NY SFRA Questions

Thunderfy

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
James
Later this summer I plan on flying the Hudson River corridor. My plan is to get clearance for the skyline route at 1500' starting from the North, 180 at the Verrazano, go to the East River and cross back over through Central Park. I had a few questions regarding this.

1. Should I do the 180 before I reach the VZ, or does tower prefer you depart the SFRA and do the 180 after passing the VZ?
2. Am I expected to make position reports on the CTAF while I'm also talking to tower?
3. Altimeter setting. I expect I'll get one along with my transponder code, but if I don't, is it recommended to just pick whatever EWR or LGA is reporting?
4. I believe the frequency I would request clearance on is LGA tower, 126.05, but I heard someone say that the the quick-reference guide has the wrong frequencies listed.

Hopefully I'm not asking stupid questions, but I couldn't find straightforward answers anywhere else. Thanks for the help.

did u take the online training for this? should answer a few of your questions

Skyline route is above the exclusion. You’ll be talking to ATC there, and on the CTAF in the exclusion at like 1100. Can’t say about the other questions.

I took the online course, but they don't get into the specifics.

1. Ask ATC
2. No
3. Ask ATC
4. If you’re not on the correct frequency, they’ll tell what the correct one is.

George is right. The Skyline route is inside the Bravo so you WILL be talking to ATC, likely LGA and EWR towers if coming from the north.
If you want to fly the actual exclusion, re-read the training material and fly the VFR exclusion which lies under the Bravo and does not require ATC contact. (which is the whole point of the exclusion)
Be on the lookout for a lot more aircraft and you better post pictures afterwards! :)

Back