Novel Perspective: Opposing Bases

Captain

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
First Officer
Not sure if this has been mentioned before here, but:

I recently discovered a podcast made by two ATC controllers from the Triad that is very informative and useful to pilots (especially those working on instrument stuffs). Their day job is Tower and Approach control at CLT but they both fly on the side and put out a 30 min or so podcast each week.

Its called Opposing Bases (play on two bases, left and right, to parallel runways) and should be available on all major podcast services. Give it a spin and it may be your cup of tea. APG turned me on to them so credit there. ;)

Have listened to them for a long time. They are well past 200 episodes at one per week. Started a little beyond Episode 100, and then went back to the beginning. It is the most painless aviation education you will ever get. These guys are fun, and they are both pilots and controllers. One is a NG King Air and Chinook driver, and the other flew RJs. So they know both sides.

Their podcast actually makes me look forward to Mondays.

It's been mentioned, but it's worth mentioning again. Great tips for using ATC.

Easily my favorite aviation podcast. Informative and entertaining. They're kind of like Click & Clack if anyone remembers the NPR radio show Car Talk, but a bit less silly and a bit more useful knowledge.

I used to enjoy Don Brown’s articles in Avweb. He was a center controller. I think he stopped writing in 2006 when he retired, and since then, there hadn’t been much GA directed ATC content until these guys came along with their podcast. I’ve been at this for a while, so a lot of the material covered isn’t quite as revealing to me, but as an instructor I always enjoy listening to see what ATC related issues trip folks up so I can focus on addressing them when I conduct IPCs. For new pilots, especially new or training instrument pilots, it’s a great podcast.

I’ll mention that in addition to NG and regional professional flting experience, they’re both active GA flight instructors. I also like the fact that they work in an upstairs/downstairs operation, so they have experience from both the local control perspective as well as the radar approach control perspective.

Note: Your non-flying spouse will be bored to tears so plan accordingly.

What is “NG”?
National Guard. One of them (I can never keep them straight) flew Chinooks previously and now flies a King Air for the Guard. The other flew for a regional carrier for a few years. It's an unusually broad range of aviation experience represented.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before here, but:

I recently discovered a podcast made by two ATC controllers from the Triad that is very informative and useful to pilots (especially those working on instrument stuffs). Their day job is Tower and Approach control at CLT but they both fly on the side and put out a 30 min or so podcast each week.

Its called Opposing Bases (play on two bases, left and right, to parallel runways) and should be available on all major podcast services. Give it a spin and it may be your cup of tea. APG turned me on to them so credit there. ;)
Just an FYI. They are not at CLT. They are at GSO, Piedmont-Triad airport.

Both great guys in person too.

National Guard. One of them (I can never keep them straight) flew Chinooks previously and now flies a King Air for the Guard. The other flew for a regional carrier for a few years. It's an unusually broad range of aviation experience represented.
AG flew Chinooks.

I used to enjoy Don Brown’s articles in Avweb. He was a center controller. I think he stopped writing in 2006 when he retired, and since then, there hadn’t been much GA directed ATC content until these guys came along with their podcast. I’ve been at this for a while, so a lot of the material covered isn’t quite as revealing to me, but as an instructor I always enjoy listening to see what ATC related issues trip folks up so I can focus on addressing them when I conduct IPCs. For new pilots, especially new or training instrument pilots, it’s a great podcast.

I’ll mention that in addition to NG and regional professional flting experience, they’re both active GA flight instructors. I also like the fact that they work in an upstairs/downstairs operation, so they have experience from both the local control perspective as well as the radar approach control perspective.

Note: Your non-flying spouse will be bored to tears so plan accordingly.
I’ve listened to a few of them after they’ve been mentioned on threads here. The last one, the poster gave the time in the podcast where the subject in discussion started. I liked that because they have a lot of ‘filler.’ Like they promise an hour and they have to fill it up with something. I’d probably check it out regularly if they gave a list of subjects they were going to cover and the time that subject started.

I’ve listened to a few of them after they’ve been mentioned on threads here. The last one, the poster gave the time in the podcast where the subject in discussion started. I liked that because they have a lot of ‘filler.’ Like they promise an hour and they have to fill it up with something. I’d probably check it out regularly if they gave a list of subjects they were going to cover and the time that subject started.
Yeah, I start by fast forwarding to 3:00 minutes in to get past the intro.

You listen at 2x speed, takes half the time. I drive between houses, a 2 hour drive, I listen then, better than some dumbass dj

You listen at 2x speed, takes half the time. I drive between houses, a 2 hour drive, I listen then, better than some dumbass dj

Thats how I listen to Uncontrolled Airspace. 1.5x it makes the hosts seem just a little hyper sometimes. lol. it also makes them seem unnaturally slow when I go back to normal speed.

Thats how I listen to Uncontrolled Airspace. 1.5x it makes the hosts seem just a little hyper sometimes. lol. it also makes them seem unnaturally slow when I go back to normal speed.

Yes, just to be clear, I listen at 1X, I don't like the way it sounds sped up. But I have plenty of time lately too.

Aviation News Talk Podcast is also essential.

Back