Not that anyone gives a crap....

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
But I pulled the trigger this morning:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp? skuId=8878841&type=product&id=1210379087904

Dell - XPS Desktop with Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E8400

3.0GHz
1333MHz
6GB RAM
PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM
640GB hard drive size
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

With my snazzy 24 inch monitor, I'm ready to roll! Now to get
photographic accessories for it.

It is what it is. I was sick of looking. My cheapie laptop runs Vista just fine, how bad can it be.

Oooohhhh, you got a Dell? My condolences if you ever need warranty work, which in my experience you will. My wife was without her laptop for 5 months (three motherboards, a hard drive, and limitless aggravation later ...)

Elizabeth, if you can, change the order. Order a second identical drive. This will enable you to externall image your HardDrive, and reconstruct it even if your boot drive track is corrupted. Say "g'bye" to Hard Drive failures.....

"Oh than you master, mikea......"

Even better, change the order to a Mac Pro and save yourself all the hassle :D

-Felix

Elizabeth, if you can, change the order. Order a second identical drive. This will enable you to externall image your HardDrive, and reconstruct it even if your boot drive track is corrupted. Say "g'bye" to Hard Drive failures.....

If either of you listened to me you would NEVER cross the threshold into the pit of despair that is Best Buy and NEVER buy a Dell ('cept for Dell monitors.)

well, my plan is to have a large external backup where I will regularly dump files...

-Felix

Oh God, please please PLEASE do not turn this into another bloody Mac vs. PC thread. We already have too many of those, and two going on right now (one of which started as an iPhone topic and somehow devolved into Mac vs. PC). Let's please just keep this one on the topic of the laptop Elizabeth already purchased...

Elizabeth - If you ever want to borrow my copy of TrueImage and take a snapshot of your system, or you just need some local geek help, just let me know.

Thanks Tim!

Thanks for the input and info these past few months, everyone. In the end I just wanted it over with - but I think I got a really good one and the price is right. I bought a really nice 24 inch monitor and I can't wait to see my photos up on the big screen.

I've been really lucky with computers so far - I'm not a geek about them and all I really do is surf and photography - as long as I have the photos backed up I should be good to go..

Oh God, please please PLEASE do not turn this into another bloody Mac vs. PC thread. We already have too many of those, and two going on right now (one of which started as an iPhone topic and somehow devolved into Mac vs. PC). Let's please just keep this one on the topic of the laptop Elizabeth already purchased...
Hey, I agree with you. I just couldn't help myself :)

What Bruce said. Times two. :rofl:

Teh drive doesn't have to be identical, unless you want to be able use it right away.

The image backup programs will make an image file and can restore a drive the same size or larger.

Just get a good brand USB, firewire, or ESATA external drive\, depdning on what the PC is capable of. USB is universal and the backup programs can use it.

I'd say Seagate but now you gotta only get the upper end ones: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150414 50001305&name=Seagate
also LaCie:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150414 50001900&name=LaCie

Trust these guys:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/External-USB/

Elizabeth,

I got a Dell XPS M1330 in Feb (2 Duo T9500 2.6GHz Proc & 4GB RAM /w Sprint Broadband) and I it's worked great. I was really leary of Vista but havent had any problems with it yet. I did get a 1TB external drive to b/u both the desktop and the laptop.

-Felix

If they'd come up with something between a Mac Pro and iMac, I'd agree with you 100%. A Mac Pro is just too much machine for most people's desktop computing needs, while an iMac lacks the capability for someone such as myself who would like a Mac, but likes to fire up Flight Simulator or other games from time to time and can't stomach the price tag needed to get the real video card in the Pro. It competes more with the professional workstation lines of HP and IBM and not so much with mainstream desktop units.

I was plesantly surprised with the MacBook when I bought my wife her new laptop. Spec for spec, a MacBook is very competitively priced with similar Windows based offerings. Since she's infinitely more familiar with OSX (she's been using Macs at work for the past 10 years) the small price difference (less than $100) became immaterial to the decision making process.

I'm running 5 Dells at our office and have had only one problem in all the time we've had them. (5 years maybe) And that problem was a jammed CD drive.

Back