Now I understand the Europeans.....

poadeleted1

Deleted by request
World War II left Europe owing an incalculable moral debt to both America and the Jews: America because it saved Europe from its own savagery, Jews because they were the primary victims of that savagery. European anti-Americanism and anti-Semitism are often hard to tell apart, and it may be because they both reflect a self-loathing aspect of the European psyche--a neurotic need to compensate for an overwhelming sense of historical guilt. (from the WSJ-OJ. No kerfuffles please.)

Interesting piece, KP. Provocative, but I don't buy it. I'm more inclined to believe that Europeans have delusions of grandeur (i.e. we're better than the American warmongers), and are just plain inordinately snotty.

Um. What are kerfuffles?

RotaryWingBob said:
Interesting piece, KP. Provocative, but I don't buy it. I'm more inclined to believe that Europeans have delusions of grandeur (i.e. we're better than the American warmongers), and are just plain inordinately snotty.

Um. What are kerfuffles?

Nice CIB Bob. We didn't get those in the Navy. Those who earned them certainly can be proud of them.

From Merriam-Webster On Line:
kerfuffle
Main Entry: ker·fuf·fle
Pronunciation: k&r-'f&-f&l
Function: noun
Etymology: alteration of carfuffle, from Scots car- (probably from Scottish Gaelic cearr wrong, awkward) + fuffle to become disheveled
chiefly British : [SIZE=-1]DISTURBANCE[/SIZE], [SIZE=-1]FUSS[/SIZE]

F.W. Birdman said:
Nice CIB Bob. We didn't get those in the Navy. Those who earned them certainly can be proud of them.
Wasn't too much to earning one, KP. My recollection is that were awarded for being in a combat zone for 30 days or for being in a firefight, whichever came first. In my case, it was a firefight. (I hate it when people I don't even know try to kill me :yes: ).

RotaryWingBob said:
Wasn't too much to earning one, KP. My recollection is that were awarded for being in a combat zone for 30 days or for being in a firefight, whichever came first. In my case, it was a firefight. (I hate it when people I don't even know try to kill me :yes: ).

It's better when people you DO know try to kill you? Seems to me that would make it awfully personal :rofl:

RotaryWingBob said:

Absolutely understand. In the navy we used to take fire and oh well, it's part of the job. At least later on I did earn some jump wings and a Surface Warfare insignia. But like you say, that a $0.50 will generally get you a cup of coffee in the USA

F.W. Birdman said:
Absolutely understand. In the navy we used to take fire and oh well, it's part of the job. At least later on I did earn some jump wings and a Surface Warfare insignia. But like you say, that a $0.50 will generally get you a cup of coffee in the USA

If we ever meet, I'll buy your whole breakfast.

bharris said:
If we ever meet, I'll buy your whole breakfast.

Thanks Mr. Harris. I appreciate that.:D

I am off this weekend to work on that FCC license. 5 WPM. Bah. I don't want to be jitterbuggin' while flying. Let me talk. LOL. I want an HF rig to fly with.

Last edited:
F.W. Birdman said:
I am off this weekend to work on that FCC license. 5 WPM. Bah. I don't want to be jitterbuggin' while flying. Let me talk. LOL. I want an HF rig to fly with.

One of my goals-

how are you going about learning the code?

SCCutler said:
One of my goals-

how are you going about learning the code?

Don't know about him, but when I got my first ham ticket in 1988 I learned the code by using Gordon West's tapes (came with the Radio Shack Novice course) and a program to practise on my PC (Super Morse, don't know if it is still available or will run on the latest versions of Windows). Did the lessons and practise at lunch at my desk. No code to solid 7 wpm in about 2 weeks. Didn't miss a character on the test.

The code test is given using what is known as the Farnsworth method. The characters are sent at about 13 wpm, spaced down to 5 wpm. You can hear it sent, hear it a couple more times in your head and write it down before the next one is sent. Also, you are allowed to go back and correct mistakes. 1 minute of perfect copy (25 characters) and you pass. If you don't have that (and I didn't in 1992 when I passed the 13 wpm test to upgrade to Advanced) there is a 10 question fill in the blank test on the content of the message. Get at least 7 of the 10 right and you pass.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby.

Ghery, N6TPT
ARRL VE

F.W. Birdman said:
Thanks Mr. Harris. I appreciate that.:D

Just know the names of all the rigs, and all the antennas, and you've got two of the questions right there (since most of the test QSOs have those questions).

Back