NOTAMs are ridiculous...

Loved it!
Great Attenborough voiceover guy...
Loved the "FAA employees sitting at computers" bits...
You must have a "stock footage subscription" service of some sort... which must've paid for itself on this one!

Loved it!
Great Attenborough voiceover guy...
Loved the "FAA employees sitting at computers" bits...
You must have a "stock footage subscription" service of some sort... which must've paid for itself on this one!
yes this one was a lot of stock footage...with some extras on top of some shots.. :)

Very well done. Sad that it is true. Just like a lot of things in aviation- ridiculously out of date and overpriced.

When you land and collide with a black horned rhino you will wish you had read the NOTAM assuming you live thru the crash and the pride of NOTAMed lions. It won’t be a laughing matter then.

This gotta be a sticky. All kinds of of punchlines aside, it ended in something where actual action might maybe lead to something. The fixingnotams.org thing. But somewhere there is a shyster patiently awaiting someone to smack an unnotamed black horned rhino and hit the jackpot. Can you spell Tort boys and girls? @FlyingMonkey, thanks for sharing your talent, resources and time to a good cause.

Great video! We need a new category for the radar altimeter notams. Yesterday, I dutifully briefed a flight from S50 to TIW (Seattle area) in a 1940 Fairchild which has no navigation equipment other than the pilots eyeballs. 15 NM flight and 15 different radar altimeter notams. A system begging for some filtering ability.

Well done!

Would fixing the NOTAM system really be that difficult? I feel like a couple high school kids in a remedial computer class could come up with something better.

Would fixing the NOTAM system really be that difficult? I feel like a couple high school kids in a remedial computer class could come up with something better.
Part of the problem is the system, a bigger part is what is allowed/required as a NOTAM. The volume of NOTAMS for most GA and Commercial flights is ridiculous. 201 foot AGL cell towers, 10miles from an airport are un-needed except for maybe helicopter flight and I'd be curious if helicopter pilots actually use them vs. a Garmin database
The system could be set up to filter based on criteria e.g. obstruction > 500 ft AGL and < 3 miles from the airport. That one filter would eliminate 60 to 80% of the volume on most flights I brief and improve safety as it would make the important ones easier to find.

An important topic and great movie making. Congrats and thank you for doing something about this ridiculous system.

Well done!

Don’t be ridiculous. This is the government we are talking about - simplicity and logic have nothing to do with it.

Besides, we have already benefited from the major NOTAM improvement program of 2022 (which I’m sure involved multiple committees, untold MISSION-hours, and huge sums of taxpayer dollars)… they’ve changed the acronym to be more inclusive!! What more could you possibly want?!?

Back