[NP]Happy Election Day![NP]

My vote did not count.

I mean it didn't. It only counts if your candidate and/or issue wins. If yours wins, your vote may have made a difference. If yours loses, your vote was inconsequential.
Maybe. Your vote counts (matters) to the candidate that wants it, and the candidate that wants it is the one that's trying to convince you that he deserves it more than the opposition. Sure, if your candidate loses, your vote didn't make a change in the outcome, but you were at least able to force both candidates to consider how to earn that vote.

If you have either a far left or far right ideology then you’re generally never going to have any candidate that represents you - you just vote for the one that you think will do the least harm, which will generally end up being along party lines.
I would say that is the case even if you do not have a far right or far left ideology. In some cases we vote for the candidate that agrees with our views; in most we vote for the one we figure will do the least harm.

In one case I actually seriously considered voting for a candidate with whom I strongly disagreed on nearly everything. Why? Because I figured his effectiveness in getting anything at all done would approach zero. Given the candidates available, stasis would have been preferable to "accomplishment".

Except in the Florida senate race almost 9 million votes were cast and the difference was 38,000 every vote counts!

I was just joking. Kinda. My point was that when any one person says his individual vote doesn't matter, that person is correct. That ONE vote doesn't. Collectively, with 4,500,000 others, sure, but not just that one.

If you have either a far left or far right ideology then you’re generally never going to have any candidate that represents you - you just vote for the one that you think will do the least harm, which will generally end up being along party lines.

And that is part of the problem. Not only do we have voters with far right and far left ideologies but most of the candidates fall into that as well. Then the moderates amongst the electorate in any given election end up choosing the lesser of two evils or the one that represents change from the current extreme and the pendulum swings from one extreme to the next as it has done frequently. It’s a vicious cycle that I see no end to.

Then the moderates amongst the electorate in any given election end up choosing the lesser of two evils ...

I often find myself voting for the lesser of two evils but the opposition party electing the evil of two lessers.....

To be honest, I think the Pres and VP should be separate votes and not a party buy. Most states do that for Gov and Lt Gov.

CA does that, but we are deep BLUE and the top two VP candidates were from the same party.

The Constitution originally had separate lines for President, and VP, but when they were of opposite parties, bad things happened when the Pres. was unavailable. Some amendment changed the voting to how it is now.

Yes, The Constitution of the United States of America. Its basic function is to protect We, the People, from the government, which is a necessary evil.

I always vote straight ticket. Regardless of their campaign or beliefs they are going to vote with their party in congress so might as well have as strong a party as you can make it.

Back