NYC Hotels

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Anyone have suggestions for NYC hotels that 1, will have vacancies and 2, not cost more than my plane?
going to be in the city Tuesday.

Anyone have suggestions for NYC hotels that 1, will have vacancies and 2, not cost more than my plane?
going to be in the city Tuesday.

www.hotels.com is my suggestion; they usually have good deals, good reviews. Perhaps you can augment that with some personal recommendations from the board members

Late date, may be hard to find something reasonable. Best place to stay is midtown, I like a couple of the higher end hotels, such as the Marriott Marquis & the Algonquin.

Give Hotels.com a shot - you might do well with Priceline, too.

Take a chance with http://www.hotwire.com

We ended up with a 5 star hotel in the Manhattan theater district with $400+ rooms for the hundred seventy bucks range. You won't know what hotel it is until you book, but you can trust the star ratings.

Last edited:
what is your ceiling? The Helmsley Park Lane is right on Central Park, it's a nice hotel but think more 80s fancy - heavy furniture, chandeliers, etc. that's 315 a night right now. It's literally RIGHT on the Park though - walk out your door, BAM, Central Park.

I've stayed at the Roosevelt before, nice hotel - similar in style to the above. That's more midtown.

The Michelangelo is also nice, right in the Theater District and also near Rock Center - out of the Times Square madness though. I paid under 300 last June.

Most often I stay at the Hilton though - Avenue of the Americas, also near Rock Center. I usually pay under 300 but that is corporate rate.

What area do you want to be in? I'd pay extra to be in a central, nice area.

Park Central Hotel is 250 a night on Expedia. I've not stayed there but it's a 3 star. It appears to be at 55th and 7th Avenues - around the corner from the Hilton. That is a good location.

Michelangelo is currently showing 500 a night. Guess I lucked out when I got it for under 300. The Parker Meridien, also VERY fine, is 500 a night. I stayed there for a friend's wedding a few years ago. I think that is near Park Central Hotel. Swanky - modern.

I really don't see spending 300 bucks a night to use a bed. We will be sightseeing all day and just using the room to sleep and shower. I guess I am not looking for anything fancy, but don't want to get mugged outside the building either.....price range 100-150ish ?

Michael: In NYC, it ain't happening.

You gotta start at $200-ish, and that's pushing it.

Are you a member of any private clubs? You might be able to stay at a club with rooms and reciprocal privileges.

oh boy. 100 a night? I wouldn't do it. 150 might be ok though, maybe. NYC is really spendy. look at it like this - if you spend a lot less to stay further out, your taxi fares are going to eat up the difference (not to mention be a PITA) so you may as well be within walking distance.

I've never used priceline or those places though, so maybe 100 a night would get you something nice on them. I don't know enough about all the hotel websites to find something quickly though.

what Spike said. 150 would be marginal and farther out. I've never gotten away with less than 275 a night and that's with corporate rates many times.

oh boy. 100 a night? I wouldn't do it. 150 might be ok though, maybe. NYC is really spendy. look at it like this - if you spend a lot less to stay further out, your taxi fares are going to eat up the difference (not to mention be a PITA) so you may as well be within walking distance.

I've never used priceline or those places though, so maybe 100 a night would get you something nice on them. I don't know enough about all the hotel websites to find something quickly though.

4-star hotel in Times Square - Theatre District $265
This upscale establishment offers thoughtful features, quality rooms and a high level of service. See hotel details

* Boutique Hotel
* Fitness Center
* High-speed Internet Access

Area details: A decade-long cleanup revitalized this central Manhattan neighborhood, but prices remain relatively affordable.

4-star hotel in Midtown Central $264
This upscale establishment offers thoughtful features, quality rooms and a high level of service. See hotel details

* Fitness Center
* Restaurant(s)
* Business Center
* High-speed Internet Access

Area details: New York's cultural epicenter includes Carnegie Hall, Radio City Music Hall and MoMa, just north of Times Square.
4.0 stars

Ok thanks guys. Thats a good way to look at it Liz, Maybe Id swing 200. Last time I used Priceline (5 years ago) they stuck me 15 miles from town in the middle of nowhere. Id hate for that to happen again.... We will look into hotels more tomorrow.
On a side note: It hasn't stopped raining since we've been here. Hope it clears up this week.

If Mike can find you a 3 star for less than the above, I'd jump on it. I wouldn't stay at a 2 star in NYC, I think 3 stars are likely OK though. The Helmsley mentioned above is a 3 star I think - maybe 3 and a half stars.

The Roosevelt is a 3 star and I actually liked it better than the Helmsley which is 3.5 stars (checking out expedia right now).

Park Central mentioned above is 250 a night on Expedia, it's a good location and it is a 3 star - I've never stayed, but, it's a really nice neighborhood. I'd jump on it for 250 a night.

I can't remember if expedia factors taxes into the price or not - if it does, it is truly a bargain b/c the taxes can add up.

reviews

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...iews-Park_Central-New_York_City_New_York.html

Last edited:
The Roosevelt is a 3 star and I actually liked it better than the Helmsley which is 3.5 stars (checking out expedia right now).

Park Central mentioned above is 250 a night on Expedia, it's a good location and it is a 3 star - I've never stayed, but, it's a really nice neighborhood. I'd jump on it for 250 a night.

I can't remember if expedia factors taxes into the price or not - if it does, it is truly a bargain b/c the taxes can add up.

Yeah. Hotwire adds a fee over the rate they quote.

The one we got, which may be that Theater District one for $265 is the Barclay Intercontinenal.
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ic...te&crUrl=/h/d/ic/1/en/rates/nycha?ias=y&ias=y
$429 for the same nights!

Try a few sites.

Last edited:
$100 - $150? Not a chance. At least not for anything decent.

In January, I stayed at a Courtyard on the Upper East Side for $179/night. By the time you added cab fare to that, it was no bargain compared to the $209 that could be had in midtown. Remember that you're starting to get into expensive season in NY....

A year ago I was consulting for a company that Pricelined me into a decent hotel Midtown. But even that price was over $150/night.

If you haven't booked airfare, look at the cost of the Acela or regular Amtrak service. You might save enough to put a bit more into the hotel.

NYC hotels are an investment. The extra 100 (or more) bucks a night you will spend to stay someplace clean, comfortable, and central, will more than make up for the PITA you will get by staying way out in the sticks or someplace dingy and dreary. You want to be able to walk to the places you are going to eat, take in a show, etc.

Plus, if it is cold and rainy (and it still may be) do you want to add a hellish commute or a dirty sucky hotel to the misery?

am I a complete PITA now? :D

I'll shut up now.

Ok thanks guys. Thats a good way to look at it Liz, Maybe Id swing 200. Last time I used Priceline (5 years ago) they stuck me 15 miles from town in the middle of nowhere. Id hate for that to happen again.... We will look into hotels more tomorrow.
On a side note: It hasn't stopped raining since we've been here. Hope it clears up this week.

Can you swing $200 + tax?

http://tinyurl.com/2mjemt or

http://tinyurl.com/32tjpu

Last edited:
The weather will be okay from tuesday on.
I've never booked a hotel in the city, because people always tend to crash in my apartment.

If you want me to scout out a location for you, though, send a PM.
Rob

Stay away from the JFK. It's near the JFK airport of course.

If you're willing to stay outside of the city, I found much better deals in New Jersey.

Troy thanks for the link, I think were gonna try that second one across from madison square gardens. Rob do you know about the New Yorker Ramada Plaza?
Adam, We still don't have concrete plans for Philly, although we might just be doing a day trip there and driving south towards DC Thursday night. I will definitely hook up with you, i have some stuff for ya too.

Troy thanks for the link, I think were gonna try that second one across from madison square gardens. Rob do you know about the New Yorker Ramada Plaza?
Adam, We still don't have concrete plans for Philly, although we might just be doing a day trip there and driving south towards DC Thursday night. I will definitely hook up with you, i have some stuff for ya too.
I know that it is in a pretty decent neighborhood, (although not as hip as Danos' and Mine. ;) ) It is generally known to be an okay place, although it certainly isn't the Waldorf. The times I've been past it it's certainly not looked too bad, I think that it mostly caters to tourists.
How are you arriving to the city?
Let me know if you want me to find out more.

You might want to look into the St. Mark's Hotel. It's in the Lower East Side in our hip neighborhood. I spent thre night there once when I was locked out of my appartment. It's a cheap clean place and quite affordable. At the time I think it was about 80 bucks. Great location too. Lots of good food around the clock!

- if you spend a lot less to stay further out, your taxi fares are going to eat up the difference (not to mention be a PITA) so you may as well be within walking distance.

Don't be afraid to use the subway system, a wonderful way to get around the city, just don't get off at 125th street at 2am, not that I've done that...:hairraise:

Don't be afraid to use the subway system, a wonderful way to get around the city, just don't get off at 125th street at 2am, not that I've done that...:hairraise:
From someone who has, there's nothing wrong with it. Harlem is great.

Last edited:
Once upon a time, in the 1960s, I was terrified of Harlem. No more. On the other hand, I was pushed onto a pile of trash by a drunk woman who accompanied the shove with a racial/sexist insult around 10:00 pm on 125th one night.

Once upon a time, in the 1960s, I was terrified of Harlem. No more. On the other hand, I was pushed onto a pile of trash by a drunk woman who accompanied the shove with a racial/sexist insult around 10:00 pm on 125th one night.

That sucks. Sorry to hear that. As of late it's really up and comming. Great food, good shopping and LOTS of history!

This was circa 1989/1990. Back then Alphabet City was nasty, but I hear that is a really nice place now.

That sucks. Sorry to hear that. As of late it's really up and comming. Great food, good shopping and LOTS of history!
That was just one night out of hundreds where I just enjoyed the walk. Harlem is an OK place usually.

This was circa 1989/1990. Back then Alphabet City was nasty, but I hear that is a really nice place now.

I remember you couldn't come to Alphabet City without havign a problem of some sort. I never thought I'd be calling it home. Who would ever have known!

We got a room at the Waldorf. 350. Now the question is parking. They say they have valet parking for 55, but do they have a self parking lot? We have too much luggage to park outside the city and take a subway in. we are on our way back to Cape Cod to look at a house, then off to NYC.

We got a room at the Waldorf. 350. Now the question is parking. They say they have valet parking for 55, but do they have a self parking lot? We have too much luggage to park outside the city and take a subway in. we are on our way back to Cape Cod to look at a house, then off to NYC.

The Waldorf does not have self-parking. There may be a local garage that will give you a 24-hour day rate, though.

Do you have a rental car?

Some of the major rental car companies will let you park at their downtown NYC locations either free of charge or at a discount (or at least they did in the past). Make the call to the local car rental location to determine whether they will or won't.

Your alternative is to drop the luggage at the hotel, hightail it out to a remote parking lot, then subway back in. If you choose Laguardia for parking, the cab fare will be as much as the hotel.

Last edited:
True - the money you save may not be worth the hassle, at the end of the day (and you may not save money but add hassle). With NYC my motto is "suck it up and deal". Prices are on a different plane there.

Thanks guys. Looks like were gonna suck it up and just pay the valet parking fee. Were currently 55 miles from NYC. :)

Wow. Remind me not to go to NYC.. I consider $80 a night expensive for a place to sleep.

Back