O-200 engine mount coversion

Lawson Laslo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
N2005H
Hello,
I was speaking with the Ercoupe parts supplier about purchasing new mount bushings for my O-200

The C85, 65, 75.... all use the cheap ($5) cone bushing
https://www.wagaero.com/engine-part...ount-bushing-for-a-65-c-85-and-c-90-each.html

although the O-200 uses 8 $40 LORD bushings and possible expensive washers ($15 a piece) and various other hardware...

The guy i spoke with told me there was a kit you could purchase that adapted the o200 to accept the cone mount bushings. I cant find the kit anywhere, does anyone know of this kit and where to purchase?
Thanks

Hello,
I was speaking with the Ercoupe parts supplier about purchasing new mount bushings for my O-200

The C85, 65, 75.... all use the cheap ($5) cone bushing
https://www.wagaero.com/engine-part...ount-bushing-for-a-65-c-85-and-c-90-each.html

although the O-200 uses 8 $40 LORD bushings and possible expensive washers ($15 a piece) and various other hardware...

The guy i spoke with told me there was a kit you could purchase that adapted the o200 to accept the cone mount bushings. I cant find the kit anywhere, does anyone know of this kit and where to purchase?
Thanks
That issue came up over on Homebuiltairplanes.com a while back. You might try a search on that site.

The O-200 mounts are softer and absorb the vibration far better than the cone bushings.

Not certain it is OK to do on a certified plane but...

On my experimental, I used my lathe and turned up some shouldered Aluminum pieces with a a tapered ID to match the inexpensive cone isolators. These pieces were a light press fit into the 0-200 ears. Each mounting ear took two adapters, one pressed in from the front and one pressed in from the rear

If you don't have access to a lathe, these adapters were also available through an E-bay vendor (when I last looked in early 2017). I don't know if they still are.

Note it wasn't about the cost difference in the mounts. I had built my mount and cowling using a C-90 core and found that when I went to the 0-200 and associated mounts it moved the engine enough it wouldn't clear the nose bowl. Be aware of this resulting dimensional change as going from the 0-200 mounts to the cone mounts likely will move the engine back a half inch or so.

Not certain it is OK to do on a certified plane but...
Not permissible on a certified airplane without an STC. That's the beauty of homebuilts. I made stuff for my Jodel on my lathe.

there was a kit you could purchase that adapted the o200 to accept the cone mount bushings
Theres been a guy who fabricates the adapters for a number of years. Will take a 337 to install them but from what I've seen not a big deal. Believe there are a few examples of 337s floating around on various type websites. I think he also sells on ebay. If your really interested I might give a friend a call who has them installed.
without an STC.
FYI: would only need an STC if you wanted to sell them as approved part. Otherwise field approval will work.

Last edited:
Theres been a guy who fabricates the adapters for a number of years. Will take a 337 to install them but from what I've seen not a big deal. Believe there are a few examples of 337s floating around on various type websites. I think he also sells on ebay. If your really interested I might give a friend a call who has them installed.

FYI: would only need an STC if you wanted to sell them as approved part. Otherwise field approval will work.
Another difference between the US and Canada.

Another difference between the US and Canada.
Perhaps a bit of clarification. Given the field approval process can lead to a STC requirement, the deciding factor would be if the alteration was considered to be a "major change to type certificate." If the engine were changed or the entire mount changed then it would probably need an STC as a field approval does not cover a "major change" but the addition of only the adapters doesnt meet that level from what I have seen.

Back