NtSB: Pilot Drug Use On Rise

CTLSi

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
CTLSi
NTSB released a report yesterday on pilot drug use based on post-crash toxicology tests on pilots killed in aircraft accidents from 1990 through 2012.

The report indicates rising drug use in pilots of all ages leading to significant safety issues in the sky.

Wanna bet the CO and WA pot antics increase this even more?

http://tinyurl.com/l3e37wq

Lord almighty my landings are bad enough, I can't imagine being drunk or stoned....

You gotta be one crazy ****ed up individual with a death wish to fly impaired. :nonod:

NTSB released a report yesterday on pilot drug use based on post-crash toxicology tests on pilots killed in aircraft accidents from 1990 through 2012.

The report indicates rising drug use in pilots of all ages leading to significant safety issues in the sky.

Don't read much do ya

particularly over-the-counter (OTC) drugs

Weed is nothing, it's the OTC stuff that really screws folks up.

Besides it's all personal responsibility, regardless of the law improvements in WA and CO, it's still illegal to smoke weed and fly, just like its illegal to drink and fly.

Also how can they mention "safety" when they say

However, there has not been an increasing trend in the proportion of accidents for which the NTSB cited impairment from drugs or medical conditions over the study period

Fear mongering much?

Last edited:
“the most common potentially impairing drug pilots had used was diphenhydramine, a sedating antihistamine and an active ingredient in many OTC allergy formulations, cold medicines, and sleep aids.

In other words stuff like benadryl and NyQuil are the problem. Not surprising, that stuff can knock you right out.

Don't read much do ya
Weed is nothing, it's the OTC stuff that really screws folks up.

If you get caught high on marijuana in an aircraft you will lose your ticket. Marijuana is listed on the Federal Schedule 1 of Controlled Substances.

You will be cuffed and jailed under federal law, and you will never be allowed to pilot an aircraft again.

The new DUI in CO is for dope. Here is why.

The Dangers of Driving Under the Influence of Marijuana

Nope. Not at all. I think you're entire post is meaningless and misleading. But this is one statement is even more ignorant.

What I've read suggests the DUIs have actually gone down in Colorado since the legalization of marijuana.

I wonder if increased use of OTC medication in pilots is because we're all getting old and take more drugs in general?

I think it's pretty clear, from the apparent view of the current administration and the FAA that this study has nothing at all to do with illicit drugs. The study pretty much proves as such with only something like 3.x% containing evidence of illicit drugs. It is clearly slanted in an attempt to defeat measures in relinquishing control of the 3rd class medical requirement by demonstrating the rise in OTC and prescription drug use with an aging population of pilots. Check out the actual report.

http://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/2014/ss_drug_use_aviation/3_Toxicology_Study_Results.pdf

Study Results section reads:

"More pilots without a medical certificate had evidence of potentially impairing drugs and conditions

Risk for pilots without medical certificates cannot be accurately assessed without data on active pilots."

The second statement is the only saving grace or hope, given it indicates they really do not have full metrics from which to draw.

Notice the woeful graph on page 15 of the 'Study Results' section.

That Red increase post Sport Pilot Rule, demonstrates the entire agenda's point.

:sad:

Attachments

• Study findings pg 15.jpg
    Study findings pg 15.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 202
Unless there is a corresponding increase in accidents directly attributable to this, I don't really care.

Correlation does not equal causation. That could just mean the population, in general, is using more drugs.

Third class medical doesn't prohibit, check for, or in any way have anything to do with OTC drugs.

Third class medical doesn't prohibit, check for, or in any way have anything to do with OTC drugs.

Except there is a requirement to self-ground if you have or have reason to believe you have a condition that could affect the safety of your flight. I'd say just having taken a couple of Benadryl qualifies in spades for that.

It's true there are no prohibited drugs per se, but there is a requirement to act reasonably.

Except there is a requirement to self-ground if you have or have reason to believe you have a condition that could affect the safety of your flight. I'd say just having taken a couple of Benadryl qualifies in spades for that.

It's true there are no prohibited drugs per se, but there is a requirement to act reasonably.

Doesn't sport pilot require the same thing though?

Doesn't sport pilot require the same thing though?

Sport Pilots self-assess their entire medical capability, including conditions that prevent them from passing any of the medical certifications.

All pilots are supposed to self-assess aero-medical factors.

Sport Pilots self-assess their entire medical capability, including conditions that prevent them from passing any of the medical certifications.

All pilots are supposed to self-assess aero-medical factors.

The first sentence is false. A Sport Pilot is not required to have any ability to pass a medical. Instead, they mush self ground if any condition exists that they should reasonably know will jeopardize safely conducting the flight.

Not the same standard at all. "Safe operation" has nothing to do with passing a medical.

EDIT: I re-read your post, and if you are saying that the SP can assess a condition they have that would prevent them from passing a medical, yet conclude it poses no risk to safe flight (and they'd better be able to make that case well to the FAA), they can still fly...then you are correct and I apologize.

Last edited:

For non-medical operations, this is correct. You have to self certify that you are safe.

For operations with a medical you only have to certify that you can still pass a medical - not that you are safe.

61.53 Prohibition on operations during medical deficiency.

(a) Operations that require a medical certificate. Except as provided for in paragraph (b) of this section, no person who holds a medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter may act as pilot in command, or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while that person:
(1) Knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot operation; or
(2) Is taking medication or receiving other treatment for a medical condition that results in the person being unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot operation.
(b) Operations that do not require a medical certificate. For operations provided for in §61.23(b) of this part, a person shall not act as pilot in command, or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while that person knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner.
(c) Operations requiring a medical certificate or a U.S. driver's license. For operations provided for in §61.23(c), a person must meet the provisions of—
(1) Paragraph (a) of this section if that person holds a medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter and does not hold a U.S. driver's license.
(2) Paragraph (b) of this section if that person holds a U.S. driver's license.

For non-medical operations, this is correct. You have to self certify that you are safe.

For operations with a medical you only have to certify that you can still pass a medical - not that you are safe.

I do not believe that is true. Every pilot has to self-certify that he/she is in safe condition to operate the aircraft before each flight. You implicitly agree that this is the case by starting the engine.

Every pilot has to self-certify that he/she is in safe condition to operate the aircraft before each flight.

Honestly if we really need regulations and oversight for pilots to do that, we're in bigger trouble than we think.

Hard drugs, prescription and otherwise make so much money for banks, ( laundering money, they keep 40 percent) starting legit businesses to launder the millions, ( car dealerships a big one) and so forth it's only been given lip service for many years. ( just imagine nancy Reagan saying "just say no!" A typical lightweight response to a very serious problem. Much more serious than say Isis!) one article I read in the journal a few years back said illegall drug use money could represent a third of our economy. Very possible. It's huge.

The first sentence is false. A Sport Pilot is not required to have any ability to pass a medical. Instead, they mush self ground if any condition exists that they should reasonably know will jeopardize safely conducting the flight.

Not the same standard at all. "Safe operation" has nothing to do with passing a medical.

EDIT: I re-read your post, and if you are saying that the SP can assess a condition they have that would prevent them from passing a medical, yet conclude it poses no risk to safe flight (and they'd better be able to make that case well to the FAA), they can still fly...then you are correct and I apologize.

No apology needed. I may have been unclear.

A Sport Pilot SELF ASSESSES their medical condition. This is the essence of using a Drivers License as a substitute for an AME exam.

If they happen to have a heart condition for example that would prevent them from passing a 3rd class medical, they are still free to fly based on their own judgement.

I see this as a glaring hole in the entire notion of making ANYONE pass a medical.

In other words stuff like benadryl and NyQuil are the problem. Not surprising, that stuff can knock you right out.

I count on that when I need to take NyQuil. Take it before bed and sleep all night. Great stuff. Now, fly (or drive) after taking it? No way!

I read the report which covered two decades and two years that you posted about and here are some tidbits. Wow, really useful stuff. AOPA basically said they don't care about unreliable data. AOPA typically whines and cries anytime a "threat" to general aviation and its associated freedoms may be on the horizon, and you can see their response.

Whats all the talk about medicals ? You don't need one to fly, to actually go fly, nobody is checking them at the door of the FBO. People have been flying without medicals since Wilbur Wright. He didn't have one either.

The rules only shape the behavior of the folks who follow the rules.

Great post, tho

However, the study did not evaluate whether there actually was any pilot impairment in any of the accidents in which evidence of even a small amount of a drug was found
The report noted that "the most common potentially impairing drug pilots had used was diphenhydramine, a sedating antihistamine and an active ingredient in many OTC allergy formulations, cold medicines, and sleep aids
However, there has not been an increasing trend in the proportion of accidents for which the NTSB cited impairment from drugs or medical conditions over the study period." It went on to call for further research to determine whether a positive toxicology finding correlates to actual pilot impairment and the cause of a particular accident.
AOPA urged that the conclusions of the report be regarded with caution. It noted that "there are only a handful of accidents each year in which medical or drug impairment is cited as a contributing factor." "There are just far too many gaps and unknowns in this study for us to be able to draw any meaningful conclusions about aviation safety," said AOPA President Mark Baker.

If you get caught high on marijuana in an aircraft you will lose your ticket. Marijuana is listed on the Federal Schedule 1 of Controlled Substances.

You will be cuffed and jailed under federal law, and you will never be allowed to pilot an aircraft again.

The new DUI in CO is for dope. Here is why.

The Dangers of Driving Under the Influence of Marijuana

Wow another POA legal expert. I was going to reply to the above but see that Original Poster is showing "banned" from POA.

Back to regular programming

:rolleyes2::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Unless there is a corresponding increase in accidents directly attributable to this, I don't really care.

Bingo

And the NTSB report even states that there is no increase.

Like I said just govt. fear mongering.

As one of my officers is so fond of saying, "I enforce state laws, not federal laws."

As such, you MIGHT be arrested for violating RCW 47.68.220, not any federal law.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back