NTSB: Fatalities Up 13% In 2014

So you dont have a medical, fly from one one uncontrollable field to another and use homeopathic amounts of unrecorded fuel.

You are basically dead for the FAA.
Until I have an accident. Then the accident rate gets really big when you put a zero in the denominator.

For perspective: 29,500 Americans die a year FALLING DOWN! About 25,000 people die from prescription drug poisoning (overdose). 4,800 by walking down the street(pedestrian fatalities).... Then there's boating, ATV and PWC deaths. We can all do better, but it just isn't THAT bad. Now, standing on a chair to replace a lightbulb... that's dangerous!

Last edited:
Straight from 5 gallon cans filled at the local corner gas station.

Probably 10 - 12 gallons total on Saturday.

But, when the FAA calculates accidents per xxx hours, I'm sure the number is accurate.

No it's from reported hours at each medical exam.... Oh, wait.... Everyone doesn't get exams. :yikes:

OK - looked at the survey results (didn't find the form)- the numbers are wonky. For 2013, they show 2056 Special Light Sport and 4157 experimental light sport - that has to include both E-LSA and at least some E-AB. But of course, other standard certificate LSAs are not differentiated from other fixed wing piston as far as I can tell.

My 31 December 2013 FAA database says: 2371 Special Light Sport, and 6834 Experimental Light Sport

My 31 December 2012 database shows 2230 Special Light Sport, and 7129 Experimental Light Sport.

The December 2013 FAA Survey estimates 2143 Special Light Sport and 7590 Experimental Light Sport.

They then modify them by the "active aircraft" estimate. They say 93% of the SLS aircraft are active, vs. 61% of the ELSs.

Ron Wanttaja

Most BFR's are done by a "buddy" CFI or on a hamburger run. A lot of IPC's wouldn't even meet regulatory or PTS standards.

you have evidence to backup that claim?

I've got a "Control Group" of Cessna 172/210 accidents that I use to compare to homebuilt accidents. Here's the causes and percentages:

Pilot Miscontrol (stick-and-rudder errors): 52.0%
Manufacturer Error: 0.4%
Maintenance Error: 3.7%
Undetermined Loss of Power: 4.8%
Engine Mechanical: 3.5%
Fuel System: 0.9%
Landing Gear/Brakes: 2.2%
Other Mechanical: 1.7%
Fuel Exhaustion: 7.4%
Fuel Starvation: 1.7%
Carb Ice: 1.2%
VFR to IFR: 4.3%
Manuevering at low alt: 3.2%
Inadequate Preflight: 1.1%
Fuel Contamination: 0.9%
Midair Collision: 1.9%
Turbulence/Winds: 0.5%
Loss of Control (Unknown): 0.6%
Taxi Accident: 0.6%
Undetermined: 0.7%
Other: 6.7%

Ron Wanttaja

In your control group, have you accounted for the default assumption of pilot error as the cause of the accident?

In your control group, have you accounted for the default assumption of pilot error as the cause of the accident?
I do not use the NTSB probable cause. I read the narrative and make my own decision.

It's the same process I use on homebuilts.

Ron Wanttaja

Back