advisory is necessary to avert a substantial risk of collision between
two or more aircraft, or (2) to an aircraft operating in class A
airspace; damage to helicopter tail or main rotor blades, including
ground damage, that requires major repair or replacement of the
blade(s); and any event in which an aircraft operated by an air carrier
lands or departs on a taxiway, incorrect runway, or other area not
designed as a runway, or experiences a runway incursion that requires
the operator or the crew of another aircraft or vehicle to take
immediate corrective action to avoid a collision.

The requirement to report RA's is going to be interesting...

A reason to stay with steam gauges...

a
complete loss of information, excluding flickering, from more than 50
percent of an aircraft's cockpit displays, known as Electronic Flight
Instrument System displays, Engine Indication and Crew Alerting System
displays, Electronic Centralized Aircraft Monitor displays, or other
such displays;

Of course, reporting this stuff "improves" safety.

The requirement to report RA's is going to be interesting...
Yes, it is. Since there are limited exceptions to complying with RA's there could be a lot of reports.

The display issue will be interesting too. Could generate some useful data on reliablility/availability

I'm sort of suprised they didn't require reporting of TAWS alerts - it would be interesting to see how many TAWS "saves" occur.

Of course, reporting this stuff "improves" safety.

Its the first step to understanding if there is a problem, what its magnitude is, and collecting information to formulate mitigations.

The reason the FAA/NTSB are the standard around the world is becuase of the system of analysis and self correction that drives regulation, policy and certification. ASRS is an effort to adjust the system before the accidents accumulate. Lowering the bar for reportable events is the same.

I usually despise the FAA and all their works, but this doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me.

Notice that it doesn't say "inadvertent" or "without permission" when discussing taxiway landings....

Lots of gliders gonna be reporting those landings here soon, I take it?

Where are you getting that this only applies to Air Carriers?

Here:

...any event in which an aircraft operated by an air carrier

Trapper John

Here:

...any event in which an aircraft operated by an air carrier

Trapper John

D'oh!

Its the first step to understanding if there is a problem, what its magnitude is, and collecting information to formulate mitigations.

The reason the FAA/NTSB are the standard around the world is becuase of the system of analysis and self correction that drives regulation, policy and certification. ASRS is an effort to adjust the system before the accidents accumulate. Lowering the bar for reportable events is the same.

If I'm not mistaken, the current mechanism for reporting something like an EFIS failure/glitch is the FAA SDR system, which I think mechanics/technicians are familiar with, but individuals can also use to submit reports.

http://av-info.faa.gov/sdrx/

So, I guess the question is making reporting of such things mandatory rather than voluntary going to improve the quality of infomation gathered? I don't know the answer. But I can see duplication of reporting of events if I, the pilot, make an NTSB report, and my mechanic makes an SDR for the same thing, unless someone is doing a good job of combing through the data.

Trapper John

I don't see this being a big issue but a lot depends on how simple the FAA makes the reporting process.

I'm still completely blown away that the FAA doesn't require total time to be reported as part of the already required annual inspection (or condition inspection for homebuilts). Done online it wouldn't take two minutes per annual and would generate real numbers instead of the usual guesses for hours flown in various makes/models/categories etc.

If understanding magnitude is so frigging important, why don't the geniuses require airplane usage information? Why do the numerators matter if they don't have the number on the bottom?

I usually despise the FAA and all their works, but this doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me.

Your feelings toward the FAA are irrelevant. This is an NTSB rule. Accident and incident reporting is covered by 49 CFR Part 830, not the FARs.

Jon

I want what the definition of a flicker is. Because if that isn't set in stone somewhere, the lawyers are going to be all over it.

Notice that it doesn't say "inadvertent" or "without permission" when discussing taxiway landings....

Lots of gliders gonna be reporting those landings here soon, I take it?

It's an uncontrolled airfield.. who's permission ya gonna get?

(Note: We don't land on the taxiway.. it's within 1 wing span of the tie downs. :nono:) I should say the parrallel taxiway.

I have landed on the cross taxiway.. into a 30knt wind. Only rolled about 50ft.

Back