm and a leg for an install to link OAT to either device, and a decent amount of labor cost for a dash-mount digital gauge. Are the old school, Scott-style meat thermometer gauges all that bad? The price point is appealing, however I'd like accuracy to still be a priority. The only one I can find on Spruce isn't certified, but still has good reviews. Thanks in advance!

Are the old school, Scott-style meat thermometer gauges all that bad? The price point is appealing, however I'd like accuracy to still be a priority.
Considering there are 1000s of 2716A type OAT indicators in service, to include those used on turbine aircraft for engine power check temp data, they usually work pretty good. However, if you want documented accuracy and better readability then a digital OAT from Davtron or Electronics International or something similar is the route to take.
The only one I can find on Spruce isn't certified
FYI: How Aircraft Spruce labels parts doesn’t determine if an item can be installed on a TC’d aircraft. You and your mechanic make that determination and whether the install is a major or minor alteration. Regardless, in my experience, you’d be hard pressed to find any 2716A indicators with “approval” markings.

Considering adding an OAT gauge to a Grumman AA-1. Currently equipped with a Garmin G5 AI and GTX 327 transponder. Seems like an arm and a leg for an install to link OAT to either device, and a decent amount of labor cost for a dash-mount digital gauge. Are the old school, Scott-style meat thermometer gauges all that bad? The price point is appealing, however I'd like accuracy to still be a priority. The only one I can find on Spruce isn't certified, but still has good reviews. Thanks in advance!

Get a GAD13 for the G5 (with the Davtron probe, not the Garmin one) and don't look back.

Considering there are 1000s of 2716A type OAT indicators in service, to include those used on turbine aircraft for engine power check temp data, they usually work pretty good. However, if you want documented accuracy and better readability then a digital OAT from Davtron or Electronics International or something similar is the route to take.

FYI: How Aircraft Spruce labels parts doesn’t determine if an item can be installed on a TC’d aircraft. You and your mechanic make that determination and whether the install is a major or minor alteration. Regardless, in my experience, you’d be hard pressed to find any 2716A indicators with “approval” markings.
I am now flying with an "experimental" radio, the Garmin GTR-200, that I installed in my Cessna 150. Hurray, it can be done and my IA signed off. He decided to send in a 337, not that I thought it was necessary or correct to do, but just because that's how he wanted to do it. For $100, I wasn't going to complain and whatever he wanted to do as long as he signed off, was fine with me. I even re-weighed the plane and got two different W&B in the plane now with my rear child seat installed vs. removed.

If you get the Garmin integrated OAT, its my understanding that you will get a wind vector on the G5, which is pretty sweet.

Edit: on further thought, you probably also need the GMU-11 magnetic reference box in addition to the OAT probe, so unless you have that already installed its likely not worth it for you.

Last edited:
If you get the Garmin integrated OAT, its my understanding that you will get a wind vector on the G5, which is pretty sweet.

Edit: on further thought, you probably also need the GMU-11 magnetic reference box in addition to the OAT probe, so unless you have that already installed its likely not worth it for you.

I have the OAT and GMU-11, and can report that you do get a wind vector, which is very nice (despite EdFred's protestations), as well as a DA indication on the ground.

I have a AA5B. When I bought it the windshield was cracked because someone obviously thought the meat thermomitor sticking out of the windshield would make a great handhold. I installed a new windshield. Its the worst job on a grumman and its very pricey. So I decided that the termomitor was not going back it the windshield. I found that the garmin 335 transponder will accept input from an OAT probe which will also use it to give density altitude I know you have a 327 transponder but it might be worth looking into it to see if it has any capabilities like that.

Back