NZ to weigh pax

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Does not affect the US. But let's assume they find the average is much higher than expected.
Then, will the FAA take a look at this?
Personally I'm in favor. Guessing leads to badness, in so many things.
(oh, and the argument that our airliners take off just fine...is not an argument. Not often we are losing engines at V1)

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/zealand-airline-asking-passengers-weigh-052624756.html
Their gonna weight pax?? Like put things like this on them.

812vG2q6TWL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Does not affect the US. But let's assume they find the average is much higher than expected.
(oh, and the argument that our airliners take off just fine...is not an argument. Not often we are losing engines at V1)

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/zealand-airline-asking-passengers-weigh-052624756.html
Not only should we weigh all passengers, there should be a surcharge for the overweight

We do need to update the "standard" weight used per passenger but also the carry on luggage, given the fee per checked bag avoidance a lot of passengers are doing by packing as much as possible into their carry on. I seem to recall a Smithsonian "Air Disaster" episode where the standard weight per checked bag and passenger was outdated and greatly under estimated the weight.

Not only should we weigh all passengers, there should be a surcharge for the overweight

Why not just charge per pound / mile? :)

Hmmmm.... so I need to invent a scale that weighs the cattle...er, I mean passengers as they walk down the jetway. Then the total weight can go straight to the gate agent so the passengers can get charged by average weight of all the folks on the plane, plus the carry ons. Checked baggage rides free. That way XL passengers pay less per pound than XS folks.

Then, for additional profit, sell lavatory tickets. Think you will visit the lavatory twice during the flight, then you will need to purchase 2 lav tickets, in advance. Barf bags, xtra lg, will still be free. But there is a $2.00 surcharge to have the FA carry it away for disposal. Or save the 2 bucks and the passenger can carry the used barf bag off the plane and dispose of it themselves.

And to help the airline save money.... have the passengers push the plane from parking to the hold short line. Think of all the money saved by not using so much fuel.!!

pusedplane.jpg

Dang....I shoulda been a bean counter for an airline...

U.S. airlines use similar methods to determine average weights. It just doesn’t make the news.

Here ya go! "Influencer" LOL

An Influencer Wants 'Extra Free Seats' For Plus-Sized Airline Passengers & It's A Heated Debate
"We simply want enough space to travel."

Atravel blogger and influencer is calling for airlines to provide extra free seats for plus-size passengers, and her petition has quickly divided opinions online.

Jaelynn Chaney claims that plus-size travellers are being discriminated against due to their size, and airlines need to do more to accommodate them at no extra charge. While some agree with her request, many others argue it's unreasonable and unfair to ask for special treatment.
Blah blah blah blah......

Here ya go! "Influencer" LOL

An Influencer Wants 'Extra Free Seats' For Plus-Sized Airline Passengers & It's A Heated Debate
"We simply want enough space to travel."

Sounds like special privileges for some & discrimination of others. Perhaps airlines should sell tickets by "weight & volume" ... :D

Hmmmm.... so I need to invent a scale that weighs the cattle...er, I mean passengers as they walk down the jetway. Then the total weight can go straight to the gate agent so the passengers can get charged by average weight of all the folks on the plane, plus the carry ons. Checked baggage rides free. That way XL passengers pay less per pound than XS folks.

Then, for additional profit, sell lavatory tickets. Think you will visit the lavatory twice during the flight, then you will need to purchase 2 lav tickets, in advance. Barf bags, xtra lg, will still be free. But there is a $2.00 surcharge to have the FA carry it away for disposal. Or save the 2 bucks and the passenger can carry the used barf bag off the plane and dispose of it themselves.

And to help the airline save money.... have the passengers push the plane from parking to the hold short line. Think of all the money saved by not using so much fuel.!!

pusedplane.jpg

to much overhead dealing with lav tickets, just put a credit card reader on the door! could also hook it to a timer, go overtime, need to swipe the card again or the door pops open!

to much overhead dealing with lav tickets, just put a credit card reader on the door! could also hook it to a timer, go overtime, need to swipe the card again or the door pops open!

Now that is the free thinkin' I like to see.!!

pusedplane.jpg

Sure sounds like the Ryanair business model to me.

Nickel and dime customers until they hate you, but leave the base fare low enough they keep coming back regardless.

Joking aside, maybe that is close to a good business model. Use the McDonald's or Walmart model. The pricing isn't ever the lowest, but the quality is so low that people assume it must be the least expensive, and most importantly it's CONSISTENTLY bad, so they just go there.

Don't allow any resale of tickets, make them direct to consumer only. Advertise the crap out of it. Like the sub place where you can see through the two slices of ham. Put the seats even closer together, but give them unlimited shrimp to eat. Maybe charge $500 for each flight, but have the price "adjusted" up or down depending on what the trip is. Or even better, charge them $100 a month for twelve flights a year, provided their is a seat available at the time they want to go. Fly everyone to the same spot first, like FedEx used to do with packages.

I think the airline industry is focused too much on advertised price, and not enough on providing really poor service that people perceive as luxurious. I think they can do better at being worse and promoting it better. Hire a marketing exec from any consumer oriented insurance company.

+1 to this. I often get the enjoyable experience of watching the thousand foot markers tick on by while two VeryLarge people are spilling into both sides of me. Really makes me question the wisdom of all this flex-power takeoff ********. I'd rather the bean-counters not be controlling the throttle given that they do so using a performance model that assumes people are skinny.

I think the realities of the above would result in a lot less airliners flying away on a failure right after V1 than we'd like to think.

Yep, and there should be an “emergency exit sizer” just like there is a carry-on baggage sizer. I’ve seen folks so big lately I’d be shocked if they could fit through the plug door.

edit: also a seat sizer too. If you’re spilling over the armrests you can buy two seats or stay home. Bag in the sizer, climb through the exit hole, sit in the chair. Then you can check-in to board.

If you need a belt extender you have to pay for the wider more expensive seat.

Flight I was on to Jamaica, the average PAX weight was calculated at 201 lbs. (Pilot gave me all the flight paperwork after the flight)

I have always liked the idea of passenger flights charged by total weight. They don't even have to define "overweight" just set a reasonable number for passenger+bags and then charge a bit more per pound for going over, a bit less for going under. I'm overweight and so I'd have to really budget my baggage, but my slender wife could pack a little more for me. I feel like the skinny people on the flight are often subsidizing folks like me. If they could carry a bit more luggage, they'd be getting a better deal. And I'd have yet another reason to drop that un-needed 35 pounds.

Note, the weigh-in consists of 10,000 VOLUNTARY weights. Though anonymous and no one on site will see your number, a voluntary weigh-in has a built in statistical bias toward non-obese passengers. I have had a number of close, obese friends and they were "afraid" of scales. The number they derive from this test will be invalid because of poor experimental design. The weigh-in should be surreptitious, automatic, and with a larger sample set.

The FAA knows their passenger weight numbers are too low. The airlines know they are flying overweight, but $$$ rules so everyone looks the other way.

So simple. A caveman could do it.

After a night of thinkin' this over, swipe the card again and toilet paper pops out...

Note, the weigh-in consists of 10,000 VOLUNTARY weights. Though anonymous and no one on site will see your number, a voluntary weigh-in has a built in statistical bias toward non-obese passengers. I have had a number of close, obese friends and they were "afraid" of scales. The number they derive from this test will be invalid because of poor experimental design. The weigh-in should be surreptitious, automatic, and with a larger sample set.

I am impressed by your sample and bias analysis. Many - most wouldn’t see that.

Like I mentioned, Ryanair has already has a plan for that. And this is not the Onion!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2009/mar/05/ryanair-toilet-charge

Ryanair is serious about charging its passengers to use onboard toilets, its chief executive, Michael O'Leary, said today, adding that it would involve using a credit card rather than a coin slot on the door...

We are serious," he said.

"If you look at it sensibly, it would reduce an awful lot of the unnecessary visits to the toilet that ****es so many passengers off onboard a plane.

"Our average journey time is one hour. Most people would go to the loo before they get on the plane, or they hold it until they land. You would only have to deal with the people who absolutely have to go.

"Frankly, if we think 20% of our passengers in a year would use the facility, if they paid a pound per passenger, it would raise about 15 million quid and would help us to pass on £15m worth of fare savings to the travelling public."

Like I mentioned, Ryanair has already has a plan for that. And this is not the Onion!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2009/mar/05/ryanair-toilet-charge

Ryanair is serious about charging its passengers to use onboard toilets, its chief executive, Michael O'Leary, said today, adding that it would involve using a credit card rather than a coin slot on the door...

We are serious," he said.

"If you look at it sensibly, it would reduce an awful lot of the unnecessary visits to the toilet that ****es so many passengers off onboard a plane.

"Our average journey time is one hour. Most people would go to the loo before they get on the plane, or they hold it until they land. You would only have to deal with the people who absolutely have to go.

"Frankly, if we think 20% of our passengers in a year would use the facility, if they paid a pound per passenger, it would raise about 15 million quid and would help us to pass on £15m worth of fare savings to the travelling public."

Hope they like cleaning up the wet seats after I **** myself out of spite.

How dare you insult McDonald's... I love my Big Macs although the last time I ate I was really surprised at the size of the hamburger and i'm talking about the size of a silver dollar. Subway has gotten expensive too..

People complain about the airlines but I don't know of too many services that have gotten cheaper over time. People get what people want and if you want don't mind paying $1000/seat then don't fly with Spirit.

Back