O2 cyl fill - Dallas area

ssonixx

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ssonixx
I am planning a cross-country flight next month headed west and thought I'd take some oxygen along for the ride. I may have gotten a bit ahead of myself though as I went ahead and bought a 9 cu medical cyl with a "CGA-870" valve.

I am learning through this process though that there are several types of valves, the most common one is the CGA-540 which as I understand is most widely adopted and generally used in most industrial gas applications like welding and such. The CGA-870 valve, on the other hand, is a "newer" (relatively speaking) valve and is most closely associated with medical use oxygen cylinder applications.

Currently, I can fill with the FBO and they charge an arm and a leg for O2.

My preference is to find another source (welding, dive shops, fire house, medical supply, etc.) that will fill my 870-valved cylinder. Benefit is cost is roughly 15%-20% that of filling it through the FBOs.

The problem I run into is that 1) if it is a welding supply company, they don't have the equipment to interface to an 870 valve or 2) if it is a medical company, I apparently need a prescription (as they consider this a medical cylinder), or some first aid use emergency certification.

I called up my AME's office and asked how I should go about getting a prescription for oxygen so I could have my oxy bottles filled from a medical supplier. I didn't get a chance to talk to the AME directly, but the nurse responded that they have never had this request before in the last 20 years they have been working with pilots. :nono::nono: Apparently, she suggests I schedule an appointment with my AME for appropriate testing to verify the need for oxygen in order for the doctor to prescribe as requested. :confused:

I have called up just about anyone in the Dallas area that I can Google and I'm about out of options. If anyone has any ideas or thoughts here, I'd welcome the input.

Thank you!

Airgas 1420 Riverside Dr, Fort Worth, TX 76111

A few miles south of Meacham, or a few miles north of Spinks or Sycamore. Should have no problem with your 870 valve.

Trade your tank for Aviator gas with the proper regulator. You can But you shouldn't use welding/ industrial gas.

Even though it is the exact same gas. In fact the local welding shop here sells medical and welding. They are filled from the same bulk tank.

Even though it is the exact same gas. In fact the local welding shop here sells medical and welding. They are filled from the same bulk tank.

Was told the same for the companies out here as well. Same bulk source, different procedures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

This may just work. Will give it a shot.

It may, or the place may refuse to use your adapter. If I were running the shop there's no way I would use an adapter you bring in to fill an 02 tank unless you were a real big customer, and I could test it.

OH, and you have to be an authorized FDA purchaser, or know someone who is to get it. Prolly not a big deal.

Sent from my brain, using my fingers.

Last edited:
In most companies, the oxygen to fill Industrial (welding tanks), Medical and Aviator oxygen tanks are from the same bulk tanks.
But Medical and Aviator tanks are tested for moisture and contaminants every time they are refilled. Industrial tanks are not. This is because moisture at altitude can be fatal. Please don't use welding gas. And since in most states you have to be licensed by the pharmacy board to buy bulk oxygen, or have a prescription from a doctor, Aviator gas is the gas you should buy.

In addition to being tested every charge, Aviator Oxygen tanks are filled differently (inverted) in order to better purge any moisture that may be present.

For the OP, if you ordered tanks with the wrong adapter or regulator, and haven't used them, many reputable distributors will swap them out, although they may charge a small fee and/or delivery charge.

In most companies, the oxygen to fill Industrial (welding tanks), Medical and Aviator oxygen tanks are from the same bulk tanks.
But Medical and Aviator tanks are tested for moisture and contaminants every time they are refilled. Industrial tanks are not. This is because moisture at altitude can be fatal. Please don't use welding gas. And since in most states you have to be licensed by the pharmacy board to buy bulk oxygen, or have a prescription from a doctor, Aviator gas is the gas you should buy.

In addition to being tested every charge, Aviator Oxygen tanks are filled differently (inverted) in order to better purge any moisture that may be present.

For the OP, if you ordered tanks with the wrong adapter or regulator, and haven't used them, many reputable distributors will swap them out, although they may charge a small fee and/or delivery charge.

I respectfully disagree.....

Breathing a little moisture up at altitude is not a issue at ALL. Infact if you get a bit, it helps in keeping your lungs and nasal passage working better... Now.... A little moisture during a critical weld will ruin your day,,, and the weld too...:yes:..

I can assure you .. ALL O2, no matter if it is in an industrial tank, or a Aviators tank or a Medical tank is all the same.... Period... IMHO

I respectfully disagree.....

Breathing a little moisture up at altitude is not a issue at ALL. Infact if you get a bit, it helps in keeping your lungs and nasal passage working better... Now.... A little moisture during a critical weld will ruin your day,,, and the weld too...:yes:..

I can assure you .. ALL O2, no matter if it is in an industrial tank, or a Aviators tank or a Medical tank is all the same.... Period... IMHO
I concur.
For part 91 operators, industrial grade oxygen is allowed.

The only problem I can see with a slight amount of moisture is if the cylinder is kept in a part of the airframe susceptible to potential freezing of the moisture obstructing oxygen flow.

In addition to what Ben said welding/cutting oxygen has the most stringent specs for moisture and other contaminants. If it passes for welding, then medical and aviators is a non issue.
If you use a lot of oxygen you can rent a bottle from a welding supply and fill you own. However, to do it right you will need 3 bottles and pipe up a cascade system in order to get your bottle close to full. Perhaps two or three pilots can go in together. A bottle of oxygen is only about $20. If just once a year or so then just get to know your local welding supply person.

Airgas 1420 Riverside Dr, Fort Worth, TX 76111

A few miles south of Meacham, or a few miles north of Spinks or Sycamore. Should have no problem with your 870 valve.

Appreciate the info. It is a bit too far for me to drive to fill a small cyl. I'd probably spend more on fuel going back and forth than save on filling through the FBO.

I tired several dive shops in Plano and no one was interested. Neither were the welding/industrial gas shops around Love field. Finally found a firend of a friend who had O2 tanks in his hanger and he gave me a free fill.

I thought the OWT of 'different' O2 was put to rest years ago. John Deakin wrote about the commonality back in 1999.

Cal

I tired several dive shops in Plano and no one was interested. Neither were the welding/industrial gas shops around Love field. Finally found a firend of a friend who had O2 tanks in his hanger and he gave me a free fill.

I thought the OWT of 'different' O2 was put to rest years ago. John Deakin wrote about the commonality back in 1999.

Cal

Okay. Who is the friend and does he need more friends? Happy to contribute to his beer fund too.

Cal

First post..... Welcome to POA...:cheers:

Thank you Ben. I have heard about POA for years and found the recent discussions on Android alternatives to the Ipad helpful.

Cal

Morning GK, sending you an email re Dallas O2.

Cal

Well, I found a location in Arlington that was willing to help aviators in need doing a direct fill to a 540 OR 870 valve. A bit longer of a drive than I would have wanted but they were able to help.

If you are in the same predicament, PM and I'm happy to share.

Best.

Back