Now I get what it's all about - I solo'd

pikespeakmtnman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
n/a
I finally got my solo in this morning. It's been a long time coming but I wanted to make damn sure that I was comfortable with my landing skills before I let my CFI out. Between switching CFIs, weather, and life, it took me quite a bit longer than "normal" but that's fine with me...I'm getting my pilot's license because I want to, not for a job or anything.

https://youtu.be/aQgbq2YGpbE
this is the raw video, about 30 min long and the cool stuff starts at about 13:00 (until then it's just me getting ready and taxiing)...unfortunately the camera stopped on my last approach when I was on short final, oh well

Congrats.

And remember..it was your CFI that had to be comfortable before he allowed himself to be kicked him out of the airplane. :D

What was the density altitude? Takeoff roll seems pretty long for an LSA with a 912, I see the airport is in CO...

Congrats. I still remember my first solo very clearly. I forgot all my other lessons though:)

Congratulations. Now the real fun begins.

What was the density altitude? Takeoff roll seems pretty long for an LSA with a 912, I see the airport is in CO...

I own a CT, and was thinking the same thing. I wonder if he was taking off with flaps 0°... I usually use 15°. Could easily be the altitude though.

I own a CT, and was thinking the same thing. I wonder if he was taking off with flaps 0°... I usually use 15°. Could easily be the altitude though.

It is because of no flaps. With 15º flaps the plane jumps off the runway. My first CFI had me takeoff with 15º and my current CFI prefers the no-flap takeoff....as much runway is available here it's not a problem at all and I like getting the training to be comfortable with both.

Density altitude was probably somewhere around 7700....high DA is a fact of life here and the plane performed exactly as I am used to.

Thanks everyone....now I'm really starting to have fun flying. I've been looking forward to this day for a long time because (besides the obvious) I was getting tired of either just staying in the pattern or the practice area, now I get to actually GO places with my XC flights up next.

It is because of no flaps. With 15º flaps the plane jumps off the runway. My first CFI had me takeoff with 15º and my current CFI prefers the no-flap takeoff....as much runway is available here it's not a problem at all and I like getting the training to be comfortable with both.

dealing with 11,000' of runway must be a struggle...way too much taxi time...:D

Density altitude was probably somewhere around 7700....high DA is a fact of life here and the plane performed exactly as I am used to.

Yeah, the POH says either 0° or 15° for takeoff, dealer's choice.

I always use 15° except in high winds because getting up and out ASAP is a good habit to get into, if flying from shorter strips, which I sometimes do. Extra climb performance is never a bad thing.

Your landings looked good, congrats!

First-solo-flight.jpg

Congratulations, BTW! :)

Thanks for the explanation. I've done 0 and 15 flap takeoffs in the Evektor and the difference isn't huge, but noticeable. I actually prefer the 0 flap takeoff just because it's one less chance I have to forget to retract them.

Of course, my DA most days is MUCH lower(950 foot field elevation) than yours, so I REALLY jump off the runway:wink2:

Thanks for the explanation. I've done 0 and 15 flap takeoffs in the Evektor and the difference isn't huge, but noticeable. I actually prefer the 0 flap takeoff just because it's one less chance I have to forget to retract them.

In the CT, the climb difference is not huge, but the time on the ground and rotation speed change quite a bit. I like 15° because I'd rather get off the ground sooner than spend time rolling at higher speed.

I figure being on the ground at high speed is riskier than being in the air at low speed. :)

All personal preference, of course.

Agree with all of that. It's going to vary, I usually do 15 degrees for the reasons you mentioned. I just try to remember to put them up once I pass through 70 knots(top of white arc).

I don't know about the CT, but in the Evektor the Vy difference between flaps up and flaps 15 is about 10 knots. Vx the difference is something like 1 knot.

Back