NTSB Comments on Ethiopian 737 MAX investigation

Yup…we did firearm safety training, and when the day for shooting came around we loaded our rifles and ourselves on top of the instructor’s fuel delivery truck, and headed out to the gravel pit to shoot. :D
I grew up with guns and airplanes. Over time, those skills became second nature. It was a blessing. Many citizens of other countries aren't fortunate to have that kind of upbringing.

As we know, the MCAS system has been heavily ‘de-tuned’.
Two or three simple lines of code got by the standard task analysis and safety review process like the o-rings on the Challenger. I wonder if some engineers spoke up about the risks and were overruled by upper management.

Last edited:
Two or three simple lines of code got by the standard task analysis and safety review process like the o-rings on the Challenger. I wonder if some engineers spoke up about the risks and were overruled by upper management.

Yes, some did. Read the book I mentioned above. But as with Challenger, they didn’t go far enough and let themselves be cowed.

Whether it’s a Champ or an B737 involved, accidents will continue to happen due to human error. Whether it’s an improperly performed inspection, lack of training, programming errors or weather, we are an imperfect breed and will continue to crash, investigate and learn till the last day on earth. I promise you we will be having this same type of discussion in the year 2030, even with more advanced technology available to “help” us. It’s a sad cycle that we find ourselves in, but nonetheless we continue to trust ourselves, others and the equipment to get us there and back safely, all the while knowing that once you leave the ground there’s no guarantee of our return. Hopefully we learn from our mistakes, but we’ll continue to find new ways to kill ourselves aloft along with the standard practices that have killed pilots and their passengers since the airplane was invented. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Selfridge

depends on the situation.
What I mean by that is if the engineer doubts his solution, he will have the integrity to report it and get assistance. Both qualities are important. If you have a brilliant engineer designing a substandard product, that’s a lack of integrity. In the engineering world, I have observed that lack of integrity is the most dangerous. True at the individual level, and absolutely true of the organization.

Whether it’s a Champ or an B737 involved, accidents will continue to happen due to human error. Whether it’s an improperly performed inspection, lack of training, programming errors or weather, we are an imperfect breed and will continue to crash, investigate and learn till the last day on earth. I promise you we will be having this same type of discussion in the year 2030, even with more advanced technology available to “help” us. It’s a sad cycle that we find ourselves in, but nonetheless we continue to trust ourselves, others and the equipment to get us there and back safely, all the while knowing that once you leave the ground there’s no guarantee of our return. Hopefully we learn from our mistakes, but we’ll continue to find new ways to kill ourselves aloft along with the standard practices that have killed pilots and their passengers since the airplane was invented. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Selfridge
The prop from that first fatal aviation accident is in the Air Force Museum in Dayton. That and Udvar Hazy in Washington are a must to visit.

I thought that Icarus was the first aviation fatality, not Lt. Selfridge.

Back