Notes from Newark Tower (long)

Teller1900

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I am a dad!
Had an absolutely fantastic tour of the Newark Tower, this morning. The controllers could not have been more welcoming, or seem more eager to talk to us! The facility is beautiful, and the view was even better than I expected. Unfortunately, the Sup on duty asked that I not take pictures, so all I got was the shot of the outside of the tower, below.

After a quick elevator ride to the 23rd story, we walked the last two flights of stairs up to the cab of the 328ft tall tower. Just like walking up the steps into a baseball stadium on game day, the last few steps into the cab were astonishing. The stairs face straight out over the 22s, and thus out toward downtown Manhattan...no better way to be welcomed to work every morning, I'd say.

The supervisor and Traffic Management Coordinator sit in the middle of the cab, in the middle of a U shaped desk facing the runways. Turning right at the top of the stairs it's a good 20 feet or more to the windows facing the departure end of 22, in front of which stands the traffic management and Clearance Delivery controller. He stands over the ubiquitous metal frame, used to hold the every growing pile of paper strips that come off the printer ever 30 seconds, or so. This is where most of the similarities to other towers I've seen end. He also oversees the computer running the AWOS/ATIS, D-ATIS, and PDC services, as well as a second computer that allows them to look up...well...anything. Want to know the weather at Lyndon? It's on there. Want to know how much runway you have remaining on 22R at M? It's on there. I'm pretty sure the only bit of information not on there is the baseball scores...and maybe they just didn't have time to show us that.

Five feet to the right of the clearence guy is the Flow Control position. This is the guy that figures out who needs to be where and in what order on the taxiway so that everyone can make their assigned departure time with the nessisary spacing over each of the departure fixes. The position was closed this morning, as they were actually pretty slow, but the woman showing us around said this is everyone's least favorite place to work, "it's absolute chaos." I can imagine why, he's the guy that has to coordinate with the ground controller and figure out that plane X has a wheels-up time of XX:XX, so he needs to be at the runway ahead of so many other airplanes, but he also needs 3 other planes between plane X and plane Y ahead of him, because they're both going out over WHITE. Now how do we get them both there on time? Part of that also involves working out gatehold procedures...but that's a whole different mess.

Making a 90 degree turn next to flow is Ground Control. He, too, has his own frame for the strips, with one that really stands out labled in bright red "TAXI." Not surprisingly, they call this the taxi line. All the strips below the taxi line are actually on a taxi way in his control; above it, he's just waiting to hear from them. The paper strips are only half his effort, though. He also has a digital strip system next to him. When someone calls for taxi, he scans their strip on what looks like a grocery store scanner, and all their data pops up on this screen. From here he hands them off (both physically with the paper, and digitally) to Local Control.

Above the ground controller's head are two flat screen monitors on a roller track and fully adjustable arm. One has the local airborne radar feed (complete with extended final approach courses for all the EWR runways, and depictions of all the airports and waterways in the area) and the other presents an electronic depiction of the airport diagram in green monotone. There are a dozen or so little green blobs moving around the airport, thanks to the airport's surface survalence radar (not the official name). The system only displays data tags for arriving aircraft - departure are nothing but a blob...it astounds me how they get anything done when the ceilings are down! The computer picks up targets on about 1 mile final, and from then on predicts where they're going to be in 20 seconds, and alerts the controler if there is a conflict. They're currently testing the next gen system that will give data tags for everybody and is supposed to give them a much better "look" at what's happening on the airport.

Five feet to the left of ground is Local Control (tower). Much like the previous positions, he has his strips in front of him and radar display above him. The one thing at this position that really caught my eye was a 6inch by 4inch metal box with two large red buttons on it, one labled TEST and the other CRASH. They didn't demo that system for us.

Making another 90 degree turn there's room for another local controller, but again this position was closed today. 180 degrees and about 20-30 feet behind the tower controller (facing away from the airport) was yet another controller, sitting over a radar screen. Unfortunately I forget what his position is called, but this is the guy that handles all VFR traffic in EWR's airspace (which, coincidentally is only 8 miles in diameter, and if you're outside that, they really don't want to talk to you).

Next to this last guy are the stairs from whence we came. And thus ended our tour, almost two hours after we first arrived.

Other notes:
1. There is no love lost between the folks in the tower and the folks in NY TRACON! (TRACON doesn't seem to care about spacing/speed control when they hand planes off to the tower).
2. There is no love lost between the folks in the tower and the folks in FAA management (but that's no surprise).
3. They don't want to bust you, but the FAA is cracking down...if you make a mistake ADMIT IT and they'll fix it, that way no one gets in trouble.
4. If you're unfamiliar or uncertain about anything ASK. They will never get mad if you ask for clarification (though one guy did admit they sometimes get grumpy if they have to repeat themselves)
5. If you're not sure if you've been cleared to land ask somewhere BEFORE short final, as they tend to have a mild heart attack when someone asks in the flare (they start wondering if they missed something/the runway is fowled).
6. Telling them you've got traffic on TCAS does NOTHING for them.
7. Calling the airport in sight does NOTHING for them.
8. Calling preceading traffic in sight does EVERYTHING for them.
9. Maintain your speed to the marker/5 mile final, after that they don't care as long as they can maintain 2.5miles of separation on final.
10. If they give you a DP or heading departure, for God sake, fly the right thing!

Those were the sailient details, as best I can remember. It really was a wonderful morning in the tower (followed by a great flight and darn good landing in ORF, if I do say so myself :D), and I really appreciate the hospitality of all the fine folks in Newark Tower - and all of ATC, for that matter.

Attachments

• IMG_0228.JPG
    IMG_0228.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 18
Great description. Sounds like fun. I'm going to have to visit our local tower some time and put faces to the voices I keep hearing (and, no, not voices in my head!) :D

7. Calling the airport in sight does NOTHING for them.

Now, this was *TOWER* only, right? 'Cuz I'm pretty sure calling the field in sight when you're talking to TRACON does mean something - Specifically, "71G, cleared visual approach, contact tower..." ;)

Thanks for the excellent report! :yes:

Now, this was *TOWER* only, right? 'Cuz I'm pretty sure calling the field in sight when you're talking to TRACON does mean something - Specifically, "71G, cleared visual approach, contact tower..." ;)

Thanks for the excellent report! :yes:

Yes, exactly. Newark isn't up-down (not surprisingly, right :)), so this was only the advice from the tower standpoint. TRACON will definitely want to know :yes:.

Great description. Sounds like fun. I'm going to have to visit our local tower some time and put faces to the voices I keep hearing (and, no, not voices in my head!) :D

I would highly recommend it! Bring all your voices along, they'll show everyone around :smilewinkgrin:. This is, I think the fourth tower I've been to and I learn a lot every time! Next stop will (hopefully) be Potomac Approach or Wash Center, if we can get it set up.

I forgot a couple other interesting bits...
At their peak, Newark was handling 60+ operations per hour.
Now, due to airspace constraints, runway utilization problems, and the FAA's crackdown on separation minima, their max is around 35 per hour. Unfortunately they're still scheduled for 50-60 at many times during the day, which is why a delay program is almost guaranteed pretty much every day around noon.

Also, the controllers dislike RJs almost as much as we do! :rofl:

I forgot a couple other interesting bits...
At their peak, Newark was handling 60+ operations per hour.
Now, due to airspace constraints, runway utilization problems, and the FAA's crackdown on separation minima, their max is around 35 per hour. Unfortunately they're still scheduled for 50-60 at many times during the day, which is why a delay program is almost guaranteed pretty much every day around noon.

Also, the controllers dislike RJs almost as much as we do! :rofl:

Matt why do they dislike RJs I just flew a CRJ from CLT to EWR, it was fast and quiet. seems as fast as any 737

You spent two hours in the cab and that's all you wrote??? Gosh!

Great write-up!

Thanks, Matt - that was a great writeup.

I would highly recommend it! Bring all your voices along, they'll show everyone around :smilewinkgrin:. This is, I think the fourth tower I've been to and I learn a lot every time! Next stop will (hopefully) be Potomac Approach or Wash Center, if we can get it set up.
I have been in two towers, both very pre-9/11 and had pretty much given up since the draconian security measures of the last 7 years were put into effect. Did you have to go through any special arrangement to get this set up?

I have been in two towers, both very pre-9/11 and had pretty much given up since the draconian security measures of the last 7 years were put into effect. Did you have to go through any special arrangement to get this set up?

Nope. Actually, its surprisingly easy. All my visits have been in the last 2-3 years. They're making it all much more pilot friendly it seems, as it would appear they really want to talk to and hear from us. All I had to do was give the names of everybody attending to my contact in the tower (which I got by asking clearance delivery for a phone number) and she passed that on to the gate guard. Showed up at the tower that am and got our visitors badges, then met our tour guide who signed us in on the log and off we went. None of the towers were ever any more difficult. As long as you call them ahead of time, they don't seem to cause too much hassle at all!

nice write up....closest i get to ewr tower is when im taking a commercial fligh tout of there or i saw something on the hstory channel or discovery or one of those channles about ATC and they featured newark tower...i think someone posted up a link to that show on youtube aorund here..

BTW did you fly right into ewr for the tour or what?

nice write up....closest i get to ewr tower is when im taking a commercial fligh tout of there or i saw something on the hstory channel or discovery or one of those channles about ATC and they featured newark tower...i think someone posted up a link to that show on youtube aorund here..

BTW did you fly right into ewr for the tour or what?

I'll have to look for the show, I think I remember seeing something on it. If memory serves, though, that was in the old tower; sounds like this one is much nicer.

Yes I flew into EWR for the tour, but it's a little easier for me as my airline is based there and I go there three times a day :D.

I've been up to Midway and DuPage post 9/11 without any difficulty. Maybe we could do Rockford one of these days? (I don't think O'Hare would be able to hear our request!:nono:)

Cool write up. You can do a lot on the IDS-5. At PHL TRACON there is an interface to order fried chicken from the local place around the corner.

DSP (departure spacing program), which is the system you saw the ground controller use with bar coded flight progress strips is really pretty neat. The ZNY "pit" (responsible for releases, flow control, etc within the lateral boundaries of ZNY) connects in with the DSP systems used in their airspace so everyone is usually in the loop. This is how coordination is accomplished without the laborious use of land lines in many facilities.

I know that calling the airport in sight makes RDU approach very happy - things happen as soon as ya do that. :)

I know that calling the airport in sight makes RDU approach very happy - things happen as soon as ya do that. :)
Austin likes to know you have the airport in sight but they are a lot happier if you are doing more to track other traffic so they have less concerns about separation.

Cool write up. You can do a lot on the IDS-5. At PHL TRACON there is an interface to order fried chicken from the local place around the corner.

DSP (departure spacing program), which is the system you saw the ground controller use with bar coded flight progress strips is really pretty neat. The ZNY "pit" (responsible for releases, flow control, etc within the lateral boundaries of ZNY) connects in with the DSP systems used in their airspace so everyone is usually in the loop. This is how coordination is accomplished without the laborious use of land lines in many facilities.

Thanks for filling in the details Jason! They showed us everything in so much detail, it was tough to keep track of all the acronyms and such! They didn't show us the fried chicken function...that must be an ATC secret :rofl:.

SkyHog said:
Excellent write up, Teller! I'm going to have to see if I can go visit the new Double Eagle tower after Monday.

Hopefully you can, and they'll let you take pictures. I'd be curious to see what kind of gadgets a brand new tower has.

Austin likes to know you have the airport in sight but they are a lot happier if you are doing more to track other traffic so they have less concerns about separation.

Ya, approach will definitely want to know that you have the field in sight so they can just clear you for the visual and/or starting pointing out traffic. For Tower, though, once you're on an approach it doesn't help them any to call visual/field in sight. All they want to know is if the preceding traffic is in sight so that, as you said Ken, they don't have to worry so much about separation. Always tell the TRACON you have the field in sight!

Always tell the TRACON you have the field in sight!
Really? why? I never do unless TRACON or tower asks me to advise if I have the field in sight. I figure if they really want to know they will ask me otherwise I am just using up the airwaves for superfluous info. At least that is my opinion.

Really? why? I never do unless TRACON or tower asks me to advise if I have the field in sight. I figure if they really want to know they will ask me otherwise I am just using up the airwaves for superfluous info. At least that is my opinion.
Something about that visual approach thing... ya either gotta have the field in sight or the preceding traffic. Otherwise, no visual approach.

It makes sense to tell them. That way, they can give you the visual, which is less work for them and for you. It's one of those "expectations" they have that aren't really written down anywhere as far as I know.

-Felix

It makes sense to tell them. That way, they can give you the visual, which is less work for them and for you. It's one of those "expectations" they have that aren't really written down anywhere as far as I know.

-Felix

Exactly. It's not required, by any means. But if you can call the field and their traffic/terrain situation allows, it can de-burden both of you A LOT if they can just turn you loose for the visual. It will get you to the numbers a lot faster, too, than having to be vectored for the full downwind/intercept. If you're not familiar with the area or aren't sure if you're actually seeing the right airport, by all means let them vector you right to down to the ground.

Hmmm... It isn't necessarily appropriate in every situation, but I'd say that more often than not, reporting the field in sight will mean LESS frequency time is used.

Examples:

1. VFR, on flight following, approaching an uncontrolled field:

Me: "Center, 71G, field in sight."
Center: "71G, radar service terminated, squawk VFR, frequency change approved."
Me: "Squawk VFR, 71G, G'day"

vs.

Center: "Warrior 8116B, do you have the field in sight?"
You: "Affirmative, 16B"
Center: "16B, radar service terminated, squawk VFR, frequency change approved."
You: "Squawk VFR, 16B, G'day"

2. IFR, approaching uncontrolled field:

(with VFR cloud/vis requirements met)
Me: "Center, 71G, field in sight, cancel IFR."
Center: "71G, your cancellation is received, squawk VFR, change to advisory frequency approved."
Me: "Squawk VFR, 71G, G'day"

(without VFR requirements met)
Me: "Center, 71G, field in sight."
Center: "71G, cleared visual approach, change to advisory frequency approved, cancel with xxxx"
Me: "Cleared for the visual, 71G"

vs.

Center: "November 16B, expect vectors to the xxx approach."
You: "Uh, 16B has the field in sight."
Center: "Okay then, 16B, cleared visual approach, change to advisory frequency approved, cancel with xxxx"
You: "Cleared for the visual, 16B."

If we don't report the field in these situations automatically, ATC has to waste the frequency time to either ask us if we have the field, or to ask us to report field in sight, and we have to reply. That's a waste of frequency time. Yeah, it's completely pointless if you're in IMC until you need to begin an approach, or if you're already talking to tower, or some others, but that doesn't mean it's always pointless unless they ask for it. :no:

Back