Not flying enough to stay insured?

orange

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Orange
When I renew rental insurance, they always send a questionnaire to update hours, training, certificates, etc.

Last year, I only flew a little over 9 hours (5-6 flights). Lack of time, work, etc

Can the insurance (AVEMCO) drop me or raise my premium for not flying enough?

Probably, personally I would not feel proficient at that rate, unless it was with a CFI.

Pretty sure they can drop your coverage at any time for any reason. They ask the hours to determine where in their risk categories you fall.

The loss ratio on non-owned aircraft coverage is miniscule. They won't drop you, you're too profitable.

Pretty sure they can drop your coverage at any time for any reason. They ask the hours to determine where in their risk categories you fall.

The loss ratio on non-owned aircraft coverage is miniscule. They won't drop you, you're too profitable.

These two. They may just find it in their cold little hearts to raise your rates to keep you profitable. :)

OP needs to fly more. It is very difficult to say proficient with those sorts of hours. And our avocation is very unforgiving of mistakes.

Not a problem.
I've flown 22 different aircraft, comprising 15 different types in the last 12 months.
I don't dare bring that up to my insurance carrier.

Not a problem.
I've flown 22 different aircraft, comprising 15 different types in the last 12 months.

I don’t imagine they’d care much of that level of detail. All I’ve ever gotten is hours in past 12 months, 90 days, and total time in type. Sometimes they ask about time in certain other types that have relevance, but they ask, not me.

Ask yourself this question. I gave you $500 for an insurance premium, would you rather insure me flying a rental airplane 9 hours a year or 250 hours a year? Which pilot has the higher odds of an accident?

Ask yourself this question. I gave you $500 for an insurance premium, would you rather insure me flying a rental airplane 9 hours a year or 250 hours a year? Which pilot has the higher odds of an accident?

It's not the 250 hr pilot.

Not a problem.
Almost the exact opposite of my situation, sorry, I don't get your point.

When I renew rental insurance, they always send a questionnaire to update hours, training, certificates, etc.

Last year, I only flew a little over 9 hours (5-6 flights). Lack of time, work, etc

Can the insurance (AVEMCO) drop me or raise my premium for not flying enough?
Can they? Sure. I'm pretty sure recent experience is a good thing from an underwriting standpoint. Based on a presentation I saw recently, it has relevance to accident rates.

Will they? Beats me.

You don’t have to worry about the insurance companies dropping you,you have to worry if it’s worth it to keep buying insurance and not flying.

Back