"Not So Obvious" Hangar Accessories

WIFI is pretty handy.

My CJR hangar is a bit barebones: sofa, dable and chairs, tool box, air compessor, fridge, device to activate the block heater by cell phone.

My NC26 hangar has a sink with hot and col water, air compressor, central vacuum, as well as an entire house attached with indoor and outdoor kitchen, bedroom, wine cellar, office, workshop, ...

My NC26 hangar has a sink with hot and col water, air compressor, central vacuum, as well as an entire house attached with indoor and outdoor kitchen, bedroom, wine cellar, office, workshop, ...
Living the dream!

We built our 8NC8 hangar a bit oversize so it would fit an assembled 15M sailplane. After struggling to get the occasional tow, we decided to trade it in for something with an engine. We shared the space with our neighbor's J3 until deciding to build something.

Then the accessorizing started in earnest... kick the Cub out, build an insulated shop with HVAC, add another door, fabricate a 'cantenna' to hack into the house wifi, and add all the normal shop accessories including a fridge, sound system and a cat. As things proceeded, a paint booth took over a third of the shop.
Paint Booth

We commuted to 14A every weekend for years in order to cavort around Lake Norman. Finally got a small boat to fish our Falls of the Neuse Lake.

After struggling with swapping the boat and the RV10 around in the hangar, a new accessory in under development - we're punching another hole in the side of the hangar and putting in a 7x7 garage door for the boat.

3G/4G has made the cantenna obsolete and we need a new cat...

Every good hanger should have a Humidor and some Single Malt

along with a Platinum Club upstairs (Members Only)

If in the area of 47N (Central Jersey Regional) feel free to stop by.

Mike in NJ

attachment.php

<7500> I've seen photo series on airport cars. This thread makes me think a photo series of hangar couches would be funny.</7500>

Much nicer hangars than mine, just ask some of the POAers that were here in April.

I would love to have a fridge but would need a garage kit on it so it didn't defrost on me in the cold weather.

Last edited:
Popcorn machine picked up at a garage sale.

Shotgun

Rubber duck for throwing at a scrounger looking for a rubber ducky antenna.

Cheers

good pawnshop special 6 or so speaker sound system

These days I prefer a decent computer speaker system, with subwoofer, and a smart phone.

Pandora and Slacker beat anything that's on the air around here (especially Slacker) plus I have over 2500 of my tunes loaded up if cell service sucks.

Alternately, if you have XMWeather/music on your Garmin handheld, then you could plug it up to the computer speakers. IF you can get XM reception inside the hangar, I've never been able to in any hangar I've had...nor inside any house.

These days I prefer a decent computer speaker system, with subwoofer, and a smart phone.

Pandora and Slacker beat anything that's on the air around here (especially Slacker) plus I have over 2500 of my tunes loaded up if cell service sucks.

Alternately, if you have XMWeather/music on your Garmin handheld, then you could plug it up to the computer speakers. IF you can get XM reception inside the hangar, I've never been able to in any hangar I've had...nor inside any house.
If you haven't tried it yet, check out the Bose bluetooth speaker. I don't know how they do it, but it sounds better than my 4 speakers with subwoofer in the hangar. The Bose is taking over from all my speaker setups. I even take it out in my Jon boat fishing. That may not apply to all bluetooth speakers.

I often pull the plane out in and use my EPSON HD video projector and a pair of powered monitors and blue ray player to show movies on the back wall of the hangar.

We also periodically conduct wine education classes in the hangar.

XM sells an antenna for in house / in hangar use of your device. But that was years ago, don't quote me on it.

I was going to say fire truck, seems every eccentric private airport has a couple of them.

I had a buddy that hung a parachute on his ceiling and stuffed a pair of pants and boots that attached to the ceiling. It looks like the guy fell through!

I had a buddy that hung a parachute on his ceiling and stuffed a pair of pants and boots that attached to the ceiling. It looks like the guy fell through!

I love your new avatar! You look so pretty and so official!

Is that your hangar? 'cuz it sure looks a lot like Bob Bement's hangar... I guess a spare antique fire truck should be added to the list!
I suspect that the reason it looks a lot like Bob Bement's hangar because it's a photo originally posted by Bob Bement of his hangar accessories.

My hangar has 1 airplane, 1 pop up camper (popped up), 1 unplugged refrigerator (oil / solvent storage), 1 workbench, 1 stereo, some book cases, junk, and a floor that is returning to nature.

One guy at my home airport has a 30'ish inch TV in his hangar. He put a DirecTV dish on a short pole, and then put the pole in an umbrella base. When he's there for any reasonable amount of time he sticks the thing outside and watches TV while he's messing around with the plane.

For months I wondered what the circle with a line sticking out of it spray-panted on the tarmac was for... he aimed the dish once, then painted a circle on the ground, a line on the umbrella base, and now it takes 10 seconds to set up.

Here's one... a MoGas tank... preferably on a set of trailer wheels. :)

No fire engine in my hangar, but during the few coldest months my boat is in there:

Here's a picture of it in the water
Charlotte-2010-1.jpg

No fire engine in my hangar, but during the few coldest months my boat is in there:
Whoa! The perfect lake cruiser.

I'm thinking only an airplane owner could appreciate wood boat maintenance.... or perhaps only the owner of a classic boat could appreciate aircraft maintenance.

Whatever floats your.... oh, nevermind

I'm thinking only an airplane owner could appreciate wood boat maintenance.... or perhaps only the owner of a classic boat could appreciate aircraft maintenance.

I've found that there's a lot of commonality between wooden boat owners and vintage aircraft owners.

My experience (having owned wood and fiberglass boats) is that it isn't the hull material - it's the maintenance history. Much like airplanes.

A couple coats of varnish goes on pretty quick each spring. Not much more time than polishing.

Re-coring a deck on a fiberglass boat is an effing nightmare.

getting back on track:
scanner, flag, magnets (hang things on metal siding), CO detector, floor squeegee

getting back off track:
satellite dish, gas grill, baseball glove

Back