NTSB Report - Predator Crash - Pilot Error

Nav8tor

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Nav8tor
I also liked this one:

"The pilot told investigators that he didn't follow the checklist because he was in a hurry, said Pam Sullivan, an NTSB investigator."

Maybe they should fit these things with BRS and he could have just remotely popped the chute.

Also Failsafe mode should include an engine restart if off.

Pete

he probably had to go to the bathroom...

No need to log in (unless you want too). Find details here. It's one of the problems with UAVs flying about.
66' wingspan. A bit larger than your average single engine 4 seater.

IIRC, UAV time is loggable for mil purposes, but civilian employers will laugh you out of the interview if that's what you present when the ask for your logbook.

Heres the NTSB factual report

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=CHI06MA121&rpt=fa

I found this interesting...

I didn't know UAV time is logable. I'll have to start logging my Radio Control flights :D
You can put anything in your logbook. The real question is whether you can use it for additional ratings or future employers. If I were flying UAVs, and it was related to current or future emplyment, you can be sure I'd note it.
BTW: Since UAVs have made it into the public area (Customs), what ratings do you need to fly one? PPL? Commercial? ATP? Rated IFR? Seems as though something must be needed.

I also liked this one:

"The pilot told investigators that he didn't follow the checklist because he was in a hurry, said Pam Sullivan, an NTSB investigator."
Well when you don't follow the check list. The accident chain of events can begin. Running out of fuel, because the wrong fuel tank was selected doesn't help either. Then once the airvehicle lost power it descended below com range before they were able to perform a restart.

So, there you have the many problems that can occur when a check list is not followed.

This UAV is slightly larger, but not much, than my Six (~3,400 lbs gross weight) with a wider wing span.

Some of the smaller UAVs do have chutes.

Last edited:
I was reading an article in some magazine a while back about flying the UAV's. I believe you just needed a commercial multi IFR rating, since you're essentially flying on an IFR flight plan on instruments and video monitors. You talk to ATC from your control panel as if you were in the plane. In fact, the article mentioned one time when an ATC asked the UAV pilot how the ride was while the UAV was over Florida. The pilot responded, "The ride couldn't be smoother if I was sitting on the ground!" Both the pilot and the ATC had a good laugh about that, but from the telemetry they were getting back from the instruments on the UAV they could tell that it really was an incredibly smooth ride.

at iowa state career fair a few years back there was a company that was building UAVs and i believe they wanted 250 hrs and commercial instrument to fly them

Am I the only one concerned that the first thing that went wrong was a "console lock-up?" :eek: Are these things running Windows and MSFS or something?

Am I the only one concerned that the first thing that went wrong was a "console lock-up?" :eek: Are these things running Windows and MSFS or something?

Stolen today...

Imagine the war stories. "Son, you don't know flying. When I was in the Air Force I once had to fly through THREE different BLUE SCREENS OF DEATH in one day!"

Back