"... now close your eyes and ..."

iWantWings

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
wingsIwant
In my most recent (as well as first) flight review, my CFI asked me to do something that no prior CFI asked:

1. Trim for level flight on a westerly heading
2. Close my eyes
3. Make a left 270* and level off when I would *think* I'm on a northerly heading.
4. Maintain altitude and airspeed.

I kind of laughed and said "OK" as long as he keeps his eyes open.

The moment I closed my eyes it was all very "unnatural" and very odd because, although I've never done any IFR training (besides the basic recovery from unusual attitudes while under the hood), i did not even have instruments to figure this:
a.) How much pressure to I apply on the yoke to get something no more than 30*?
b.) Once I get a constant bank to the left, for how long do I keep the bank, to get through 270* left turn (and end on a 360* heading)
c.) How do I keep my altitude and airspeed in check?

So I did what "felt right", and here's what happened.

While maintaining what I thought was some constant bank, all seemed good until after about 15-20 seconds when I began hearing a slight increase in wind noise and maybe engine noise - that was a sign airspeed was increasing, which meant I was pitching down (since i wasn't playing with the RPM) so I pulled on the yoke "a little" until the engine and wind noise began going back to whta was previously "normal", and then I pitched slightly forward agai and held it there, waiting for more change in sounds. The sound "seemed" to have stabilized, so I maintained what I thought was a left turning bank at constant altitude.

What about the left 270* turn? I so blew through it... and I told my instructor I must have gone past the northerly heading because I began feeling the heat of the sun on my arms, so I guessed I must now be going on a westerly heading, so I stopped my bank and moved the controls to what I thought was wings level.

With my eyes still closed, he asked me now to do a right 180* while, again, maintaining speed and altitude, and leveling off when I thought my 180* has completed.

And so it went for about 4 to 5 minutes. When I opened my eyes, for a few seconds I had no idea where the heck I was or which way I was pointing. A few seconds later I figured I was 180* off from where I thought i was (and who knows if I had passed through it by a number of revolutions, likely so), but the good thing is that I was at about 300 feet highter than the 3000MSL i started at (surely with ups and downs).

This was an "eye opener" for someone flying with the literal "eyes closed". It was amazing how the only things I could rely on were the sound of the wind going past the fuselage, the note of the engine RMP, and the heat of the sun on my face and hands.

You gotta love and kiss those instruments :D ... or the ability to see the sky.

Last edited:
Good lesson,you can understand how easy it is to get disoriented.

Sounds like to took decent care of the altitude with the inputs that you had (hearing!). On the heading, even though you have no idea what your bank angle is, I'm still shooting for a minute and a half in my head (1, One-thousand, 2, one-thousand...) and that should put you pretty close to your heading provided you're not pulling a steep turn or something like that. Great training exercise, and good job on it!

Every unusual attitudes drill I had done since my private days was to close my eyes while the AME did a variety of manouvers to disorient me. On my instrument checkride, the examiner did sort of what yours did. Had me close my eyes and attempt to fly a few manouvers. This was REALLY unnerving. I was certainly glad when I could open them and recover from the unusual attitude I was in. It certainly gave me some of the "panic" one might gets in if one loses the picture while in the soup.

That sounds exactly like what I want to do with my ex-CFI buddy one day. Never got to do it with my CFI. (we did unusual attitude recovery under the hood, naturally - and I loved those)

You did well no the altitude by RPM reference, that is smart and not everybody thinks of that but you need to substitute other senses for loss of vision.

FWIW, next time I fly (VFR), I will try to pay close attention to control pressures that I exert for a standard-rate turn.

Last edited:
Welcome to instrument training....a constant state of disorienting flight. Not a day went by that I was not drained, tired and had a headache.

Sounds like fun. I haven't had one flight review yet. All of my checkrides have been before the 2 year mark

I went up with an instructor that wasn't my normal instructor during my instrument training and he had me do this. It was prefaced as an unusual attitudes maneuver, meaning that I was going to close my eyes and fly myself into an unusual attitude.

He told me to make a turn to the left. I started the slightest turn I could fathom then returned the controls to neutral. He made a comment stating that all turns should be standard rate. I made a comment stating that without reference to the TC I had no way of telling what standard rate was. He had me turn back to the right for a while, then told me to open my eyes and recover. As I recall I was in a less than 30 degree bank and pretty much level.

I really didn't care for that exercise and have no desire to repeat it. I'd much rather have the instructor take the plane, mess it up, then tell me to recover.

Every unusual attitudes drill I had done since my private days was to close my eyes while the AME did a variety of manouvers to disorient me. On my instrument checkride, the examiner did sort of what yours did. Had me close my eyes and attempt to fly a few manouvers. This was REALLY unnerving. I was certainly glad when I could open them and recover from the unusual attitude I was in. It certainly gave me some of the "panic" one might gets in if one loses the picture while in the soup.

The thought of having a total instrument failure is sobering - I'm guessing not likely, but not impossible either. Although I (can) only fly VFR, I see the value in redundant systems critical for IFR (as well as staying proficient in actual IMC).

Sounds like to took decent care of the altitude with the inputs that you had (hearing!). On the heading, even though you have no idea what your bank angle is, I'm still shooting for a minute and a half in my head (1, One-thousand, 2, one-thousand...) and that should put you pretty close to your heading provided you're not pulling a steep turn or something like that. Great training exercise, and good job on it!

Your idea about using something like a standard rate turn is a good one (I think at about 90 knots, 15* bank, you get something like 3*/sec, so 2 minutes for a complete rotation?).

That would have worked - assuming a good guess on how much deflection on the yoke gives a 15* bank, and then hold it steeeeeady.

That sounds exactly like what I want to do with my ex-CFI buddy one day. Never got to do it with my CFI. (we did unusual attitude recovery under the hood, naturally - and I loved those)

You did well no the altitude by RPM reference, that is smart and not everybody thinks of that but you need to substitute other senses for loss of vision.

FWIW, next time I fly (VFR), I will try to pay close attention to control pressures that I exert for a standard-rate turn.

You'd be surprised at how well you can guess the amount of pressure for turns less than 30* bank. Try it - with another safety pilot on board, of course. But one think for sure I cannot figure out is how to "feel" when my turn is not coordinated with the rudder. I totally lack the feeling for that.

Welcome to instrument training....a constant state of disorienting flight. Not a day went by that I was not drained, tired and had a headache.

For my personal "criteria", "checkbox", or whatever the term, I don't consider myself a "real pilot" until, at I minimum, I can fly IFR. Until then I consider myself a "sunny sky, weekend warrior". (not a popular idea, but it is my own).

I'm saying this because my goal is to, "one day", learn and do exactly what you did ;)

Sounds like fun. I haven't had one flight review yet. All of my checkrides have been before the 2 year mark

All right, it's good to stay ahead of the game and fly with a CFI on occasion. You can also try more things when you have a good safety pilot with you.

I went up with an instructor that wasn't my normal instructor during my instrument training and he had me do this. It was prefaced as an unusual attitudes maneuver, meaning that I was going to close my eyes and fly myself into an unusual attitude.

He told me to make a turn to the left. I started the slightest turn I could fathom then returned the controls to neutral. He made a comment stating that all turns should be standard rate. I made a comment stating that without reference to the TC I had no way of telling what standard rate was. He had me turn back to the right for a while, then told me to open my eyes and recover. As I recall I was in a less than 30 degree bank and pretty much level.

I really didn't care for that exercise and have no desire to repeat it. I'd much rather have the instructor take the plane, mess it up, then tell me to recover.

I guess on occasion it is good to fly with a CFI other the the one you're used do - you never know what you'll end up learning, or different scenarios (for better or worse).

For example, my CFI would perform the same routine for recovering from unusual attitudes. One day I did the same recovery with someone else: the DPE ;) And it was totally different - for instance, she, without me knowing, had gotten the trim completely OFF, and when I recovered, I felt really weird because I had to apply a great deal of pressure just to remain level after recovery. I knew I was in stable flight, but I was comfused for a moment that "something isn't right" since I had to exert so much pressure to remain level.

Anyways, little things like that I like in finding out from different CFIs.

I did the same thing with my instructor right before the checkride. He asked me to stay level, though - ended up in a nice descending spiral to the right well into the yellow. Very sobering.

Back