O-470 Break in

idahoflier

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
idahoflier
About how many hours does it take to break in an O-470? I belong to a club that has a C182 with a fresh overhaul and so far it has about 28 hours on the break in. Shouldn't it be broken in by now?

About how many hours does it take to break in an O-470? I belong to a club that has a C182 with a fresh overhaul and so far it has about 28 hours on the break in. Shouldn't it be broken in by now?

Are you monitoring the oil consumption? Break in is usually identified by a noticeable decrease in oil consumption. -Skip

It was likely broke in 20 or so hours ago.

Who did the overhaul? Was it run in on a test stand at that time?

What’s the manufacturer say? Typically the break-in should be completed by 25 hours or so if it’s done correctly and the rings should seat within the first 10-15 hours. As Skip mentioned, the oil consumption should considerably decrease, once this occurs. This is atleast the case for the smaller engines that we have, but the same rules should still apply.

Are you monitoring the oil consumption? Break in is usually identified by a noticeable decrease in oil consumption. -Skip

I'm not involved with it, so IDK what the oil consumption is.

It was likely broke in 20 or so hours ago.

Who did the overhaul? Was it run in on a test stand at that time?

My understanding is the overhaul was performed by Van Bortel. IDK what their overhaul procedures are.

What’s the manufacturer say? Typically the break-in should be completed by 25 hours or so if it’s done correctly and the rings should seat within the first 10-15 hours. As Skip mentioned, the oil consumption should considerably decrease, once this occurs. This is atleast the case for the smaller engines that we have, but the same rules should still apply.

Per continental it sounds like the break in should occur between 10 - 15 hrs. I know the engine is no longer on mineral oil. Seems like the break in should be complete by now...

I've got about 30 hrs on a new O-470, and I'd say it's broken in. I've added one quart of oil in that timeframe. It's burned about a half quart. Still using straight mineral oil per my mechanic's instructions till the first oil change at 50 hrs. I know the engine was run on a test stand. Seems like it was broken in since day one given there have been no major changes in CHT's, oil burn, etc.....all been very consistent. I am still following break in recommendations of changing power settings every 30-45 minutes cycling between 65-75%.

Well...that regimen won’t hurt anything. But, it’s probably mostly broken in.

With the new era cylinder honing techniques the rings will be seated by the time you reach pattern altitude, and it won't burn a qt. in 25 hours.

Lots of old wives tales about engine break in, the stories never change, but the materials and methods did.

Per continental it sounds like the break in should occur between 10 - 15 hrs. I know the engine is no longer on mineral oil. Seems like the break in should be complete by now...
10-15 hours is about standard. We’ve been able to get ours broken in, within about 20 hours or so. The biggest thing with the break-in, is that the engine must be cool to the touch before flying again, which is something that is easy to overlook and can lengthen the break-in time.

I've got about 30 hrs on a new O-470, and I'd say it's broken in. I've added one quart of oil in that timeframe. It's burned about a half quart. Still using straight mineral oil per my mechanic's instructions till the first oil change at 50 hrs. I know the engine was run on a test stand. Seems like it was broken in since day one given there have been no major changes in CHT's, oil burn, etc.....all been very consistent. I am still following break in recommendations of changing power settings every 30-45 minutes cycling between 65-75%.

First oil change at 50 hours with a newly overhauled engine?

http://www.airpowerinc.com/downloads/PDFs/TCMEngineBreakInFlightTips.pdf

Last edited:
Back