NTSB attorneys

F

Future Airman

Good afternoon,

After years of jumping through the moving goal posts for the FAA regarding a single DUI, I am looking at an NTSB appeal and was wondering who has information on a good lawyer? Thank you.

That’s a big maybe…. The problem is all the chuckleheads running these programs. Getting a DUI no more means your an alcoholic than not getting means your not. But that ain’t how the administrative review of this stuff goes.

Most of the capable AMEs out there suffer from one of two things… they got problems themselves, which is a horrible filter to objectivity, or they’re bought by airlines, which is worse…

The NTSB is the oversight organization for FAA medical (maybe other, just don’t know) stuff.

If you don’t like what they say, you can appeal to them. I know at least three people who have done this, all successfully.

That’s a big maybe…. The problem is all the chuckleheads running these programs. Getting a DUI no more means your an alcoholic than not getting means your not. But that ain’t how the administrative review of this stuff goes.

Most of the capable AMEs out there suffer from one of two things… they got problems themselves, which is a horrible filter to objectivity, or they’re bought by airlines, which is worse…
It's not new and it's not limited to the FAA. I heard a probation officer say, "the first sign of alcoholism is denial. He denied being an alcoholic, so he is one." That was not long after MADD changed society by swinging the pendulum al the way over to the other side, so we're talking more than 30 years ago.

We live in a zero tolerance society. The FAA just reflects us.

The FAA medical system is a perfect storm. It is the way it is due to a LOT of factors. The most aggregious is them being just plain too risk adverse. I get wanting to do the right thing, but at some point, it just is what it is, flying is dangerous. Can’t eliminate ALL the risk.

Couple that with an irrational fear of flying, mix in a pinch of greed and corruption, you get what we got. But it is nearly 100 percent predictable and therefore manageable. And it’s ADMINISTRATIVE… that’s the hardest thing to REALLY comprehend. Lawyers are especially well suited to ADMINISTRATIVE matters.

People think the FAA takes it personally when you get a lawyer involved. They don’t. It’s a big old machine that has no feelings and LOTS of rules delineated by words. They follow their own rules when properly pointed out to them. It’s no wonder they don’t always do this on their own, they got lay people trying to decipher federal law. Which is problematic, but the way it is. Gotta deal with it.

For those who don't know. After asking the FAA to reconsider (a general waste of time), your next appeal is to an ALJ at the NTSB. If that doesn't succeed, you can finally enter the real judiciary, but things are pretty heavily still stacked against you. The FAA is given a lot of leeway into misinterpreting their own rules.

For those who don't know. After asking the FAA to reconsider (a general waste of time), your next appeal is to an ALJ at the NTSB. If that doesn't succeed, you can finally enter the real judiciary, but things are pretty heavily still stacked against you. The FAA is given a lot of leeway into misinterpreting their own rules.

Thanks, I didn't know. All I read was "hey a dude called another dude and it's all rad now" which is less than useless forum content and I was salty for having read it.

It's not new and it's not limited to the FAA. I heard a probation officer say, "the first sign of alcoholism is denial. He denied being an alcoholic, so he is one." That was not long after MADD changed society by swinging the pendulum al the way over to the other side, so we're talking more than 30 years ago.

We live in a zero tolerance society. The FAA just reflects us.
I wonder what that probation officer thinks that non-alcoholics say.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back